honestly, are we set at DB spots?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanFanInCC, May 9, 2006.

1. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

youngsters in cc brown and glen earl playing safety....and who is going to be the CB other than dunta to start? i hope not pbuc or faggins. any worthy free agents out there or rumors that im missing?

2. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

The only half-way decent free agent CB's left are Ahmed Plummer and Ty Law, and we haven't brought either in for a look and I doubt we will. Casserly had a thing for PBuc when he was coming out of college, and he obviously still thought he had a chance to be a good corner when he traded a 2nd and 3rd choice for the guy based on the 3 games of tape he looked at. I think Buchanon could be better in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4, but I'm not holding out hope for him to even play at a "good" level. I'll settle for mediocre, anything's better than watching him get picked on consistently like last year. I'm fairly certain they're planning to go into the season with the current roster in the secondary, which is surprising, but hopefully an improved pass rush will help take the focus off of how pitiful our secondary is aside of DRob.

3. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

No, we are thin at DB. But a good front seven can help out a lot.

4. phan1

phan1 All Pro

It's really hard to have 2 good DBs on both sides of the field. "set" is really relative. Even if Buchanon hasn't been that great for us, most teams would still like to have the combination of DRob and Buchanon on their team. As for the secondary in general, Earl and Brown will hopefully come in and play well for us, cause I'm not sold on them at all. But they're young and can only get better.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think we are really hurting at FreeSafety.... I think our corners are fine. 4-3, 3-4........ I don't think really matters for Buchannon........ the thing is that the front 7(regardless of front) has to do their job. Stop the run, and pressure the QB. If they can do that, and allow our FS to do his job....... coverage over the top, inside/outside help, then PB is going to shine. Last year, when he was pretty much playing like a safety(cueing in on the run, having to choose which route to cover), there really wasn't a lot that he could do.
    PB provides good coverage, but he really plays the QB more than the WR.... which is why he gets beat, the way we played last year, but when the front 7 are doing their job, he'll get us a lot of turnovers too(INTs).

If the front 7 do their job, I bet you they stop throwing the ball to PBs side by mid season, maybe sooner, because he's going to hurt them.

6. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

As blockhead said there's not really anyone available except Ty Law and Plummer. The only way we could get one besides that is trading, and I find both of the scenarios unlikely. I look for us to stay with who we have this season because Kubiak said it was a strength for us.

7. I wonder how long it's going to be before Buchanon starts blaming somebody that he's not used right in the 4-3.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

What about that kid from Buffalo?

9. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

...didn't we sign a free agent from the Patriots?...thought I read that in one of the many other posts on this subject...

10. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Really it would not shock me if Ty Law came walking in here. Unless they think our PASS rush is going to be great, which would really help out PBuc and DRob. A LOT.

11. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Michael Stone

12. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I pretty much agree with this. A more forceful pass-rush will make our secondary look WAY better. Even D-Rob will look better :)

13. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

ummm our secondary isn't that bad. In fact it is one of the better groups in the league. When you have the worst pass rush in the NFL what could you expect. We probably ranked around 30th in sack but if you watch the film we were even worse than that, we very rarely ever put the opposing QB under "stress". Lets be honest even D-Rob didn't look that good last year. P-Buc will look like a new man if we start pressuring the QB.

As all the NFL experts always say. "You show me a great secondary and I'll show you a great pass rush right in front of them."

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the problem with our defensive backfield is that both our starting safties are good against the run and poor against the pass...then pbuc is who is just too much of a moody player for me...he'll tackle when he wants to but that's too far and between to be a starter...faggins just doesn't have the talent IMO to be a starting corner right now...if he continues to develop he might be a decent starter at corner but right now i see our needs for next year being a number 2 corner and a starting FS along with a MLB

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Aww c'mon man, give him a few games to at least see if it gets any better before you start picturing him in full-on blame mode.

I'm hoping that an increase in pressure makes Buchanon start to look a lot better. I don't expect miracles to happen but I'm thinking he'll be pretty good if the line is bringing pressure and it should since they're now our teams self-proclaimed "strength".

16. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

I think we'll see more man coverage this year. It seemed like there was a lot of standing around last year. And maybe we'll finally see our best cover DB on the opposing team's best WR.

On a related note...

Texans | K. Curtis named NFL Europe's Defensive Player of the Week
    Tue, 9 May 2006 07:32:37 -0700

NFLEurope.com reports Houston Texans S Kevin Curtis has been named NFL Europe's Defensive Player of Week 8 following an outstanding display during his Cologne Centurions 20-13 defeat of the league-leading Amsterdam Admirals.

17. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

...from an AJ post about Kubiak comments at the luncheon...

"...and get used to the name Michael Stone. I thought he was just another name on the roster before today but Kubiak spoke very highly of him...."

Capers rarely spoke about particular players and 'what they brought to the table' or about decisions made during the course of a game. I believe Kubiak will give us fans more 'insight' into the 'nuts and bolts' of the team decision making process, including giving us specific info about our questions/concerns. So, while fans have concerns about the DB situation, I believe Kubiak is on top of it...

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think as we get better we will see less and less of that though. I think at this point the Texans want us to know so that they can cover for the draft decision.

I believe that Kubiak saw alot of Michael Stone though so I'm sure he knows more than us about the dude.

19. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

Anyone a Patriots fan and saw Stone play last year?

20. Tayton

Tayton Veteran

Stone is listed as a SS we need a CB to play opposite D Rob. That position will be tested all year if we don't address it.