Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Holding--the lost penalty?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
In the last three games the Texans have played there has been exactly 1 OL holding call on either team--Pitts in OT against MB. Watching the tape of these games it is blatant that holding could have been called numerous times. Wong and Babin in particular have been held a bunch on not even close calls. Now this thread is not accusing the refs of going against the Texans, that observation is just because I review the front seven for the Texans more when the opponents have the ball and the Texans skill players more when we have the ball so it may be our guys were holding just as much as there.

Maybe this is a result of the emphasis on the 5 yd receiver contact so the refs are focusing too much behind the line and missing these calls. Anyway, like the refs allowing the WR's to push off the DB's this year, something to keep in mind when judging the performance of the front seven.

I was coached to hold if my hands were near the chest of the defender. They will almost never call that.

TheOgre said:
I was coached to hold if my hands were near the chest of the defender. They will almost never call that.

I understand the holding within the frame of the body that happens every play. What has gone on in the last three games are flagrant--one play where Babin beat a guy around the outside and the guy just grabbed Babin's right arm at full extension and held on. On another play, Babin was moving around a guy and the guy held his arm out straight sideways with his forearm against Babin's throat. Another one was a similar full arm extension to the side of the body across Wong's waist to stop an already successful inside move. In past years it seems like these kinds of holds would have drawn a yellow rain storm of flags. Don't know if the refs are concentrating too much on the down field contact but something is up.

Just a thought but the refs may not call holdings because it hurts the offense and points scored by putting teams in longer situations. Sort of like what the league did to DBs.

The big problem with not calling holding, when it occurs on every play, is the referee gets to decide the game. They aren't dummies and have to know the affect of the TIMING of their calls. Their defense is to pull out the tape and say "see, he was holding."

Can anyone forget the phantom roughing call on Kailee Wong against Brady at the end of the game (don't worry Tom. I know it's 4th down, but if no one catches your pass, you'll have a fresh set of downs).

How about the phantom interference in overtime of our New England game? They couldn't even find it on the replay (there goes our interception).

How big was the call on Walker when Harrington was intercepted? Harrington sure wasn't acting like someone who had been roughed up.

I think the refs are well aware of when 1 call can change a game.

Back