Hodgdon?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Dec 6, 2006.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I am guessing a center next offseason is in order?

2. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I am so sick of the constant drone that Kubiak won't draft a RB early. The guy in your link Brewhaus repeats it for what must be the ten thousandth time and as usual points to Denvers track record of drafting backs late in the draft (with the exception of Portis). That's his basis for saying the Texans won't go for Adrian Peterson.

All kubiak did was try and pick a back in the first round during his first draft here in Houston but nobody bothers to make note of that. If he'd had his way we would have drafted DeAngelo Williams late in the first after trading back up to snag him and this has absolutely nothing to do with Hodgdon or the Texans need for a center......nevermind.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Oh but it brings up some real good anticipation. Hey Kubes even stated that our RB don't do a good job of making people miss.

5. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The Broncos could stick anyone in there because of the line. Get a respectable line, you magically end up with a 1.000 yard back.

6. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

And I've wished we would have been able to get him all year, kid is starting to turn into a damn fine RB.

7. real

real Guest

You know we'd have had to skip over Meco...

No thanks....

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I agree with you on this. If I could have had Williams and Ryans then sure, I'd do that even if I only got one of my 3rd round tackles but I wouldn't give up Ryans to get a good RB right now after what I've seen this year. Something special is going on with DeMeco Ryans. It's nice to see that happen in a Texans uniform for a change.

9. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

If that was the price, then no. But for anything after that or even a pick this year I would have been all over it.

I had never thought that teh Willimas trade up would have lead to Ryans not being a Texan. Did the football gods favor us on that Saturday or what.

10. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

At the expense of DeMeco and Owen Daniels...

I think the Texans were targeting trading with the Bears at the # 26 spot. I don't think the Texans would have given up a 3rd rounder though. Too expensive (840 pts vs 700 on the infamous draft chart) Trading their 4th rounder would have made some sense (692 pts vs. 700 pts).

I think Buffalo might have screwed the plan up by shipping their #42 and #73 to the Bears.

That is likely what it would have cost. Sometimes the best deals are the ones that aren't made.

Texans Horror likes this.
  11. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I think Kubiak is not too concerned with his running corps right now. Lundy is pretty good for a rookie, and if Dayne continues to improve, they will be an impressive 1st/2nd half punch. I think the Center position is the one that the Texans will want to upgrade. Kubiak has made the comment before (sorry, no source) that Hodgdon isn't the best size for Center. I don't expect him to be here next year. I expect a center drafted in the first day.

12. mexican_texan

Kalil from USC. Write it down.

13. Texans Horror

What is it about Kalil that stands out?

14. mexican_texan

He is an obvious fit for a zone blocking scheme.

15. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

And I say Datish fits better. Opinions we all have them.

16. Texans Horror

Good to know. I'm assuming big, fast, and smart. Awesome.

17. mexican_texan

Gets off blocks quickly.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Hodgdon is bigger than longtime Bronco center Tom Nalen, who is generally
    considered one of the best ZB centers in recent times. If Kubiak has some reservations about Drew, I don't think its his size.
    And very unlikely the Texans use a first day pick on an interior OLineman. Tackles yea, but not a center or gaurd.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

most of Hodgdon's weight and strength is upstairs....he isn't very powerful downstairs...and that is what is key inside. Personally, I don't think he has enough junk in the trunk.

20. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I don't know how much the Texans should try to mimic the Denver o-line physically. The Denver line is unusual in its size and effectiveness.

Maybe instead of trying to copy something that works even though it is rare we should try to run a similar scheme with more standard players. Why try to build something rare when building something more easily achievable would still improve us by leaps and bounds?

IIRC, the coaches gave all the Texans players their weight goals before they did any practicing in pads. The coaches seemed to make their decisions based on Denver's physical measurements before they saw how quick, agile, and strong the Texans were at their usual playing weight. That may have been a mistake.