historical draft question

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by badboy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We usually think of trades during draft for teams not wanting to spend big bucks on high 1st round selection or to gain extra picks. Or a team willing to risk a move up to get that special player that just might get that team more W's. My question is has a team moved up to select a player to keep another team from selecting said player? I can not think of any such move but it does seem a plausible scenario to keep a competitor from getting a move up with a certain player. Seems as if it would be very expensive do so & imo would occur only if the team trading up needed the same type player on their roster.

I could see it happening this year for several players that may be their @ #15.

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think you hear more of teams threatening to do things like this to get them another team to select a player so that the team threatening can get the guy they wanted all along.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Well we all know the Titans selected Vince Young to mock us... but that didn't involve any trading. ;)

4. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Isn't that what happened last year when New Orleans jump ahead of Cincinatti to take Sedrick Ellis ?

http://www.drafthistory.com/

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2008

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

6. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

Yes, I could see divisional rivalries doin' it, if they covet the same player...but to do it out of spite is a fairly expensive move. I believe teams can trade their draft choice to another team on draft day: ala the Eli Manning trade.:shades: