Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hill Signed

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Anthony Hill is official

Texans Sign Fourth-Round Pick

Houston Texans fourth-round tight end Anthony Hill is now under contract after agreeing to an undisclosed deal today, the team announced.

Hill is a 6′6, 269-pound former North Carolina State player who caught 79 career passes for 852 yards and five touchdowns.

Drafted 122nd overall, Hill caught 19 passes for 234 yards and four touchdowns last season. And he averaged 10.8 yards per reception for his career before being drafted by his hometown team.

Hill overcome a serious knee injury that sidelined him in 2007.

Hill is the third player of the Texans’ rookie draft class to sign. Defensive backs Brice McCain and Troy Nolan have already agreed to terms.

bckey

All Pro
That is good news. I'll be glad when all the draft picks are signed and all hold outs signed.

I don't like to hear people say he's replacing Bruener because Bruener was barely even active last year. I'd love to see this guy driving back defenses for Slaton and maybe even catch a TD or two using that size.

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
This means the Texans have signed their draft picks from rounds 4-b, 6 and 7. Their round 5 pick, James Casey, has not been signed. I know it is too soon to be concerned, but to the extent that they are signing their picks in reverse order of selection, Casey has been skipped.

Probably this does not mean anything. I am just sharing an observation.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don't like to hear people say he's replacing Bruener because Bruener was barely even active last year. I'd love to see this guy driving back defenses for Slaton and maybe even catch a TD or two using that size.
He was brought in for his reputation as a bulldozer.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
This means the Texans have signed their draft picks from rounds 4-b, 6 and 7. Their round 5 pick, James Casey, has not been signed. I know it is too soon to be concerned, but to the extent that they are signing their picks in reverse order of selection, Casey has been skipped.

Probably this does not mean anything. I am just sharing an observation.
They signed Mccain before Nolan, so I doubt it means anything that they signed Hill before Casey.

Insideop

All Pro
The article in the chron says he got a 4 year deal. Here's some of what it said:

Hill, a Houston native who played at North Carolina State, signed a four-year deal worth $2,206,500. He was the team's second fourth-round draft choice in April and the third draft pick to sign. Hill follows cornerback Brice McCain and safety Troy Nolan.

Hill (6-6, 269) and James Casey, a fifth-round pick, are competing for playing time behind veterans Joel Dreessen and Owen Daniels.

It doesn't say if he got some guaranteed money or a signing bonus but I'm sure he did. Most in the later rounds get a signing bonus.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The article in the chron says he got a 4 year deal. Here's some of what it said:

Hill, a Houston native who played at North Carolina State, signed a four-year deal worth $2,206,500. He was the team's second fourth-round draft choice in April and the third draft pick to sign. Hill follows cornerback Brice McCain and safety Troy Nolan.

Hill (6-6, 269) and James Casey, a fifth-round pick, are competing for playing time behind veterans Joel Dreessen and Owen Daniels.

It doesn't say if he got some guaranteed money or a signing bonus but I'm sure he did. Most in the later rounds get a signing bonus.
Generally, these deals are signing bonus plus 4 years of veteran minium salaries.

Insideop

All Pro
Generally, these deals are signing bonus plus 4 years of veteran minium salaries.
Yep. Looking at the deal Rich Ohrnberger got at pick #123 (Hill was picked right before at #122) it shows he gets 1.75 million over 4 years and a $451,000 signing bonus. Hill will get the standard 1.75 million over 4 years and a $456,500 signing bonus (if my math is correct) for a total of $2,206,500.

So, for the most part, the lower round picks (3rd and lower) are getting a 4 year deal at 1.75 million and a signing bonus based on where they were picked. The higher the pick, the more bonus money. Is that right AT?

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Yep. Looking at the deal Rich Ohrnberger got at pick #123 (Hill was picked right before at #122) it shows he gets 1.75 million over 4 years and a $451,000 signing bonus. Hill will get the standard 1.75 million over 4 years and a $456,500 signing bonus (if my math is correct) for a total of $2,206,500.

So, for the most part, the lower round picks (3rd and lower) are getting a 4 year deal at 1.75 million and a signing bonus based on where they were picked. The higher the pick, the more bonus money. Is that right AT?
looks correct to me

ubecool454

Veteran
I think they drafted Anthony Hill to be a blocking TE but the good news is, he can catch, block and run pretty good. I don't think it hurt Owen Daniels to miss the last couple days of mini camp but if he holds out during training camp one of these many TEs on the roster might make him expendable. I'm a Anthony Hill fan anyway because he is another player from down home. I might be getting a little ahead of myself but, Hill might end up being the best all around TE we have.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I think they drafted Anthony Hill to be a blocking TE but the good news is, he can catch, block and run pretty good.
I've seen him play a number of times and he can catch, I mean he doesn't have stone hands or anything. The thing I think he will need to work on is running crisper and faster routes.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I'm sure they'll design a play or two for him but he's here to shade & enforce the blind side making Duane Brown's job not so difficult as appeared to be last season. Hill is all about helping the offensive line unit first, dictate the tempo & execute the playbook.

I would like to see him come up big in the playoffs with a red zone score or two but just as much busting Dwight Freeney in the chops :boxing:

I think they drafted Anthony Hill to be a blocking TE but the good news is, he can catch, block and run pretty good. I don't think it hurt Owen Daniels to miss the last couple days of mini camp but if he holds out during training camp one of these many TEs on the roster might make him expendable. I'm a Anthony Hill fan anyway because he is another player from down home. I might be getting a little ahead of myself but, Hill might end up being the best all around TE we have.
I'm going for Dreesen as the all around guy. Probably because I haven't seen Hill play but Dreesen does it all: catches, blocks, plays special teams, the works. None of it great but all of it well. OD is the money hands guy (I guess that works on two levels right now hehe), Casey should be that same type player. If Hill comes as advertised and can use his size to get some catches he'll be right there in the all-around category. Imagine 6'6'' 270 with room to run and your job, as the 6'1'' 210 safety, is to go tackle that freight train. :mcnugget: Yeah right. Good luck getting that foot print off your face.

He was brought in for his reputation as a bulldozer.
I know, I just want to see that bulldozer at least make contributions to the team. I mean if he's replacing Bruener as the on-the-roster-but-terminally-inactive guy then I'm pissed.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I like Anthony Hill a lot. Him being a hometown boy at Clear Brook HS also helps!

The only concern I have with Hill are his knees.
I can't find the link, but I read that when he came back from a torn ACL in 07, in an interview during spring practice (?), he said that the injured knee feels good. It feels better than the other knee (?) I don't know what he meant by that (???)

The first game I watch him play was the Clemson game (third game of the season), when I saw him clutch his chest after a play. He then missed 4 games, I believe, but that injury sounds like it's over with.

I watched a few more games of his, UNC and Miami definitely, and a couple othes I can't remember, he looks erratic coming out of the gate.
I can't help but wonder whether because he doesn't have flexibility in his knee. Maybe CNND can give his inputs here on the medical stuff.

Sometimes he would miss the blocker on either side so easily.
Sometimes he just miss the LB on the second level so easily on a run block (looks like he just ran to an empty space.)

But once he can latch on the defender, he can throw a mean block, or he can drive the LB right out of the stadium.
When TSeminole talks about running crisper route, it also seems to me that he had the same inconsistency, which again, makes me think about his knee(s).
Sometimes he would look real fluid, sometimes he would look a bit like a tank.

Don't have to worry about his hands though, that I agree with Ubecool.

He looked better in the Senior Bowl.
He looked real good at the combine.
His running seems better, and he can catch them balls.

I think he had fully recover from the knee injury. Don't know about long term since I'm not in the medical field, and I don't know the extent of the injury.
I wonder if he has any minor problem with the other knee?

That's something we can oberve during TC.

If it was just a matter him needing time to come back (he missed the entire 07 season and 4 games last year), then he should be fine.
His production was very good in 06 (but I didn't get to see how he moved before the injury.)

It's probably just a matter of technique, and learn to play low with the pads more consistently.

If that's the case, I believe Hill will turn out to be a very good player.

I'd love to see him finish all of his block, and not stopping in the middle, because he surely can drive them and it's fun to watch that, LOL!

And I agree with BL, I watched another interview, and he seems to be the kind of guy who puts his team first.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm going for Dreesen as the all around guy. Probably because I haven't seen Hill play but Dreesen does it all: catches, blocks, plays special teams, the works. None of it great but all of it well. OD is the money hands guy (I guess that works on two levels right now hehe), Casey should be that same type player. If Hill comes as advertised and can use his size to get some catches he'll be right there in the all-around category. Imagine 6'6'' 270 with room to run and your job, as the 6'1'' 210 safety, is to go tackle that freight train. :mcnugget: Yeah right. Good luck getting that foot print off your face.

I know, I just want to see that bulldozer at least make contributions to the team. I mean if he's replacing Bruener as the on-the-roster-but-terminally-inactive guy then I'm pissed.
I like Dreessen a lot. Looks like he had taken his game up another level. I wished they had called more plays for him.
The Texans can always carry 4 TEs, so they all have a place. And when you have too many players, some number may not be called. Like Kubiak said, they just have to work hard in practice, and when given a chance, make an impression.

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
Will the Texans carry four TE's if they carry three QBs? doubtful. Four TEs is actually too many. I guess you could make a case that Casey is not a TE, but I think Dressen is in serious danger of not making the team.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Will the Texans carry four TE's if they carry three QBs? doubtful. Four TEs is actually too many. I guess you could make a case that Casey is not a TE, but I think Dressen is in serious danger of not making the team.
I really have no idea how things will shake up.
But there's always the option not to have a "designated" LS.

Also, what did we do when we have both Leach and Cook at FB?
We had 3 TEs, 2 FBs, 3 RBs, and a LS, is that right?

Dreesen just got a contract extension. Unless he tanks camps he's probably alright. 3 QBs is the doubtful part to me.

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
Dreesen just got a contract extension. Unless he tanks camps he's probably alright. 3 QBs is the doubtful part to me.
When the Texans had Rosenfels, they had a proven backup quarterback who many people periodically recommended, based on his performance on the field, that he should be made the starter.

Now the Texans have two unproven veterans and an untried redshirt freshman practice squad guy. Can they afford to go into the season with that much uncertainty? When the Texans went into the last few seasons with only two QBs, they were taking a chance, and they were running lean at that position. Also, four TE's is more than most teams typically carry, to be sure.

I think the Texans will carry three QBs, and the number of TE's on the roster will be influenced by that.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
When the Texans had Rosenfels, they had a proven backup quarterback who many people periodically recommended, based on his performance on the field, that he should be made the starter.

Now the Texans have two unproven veterans and an untried redshirt freshman practice squad guy. Can they afford to go into the season with that much uncertainty? When the Texans went into the last few seasons with only two QBs, they were taking a chance, and they were running lean at that position. Also, four TE's is more than most teams typically carry, to be sure.

I think the Texans will carry three QBs, and the number of TE's on the roster will be influenced by that.
I don't know what the Texans will do, Mojo.
But both Rosenfels and Schaub were actually a lot more unproven when they first see the field as a starter for us.
150-160 total attempts before the 07 season (2 starts each.)
And we began the season with 2 QBs, I believe.

Orlovsky had 7 starts and 255 attempts last year.
He will be in his 5th year.
His numbers 8 TDs - 8 Ints by themselves are similar to Schaub and Rosenfels when they first got here (both 6/6).
His completion percentage is not equal to Sage, but higher than Matt.

And actually, in the first 4 games he started, the Lions were more competitive than in 8 games he did not start.
Those 4 teams ranged from decent to good:
At Vikings 10-12
At Houston 21-28
vs. Skins 17-25
At Bears 23-27

And the last 3 games (the Lions were already 0-13) were against some decent teams as well: At Indy, vs. Saints, at Packers .

And as I have noted before, his 8 Ints were not "mistake-type" where a QB throw into double coverage just for the heck of it, or letting the defender read his eyes and follow the ball.

The one fault I find with Dan O. is that he hold the ball too long.
Many times because the receivers couldn't get open fast enough or they double team C.J.
In the WCO, I think Kubiak will have him get rid of the ball sooner.
And with the receivers we have, he can find them sooner as well.
(At least that's what I hope, but he seems capable of doing that.)

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Also, we started 06 with 4 TEs:
O.D., Bruener, Putzier, and Joppru.
They all were active for the first game, and were listed as substitution (having appear in at least one play?) by nfl.com

The two players suited but did not play were Rosenfels and Salaam.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Also, we started 06 with 4 TEs:
O.D., Bruener, Putzier, and Joppru.
They all were active for the first game, and were listed as substitution (having appear in at least one play?) by nfl.com
I think Kubes likes the TE position. Over the past couple of years, we just haven't had 4 good enough to start. The fact that the guys we have now will all play ST is a big plus. I think we keep 4 unless someone really stinks it up in TC.

If we keep 3 QB's, though. That's another thing. Grossman and Orlavsky will have to both look pretty special to be able to make the team. Grossman more than Orlavsky.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I think Kubes likes the TE position. Over the past couple of years, we just haven't had 4 good enough to start. The fact that the guys we have now will all play ST is a big plus. I think we keep 4 unless someone really stinks it up in TC.

If we keep 3 QB's, though. That's another thing. Grossman and Orlavsky will have to both look pretty special to be able to make the team. Grossman more than Orlavsky.
Don't forget about the 2 FB's we have going into camp as well. I think at least one, maybe two, players from these 3 positions will be let go. Which player from what position? It's anybody's guess at this point.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I watched a few more games of his, UNC and Miami definitely, and a couple othes I can't remember, he looks erratic coming out of the gate.
I can't help but wonder whether because he doesn't have flexibility in his knee. Maybe CNND can give his inputs here on the medical stuff.

Sometimes he would miss the blocker on either side so easily.
Sometimes he just miss the LB on the second level so easily on a run block (looks like he just ran to an empty space.)

I think he had fully recover from the knee injury. Don't know about long term since I'm not in the medical field, and I don't know the extent of the injury.
I wonder if he has any minor problem with the other knee?

That's something we can oberve during TC.

76Texan,

Some of these same observations you've made were criticisms of his play before his knee injuries ever occured. It classically does take a player approximately 2 years to be optimally rehabbed from an ACL surgery. Certainly by TC, he should have what he will have. But it seems that these are, rather than lingering "injury," mostly secondary to flaws in technique .................failing to sustain blocks against quicker defenders in space because he does not bend his knees, slow footwork, stiff hips and a waist-bender when blocking defensive ends on the edge. I suspect these are all things that should show great improvement with the upcoaching he will receive.

Hey, fair points on the QB situations but haven't you also heard that they want 4 Rbs too? and 3 Qbs? and 4 Tes? 2 FBs (Leach and Grigsby)? 5 Wr? How many OL? You can't have 38 guys on offense, I mean something has to give somewhere you know? Until I see Kubiak carrying 3 QBs I won't predict he'll do just that.

Furthermore I believe Casey, Daniels and maybe some other guys could fill in QB better than Grossman.

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
Hey, fair points on the QB situations but haven't you also heard that they want 4 Rbs too? and 3 Qbs? and 4 Tes? 2 FBs (Leach and Grigsby)? 5 Wr? How many OL? You can't have 38 guys on offense, I mean something has to give somewhere you know? Until I see Kubiak carrying 3 QBs I won't predict he'll do just that.
With two untried veteran QB's, both of who have had their share of problems in the NFL, I suspect that Kubiak will not feel as confident about going into the season with 2 QBs as he has the last few years. Keeping 4 TEs is highly unusual, even though the Texans have been doing just that recently. However, I think this is the year when we start the season with 3 QBs. Your point is well taken. The Texans are allowed 53 men on their roster, so you cannot keep 38 offensive players something will have to give. And reducing the TE staff to three is an obvious possibility.

There is also the question about whether Casey will really be a TE. He sounds more like some sort of a flanker/fullback combination to me, at least the way he is probably going to be used. Has Coach Kubiak ever discussed Casey actually playing the TE position? Maybe I missed it, but I have not heard that.

With two untried veteran QB's, both of who have had their share of problems in the NFL, I suspect that Kubiak will not feel as confident about going into the season with 2 QBs as he has the last few years. Keeping 4 TEs is highly unusual, even though the Texans have been doing just that recently. However, I think this is the year when we start the season with 3 QBs. Your point is well taken. The Texans are allowed 53 men on their roster, so you cannot keep 38 offensive players something will have to give. And reducing the TE staff to three is an obvious possibility.
Hey, Sage has never been confused with the 2nd coming of Joe Montana. I think having 4 WR instead of 5 is a possibility as well. Jacoby needs to show a reason to keep him in camp IMO.
There is also the question about whether Casey will really be a TE. He sounds more like some sort of a flanker/fullback combination to me, at least the way he is probably going to be used. Has Coach Kubiak ever discussed Casey actually playing the TE position? Maybe I missed it, but I have not heard that.
I think Casey's destiny is ultimately FB if he can block well enough. Like a mega-Mike Alstott. I think Kubiak has mentioned starting him off at TE and taking it from there.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
76Texan,

Some of these same observations you've made were criticisms of his play before his knee injuries ever occured. It classically does take a player approximately 2 years to be optimally rehabbed from an ACL surgery. Certainly by TC, he should have what he will have. But it seems that these are, rather than lingering "injury," mostly secondary to flaws in technique .................failing to sustain blocks against quicker defenders in space because he does not bend his knees, slow footwork, stiff hips and a waist-bender when blocking defensive ends on the edge. I suspect these are all things that should show great improvement with the upcoaching he will receive.
Thanks, CNND.
How much does the flexibility of the knee (regarding to the injury) affect the movement of the hips, if at all? Medically and/or mentally?

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Did you miss one my above post about Dan O. playing quite well for the Lions?

I agree that anything is possible.
My thinking is that they bring in Grossman to see how he play in Kubiak's WCO.
If Grossman play well enough, he will force Kubiak to make a hard choice.

With all the numbers considered, I think the Texans will keep Dan O. as the back-up. Stash Brink on PS for another year if he shows enough improvement. And release Grossman if he doesn't improve enough in consistency. Quite likely, he can be brought back later in case of needs, and he would have some concepts of the O already.

Has Grossman ever played in the WCO, any version at all ???

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
Did you miss one my above post about Dan O. playing quite well for the Lions?

I agree that anything is possible.
My thinking is that they bring in Grossman to see how he play in Kubiak's WCO.
If Grossman play well enough, he will force Kubiak to make a hard choice.

With all the numbers considered, I think the Texans will keep Dan O. as the back-up. Stash Brink on PS for another year if he shows enough improvement. And release Grossman if he doesn't improve enough in consistency. Quite likely, he can be brought back later in case of needs, and he would have some concepts of the O already.

Has Grossman ever played in the WCO, any version at all ???
Yeah, I like the two veteran QB's that the Texans have acquired. I do not know who some people thought we were going to get. But the verdict is out on both of these guys. Maybe one of them does not make it through camp, and we somehow go with 2 QBs. Maybe Brink is carried on the roster as number three. Whichever way we go with the QBs, it is my sense that the days of carrying 4 TEs are coming to a close for the Texans. That is just too many TEs.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I like the two veteran QB's that the Texans have acquired. I do not know who some people thought we were going to get. But the verdict is out on both of these guys. Maybe one of them does not make it through camp, and we somehow go with 2 QBs. Maybe Brink is carried on the roster as number three. Whichever way we go with the QBs, it is my sense that the days of carrying 4 TEs are coming to a close for the Texans. That is just too many TEs.
It will be the most exciting camp so far for us, as many have said.
And a lot of different possibilties.
I kinda feel sorry for some of the guys already!

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Hill will not only help as a third OT on offense but I think he'll be able to help JJ and AD get an extra step when returning punts and kicks on special teams.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Thanks, CNND.
How much does the flexibility of the knee (regarding to the injury) affect the movement of the hips, if at all? Medically and/or mentally?
Someone injured or coming off severe knee injury can be "guarding" (based on mental or physical)his knee, thus compensating with more stress on another joint. This is typically a joint of the opposite side..........any joint (ankle, hip and/or knee). Too much stress to the contralateral joints may then lead to compensation of another joint on the originally involved side. In addition, back stress/problems occur because of unbalanced forces on the vertebral column (which, of course, is made up of multiple small joints). Injury to one joint, thus, can be expected to cascade to problems of any number of other joints (and their associated muscles). Examples of this are classically more obvious in basketball..........a knee injury leads to a hip injury leads to an ankle injury leads to a back injury (or any other variations on the order of involvement).

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
Really? I clicked around at pro football reference on a couple rosters and found several teams with 4 TE's.
Was that during the regular season? I can see teams carrying four TE's during training camp, but during the regular season that seems a bit much.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Was that during the regular season? I can see teams carrying four TE's during training camp, but during the regular season that seems a bit much.
First one I clicked on was the 2006 Colts roster for the regular season. Don't remember the others specifically.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I don't think it's that unusual although I think it depends on which positions your team values and what talent you have available. I think Kubiak likes having TE's. He had 4 here his first year. He likes multiple TE sets and TE's are big strong guys that can play lots of special teams positions. So if there are talented TE's available, I'm sure he's going to be happy about it and he's going to load up with as many as he can get away with. I think playing most of last year with only 2 TE's was a problem for him.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Welp! We've got about 4 weeks to get Casey, Caldwell, Glover, Barwin and Cushing signed. Not to mention possible extensions for OD and D-Ryans. I'm pretty sure we'll get the rookies signed before camp as always.

Last year we signed 5 rookies in July, 4 of them signing the week before camp. Duane signed the day of camp.

Will we take it to the wire like last season? Or will we get'r done with time to spare?