High Snaps

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sigma, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Sigma

Sigma All Pro

I watched the game only today, I already knew how in the end we failed the 2pt conversion with the false start first and the high snap later.

Watching the game I noticed that most times Delhomme had to extend his arms high to catch the ball because the snap was high.

I'm not a football expert but I found that strange...

Anyone noticed that? Do you think it could be an issue in the playoffs?

2. ts4texans

ts4texans Rookie

we need to be extra careful, even just one bad snap is could easily cost us the game, just like it did last week.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Back-up center.

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Myers on the sideline fairly early in the game.

I'm choosing to look at this as a non-problem, we've got more pressing issues to worry about :)

5. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Yep! Like, is KJ/JA gonna cost us another game! I've already hit the maalox bottle worrying about that one! To bad we don't have another J. Joe on that side.

6. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Hm... I was thinking more in the lines of 'Will Toro be able to get the crowd pumped'...

Crap, I is all scarrid now!!

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  7. Calface4

Calface4 inthisforlife

Exactly. Myers would never make that kind of mistake. I don't believe he has all year anyways.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Not really our regular back-up center.............actually, Brisiel has been listed as our backup center on the depth chart all year.

9. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I am not positive of this, but I believe it was Thomas Austin who was in at center. He is only a 2nd year player who went undrafted, and sat on the patriots practice squad much (if not all) of last year. He is normally a G, and I am not even sure he has had any game action with us.

So with all of this being said, I don't think its something we need to be worried about.

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Correct

11. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I know Brisiel is the backup center... but with him out, is Caldwell now the backup? I also believe this is the first time Austin was even active for a game.

I'm actually quite surprised the Titans D-Line didn't manhandle that OL featuring Austin, Gardner, and Newton for a bit. Besides Casey, no one on the DL was making any plays.

12. CloakNNNdagger

I looked it up and Austin split his college career between guard and center.

13. False Start

False Start On # 69

Even with the starting line-up, sometimes it looks like TJ catches the snap weird.

14. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I am just speculating here, but it could be do to the fact that Myers stance is a bit funny (he gets down really low, as evident when they are under center), which could just be odd for him after years of seeing a more traditional higher up center. I am assuming when you do any action tens of thousands of times like taking a snap in the gun, any little variation could throw you off for a half second or so.

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I haven't bothered to watch all the NFL programs but the one thing I found odd from what little I watched was that no one was talking about how few of our starters were in.

If Newton hadn't gone down, we would have been playing with only Wade Smith as a starter on our offensive line. As it was, Gardner was alternating series between right and left tackle. Austin playing C and Caldwell playing RG.

And I don't know if it's been discussed much (because I haven't been around all that much the past few weeks), but there is a noticeable drop off from Brisiel to Caldwell. A big reason our offense hasn't looked as good since the Bengal game was Caldwell getting pantsed. Brisiel coming back for the playoffs could be the biggest story no one talks about.

And I'm surprised about the drop off. When Caldwell was drafted, I had high hopes for him. I thought he'd take over and dominate at RG if not at C. But after having to watch him the past few weeks, I'm totally off the Caldwell bandwagon. We need better depth at guard/center than that. He looks lost and slow out there.

But, to the OP, Austin had an issue with shotgun snaps. He was snapping them high all game. He needs to work on that. This is the first playing time he's gotten for us and let's all pray that Myers doesn't get injured.

16. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

It's not like the Bengals have two pro-bowl corners out there. Most teams don't, and have to get by with average #2 CBs. Everyone has weaknesses, and i'm sure Wade and Kubes are aware of ours and theirs.

17. CloakNNNdagger

Houston Texans Twitter
    Can you imagine Austin calling the OL play

18. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Wade and Kubes being "aware" does NOT in any stretch of the imagination make KJ "aware!!" The dude does not concentrate!! Besides, IMHO, he's not anywhere close to being average!

19. SuperSerial

SuperSerial Rookie

They were just fooling around with the high snaps to poke fun at Romo.

20. CloakNNNdagger

Did anyone notice that there were a couple of very high snaps to Turk on punts again last game?