Hey fellow Bullpen members

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by TEXANS84, Dec 31, 2007.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Does this seem to rub you the wrong way, or is it just me?

http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/GridironTexas-2007-08-04.asp

2. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I posted this a long time ago, and was berated by about everyone not in the Bullpen for making such a post.

But truth is, it's just marketing to sell more PSL's....

3. TEXANS84

I could care less if people attack me for this post. I find the whole idea insulting to the Bullpen and the members/psl holders that have been there since day one.

Yeah, I know it's a ploy to sell tickets...but lets not disrespect the original section that started all of the main traditions. Personally, I feel as if it's a slap in the face...and so did everyone else that sits around us.

4. Texan_Lee

Texan_Lee Lost for now...

I never paid much attention to this, but to me, it kind of makes one feel like they are trying to push the Bull Pen out of the way...

I understnad there are other areas of the stadium that are jealous of us because we are the Bull Pen, but they can too if the Texans changed out these corporate and auctioned off seats for the real fans who make it to every game (and arrive at the start and leave at the end of every game).

This does disturb me a bit as well, Daunte...

Let's just remember, we have been here since the beginning, and most of us will always be the "Original Bull Pen Members - Established 2002"
    :fans:

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

No offense taken, and no offense meant when I say they've used the idea for the Bull Pen for the same reasons. Marketing has always been a primary driving force for this franchise.

I've ribbed back and forth with y'all about it, but I find the whole thing silly.

I'm not sure what 'main traditions' you folks have claimed to have started, as I've been there since 19-10, too. I believe that the overwhelming majority of "traditions" with this franchise are started by the marketing department. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Bull Pen, but I'm not sure what traditions us goat herders know about that started down there.

To be honest, the Texans FO could really give a crap about traditions, IMO. We have six different uniform combos for eight games. There is certainly no consistency when it comes to this stuff. "Buy More Texans Stuff" is more of our motto than anything.

And if they really wanted the Bull Pen to be like the Dawg Pound or Black Hole, then they would have tried to sell those tickets to diehard Texans fanatics. Instead, they sold out to corporate sponsors, so the 'hardcore' section is diluted down to about one third of the section, as mentioned by SheTexan. It does not seem to me that you are best served by the Texans FO's agenda, which is solely about making money.

We've never really had a "homefield advantage", so it was always kinda' goofy that they claimed any part of the stadium is the "birthplace" of it.

p.s. Did you see the video montage for "Fan Appreciation Day"? It clearly showed the Bull Pen taking very much a part of THE WAVE! :neener:

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Such as ....?

7. TEXANS84

Traditions:

** I think everyone marches in when the feel like it.

** Half the stadium does this anyways

** Um, sometimes

** Yeah, not since 2004.

http://www.houstontexans.com/community/BullPen.asp

8. Yankee_In_TX

Pure speculation - did the Bullpen committee start in 2002? Did they actually help brainstorm and/or implement things like the big jerseys, "First Down," announcing players last names, and the other stuff listed on the web?

9. TEXANS84

I dont remember the "first down" thing coming along until the 2006 season.

10. Yankee_In_TX

11. Baga21

Baga21 Rookie

What?? That's funny. I was real jealous watching you guys sweat out them beers yesterday. :sarcasm:

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I guess by "main traditions" you really mean Bull Pen/Blue Crew traditions. ;)

If you filter everything the Texans FO does through a marketing perspective, you will find that all of this makes sense and you will not get your blood pressure up.

p.s. shouting the last names of players was started by the marketing department and advertised through the jumbotron, IIRC.

13. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Yep, just ask Sandy....she was a committee member.

14. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I'm staying out of this discussion. Just not worth the nasty sarcasm that will follow any comment.

I'll take my complaints to the Texans!!

15. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

Over 26,000 seats in "Gridiron Texas", including almost all of the seats that are available to sell. Approximately 2000 seats in the Bullpen, probably 100% sold out as season tickets. So the marketing is trying to sell tickets in Gridiron instead of the Bullpen? I'm shocked, shocked I say, that the Texans are trying to sell seats!

Don't forget the traditions of whining if everyone doesn't bow down to pay homage to the Bullpen, and whining about that brutal December sun any time the roof is open and hiding out from the sun in the Bullpen Pub.

16. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

The first down thing is something that is and was done at many stadiums in the NFL. I know the panthers were doing it long before the texans played their "first down".

17. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I don't know if the bullpen is the loudest section in the stadium...all i can hear is the people in my section. I really don't pay a lot of attention to the bullpen because the band and the cheerleaders and the players are who i come to see. lol. Now I know i will catch flack for this next comment but here goes. The bullpen thing was pure marketing at its best to get people to buy the worst seats in da house when that roof is opened. I wouldn't want to brave that sun and must give props to the bullpen peeps for doing it.

18. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

Oh boy...I got my oar to stir this juicy pot!!

:user:

My thought is this...if the Bullpen wants to be special, then do something special. I don't see anything spectacular coming from down there.
    To the guy in the Eagles jersey who was leading the cheering of 624 last week... the Bullpen needs you! You were doing a great (sloshed, but great) job of getting your section up and rocking! :fans:

Will y'all take an Eagles fan to show you the ropes down in your quieter section?
    :shades:

Signed,
    Goat Herder of the NEZ (and loving it!)

BTW, they were showing us lots of love this last game. We were in the section/row that got the way cool binoculars and were on the Jumbotron 3 times I think. I feel so special, but a bit guilty of taking face time from 116 and 117. :sarcasm:

19. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

They were actually laughing at you guys. You all had chili all over your non-battle red jerseys.

20. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

You guys are a little sensitive about the whole thing. It's no big deal. Just go to the games and cheer our boys to victory and have a good time. That is what everyone else in the stadium is doing. You guys should be happy that you are on the jumbotron the majority of the time. I see your mugs on commercials for channel 13 and you guys put together watch parties for fans. It's all good.

My buddies and I in section 522 started a "Move the Chains" chant after a first down. Two years ago it started out being us four guys on row D. We would wear our wigs and gloves and people would look at us like aliens. I would say now most of the section does it and I talk to fans in sections around us that do it. It is a lot of fun and everyone has a good time. I even see people bringing gloves.

I would love to have the entire stadium do it one day. I wouldn't be upset that I'm not getting recognized on the Texans website. My friends and I in section 522 would know where it originated from and that would be fine by me. :fans:

PEACE OUT

FILO_girl likes this.