Herring: “A lot of overreaction” about Williams

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 2, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

By Nick Scurfield
    Posted Jun 1, 2011

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

Good, solid article. Thanks a million CND.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Fans should be overeacting after a decade of terrible football.

Herring's new, but he's caught on to how to play Billionaire BoBBys con game.

Company man

bckey and Double Barrel like this.
  4. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

spot on!

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Well pardon me for having concerns...
    Ware had 17 more sacks in 2007,08,09 and 10 per this coach. That's 4 more sacks a season than Mario. Williams would go from 8.5 to 12.5 a good increase but a total that would not be that great for this system. I don't see McNair opening the wallet for the contract Mario would want. Another thing, I do not want to see Mario dropping in coverage EVER let alone 3 times a game. A Qb with a quick release and a WR who could hold onto the ball would eat Mario alive. And with our corners desperately requiring safety help, I see 3 plays a game going for bunches of yards.

Herring says "If a TE motions out, so what? Mario moves out wider and rushes QB." What? Uh the role of the TE would be to slow the OLB down not catch the ball." I am not saying I'm smarter than this guy but so far, I am unimpressed. :thinking:

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is about MW not wanting to play DE. But wanting to rush the passer. Wade gave in to MW. Now the Texan PR dept has gone into full spin mode.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

100% correct. Still, spin can prove to be true and we should hope it does.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    a 3/4 where you know MW is coming 95% of the game. then guess who the other 3 will be out of 3 DL and 3 LB. sounds like a 4/3 to me. sounds like i hope herring/wade really are just flat out better coaches than frankenbush and co.

i think i would've told mario to buck up because you're a DE. i can handle a nobody at DT if mario and watt are the ends. reed/barwin/cushing is a lot of speed at LB, a lot of heat for cookin manning's burgers. i think that line up would bring enough pressure that nobody would notice we didn't sign asomugha.

mmmm.......burgers.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Nah, come one TK! It's going to work. Listen to me..click your heels together 3 times and say I believe, I believe.

10. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Yumm, Peyton burgers! Call me crazy but are we forgetting that we still have Antonio Smith at the other defensive end? Where is he in this equation?

Mario+Smith+Watt+Reed+Cushing+Ryan-(Bush+Okoye)+Barwin=:locked:

Oh, nevermind. I forgot about the lockout. I will wait till we have some free agent signings to predict how much Manning will hate Phillips' guts! :texflag:

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    The bench?

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Who beats him out? Definitely not Watt. If Watt starts over Smith it will be because the coach gave it to him.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Really? I would take Watt over Smith in a heartbeat.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

meh.....whatever.....

I'm just going to wait for the season to start, if it even does this year, and see what happens. As some have already said, it's all spin. And with all the practice time (for all NFL teams and players) flying out the window daily, predictions of what might happen this season are iffy at best.

steelbtexan likes this.
  15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Long term? Sure and maybe, maybe mid season, but definitely not as day one starter. I look for Smith to have very good year that will not necessarily be identified by sacks.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Reducing the pre-season from four to two games for this season would allow more on field time for new guys. Yes, the first game or two of regular season will be ragged but it would be fairly good.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Good job of Herring using the media to tell Mario to contact Ware for more info and possibly get film from him.

Got that Mario?
    To me, this is the biggest thing about this article. The complaint over the years was that our defense was so vanilla. Now Herring is basically saying that if Dallas Clark or Reggie Wayne go in motion, we aint going to make a move that will let Manning know where our rush is coming from so that he can just quick throw the other way and get out of the rush. Anyone care to guess what Phillips' record vs Manning was while with San Diego and Dallas?

Now we wont be sateliting our pass rush. By letting Mario go all day, the offense has to account for the fact the rush is coming from that end so they will have to do something about that, but that leaves them open for any scheme on the other side. Isn't that where guys like Shawn Merriman and Brady James made a pretty decent living?

dc_txtech likes this.
  18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I think he a starter Day 1. I know I overvalue draft picks, but Watt is a beast, and will be for a long time. His sheer athleticism and work ethic makes him a must start from the get-go.

Anyway, we dont have the problem. Putting Mario at OLB/DE (I refuse to call him a pure OLB) means we start Watt and Smith, meaning 3 our 3 best DL are on the field a majority of the time.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

how about just saying Mario Williams plays the hybrid OLB role in Wade Phillips hybrid 3-4?

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That is a good name for the position. Hybrid OLB. HOLB for short perhaps?