Here's what I learned tonight.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hervoyel, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm no longer going to bother dignifying "Sage should start" posts with a response. The difference between the two guys is like night and day and the people who can't see that aren't really people whose opinions on the game I value. There's nothing wrong with Sage but if you think he should start over Matt then I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Jacoby Jones doesn't really need to make this football team. There's nothing particularly special about him and I think the Texans are starting to figure that out. He had an exciting preseason last year but he was a guy playing above his head and that's obvious now. Today he's an unfocused liability with speed and that makes him Jerome Mathis with a better disposition. Barring a sudden attack of maturity he's not worth a roster spot.

Jacques Reeves sure is living down to his billing as "toast". After watching him in two games I'm starting to think that if we're going to have to watch a corner get burned a bunch of times then we might as well throw Molden out there and let him get the experience. He'll get good sooner than Reeves will I suspect and according to Richard Smith (via a conversation Bob Allen spoke of) he doesn't get down himself when he gets beat but comes back over and over again. In a Richard Smith defense that's a valuable attribute because with the kind of pressure we usually bring (and have brought in two straight preseason games) our corners should get beaten regularly.

I was not thrilled with the running game (again) but I think Slaton looked ok. I wasn't impressed with anyone else and wonder if Taylor will even make the team. He looks a step behind everyone and very hesitant to me (and then every few plays he blows up for no apparent reason). I think the year off with the injury really hurt whatever progress he had made. Brown wasn't impressive at all and looked like a guy who we've signed one season too late. Watching them interview Ahman Green and hearing him say "I don't know when I'll be back" was some infuriation stuff. I just don't want to see him again until he's lined up behind Schaub and ready to work. I can accept that we're going to have to watch this crap play out again this year but I don't want to have to listen to him hem and haw about how he's feeling or when he'll return. He's not that good an interview to begin with. No need to drag him out every preseason game and speculate about when he'll not have a pull/bruise/bo-bo/owie and be ready to go.

2. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I agree about Matt. If he can stay healthy, he will bring us the Lombardi.... eventually. Our passing attack is shaping up to be one of the top five in the league IMO.

I hope Jacoby finds a way to stay on the team (by holding onto the ball, and in general just playing better). I just don't know how he could do that if he continues to struggle, especially with Anderson's play.

Slaton did very well.... I even saw him making some good blocks in this game. If he continues to improve he will see a good number of touches this season.

3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Duane Brow is going to cause this passing game to jump to elite status. It was so nice to get to see Schaub not have to worry about his blindside and see him pick apart the Saints defense all game long.

If Slaton can return punts Jacoby better kick it into overdrive because he'll have to fight for every inch to keep his spot on the team. If Slaton returns punts I doubt he suits up on Sundays if he makes the team.

4. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Interesting.

Looking forward to watching the game later this week since I am in LA and couldn't see it live.

I thought Schaub's wasn't that special against the Broncos last week and I was getting a little concerned.

Sounds like a good news though...

5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'm not ready to completely dismiss our entire running game besides Slaton. I want to see how the backs do when our cut block scheme is finally down smooth.

6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Schaub did just fine against the Broncos, except for when he tried to force it in the red zone. If that had been intercepted (which it probably should have), it would have been 6 for Denver.

That said, he was right on the dot tonight. The guy is a winner.

7. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Schaub looked a 100 times better tonight than he did vs the Broncos. He also had a little more playing time.

8. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

You gotta keep in mind that he targeted the left field like 90% of the time, which was Jason David side. Jason David....he's the equivalent to Jacques Reeves or even Demarcus Faggins. Next week should be a big test for Schuab though. He's going to go against Hamlin, Newman, Pacman, Henry, and rookie 1st round pick, Jenkins.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yeah and he seemed to get better as he got more settled in. I think he might just really be special. Can't be sure at this point but it's nice to see some signs that point to good things.

I'd like to add one more thing to my first post. Morlon Greenwood is done here. He'll stick around because we're not deep there but he just seems like he's crossed the Jamie Sharper/Jay Foreman barrier and looks a step slower and a little less aware of what's going on around him than he was last season. I've always felt that he was grossly over paid by the last regime but I also always said that at least he could play unlike some of the other free agents Charlie Casserly dug up. At times he even looks good. I think this season he's going to be a huge liability on his side and by the end of the year we're going to cussing him regularly (those of us who aren't already doing that I mean).

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Our run defense has been craptastic. Kubes better get that fixed or this team is easily going to go 1-5 in the division again (or worse....Tenn and Jax are two of the best rushing teams in the leauge).

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Greenwood is going to be a 2 down LB by season's end. He is a liability in coverage and Adibi will take that job from him at some point.

12. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I made a post in the Jacoby thread about "Knee Jerk" reactions.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just wanted to put it out here for everyone to see and evaluate my thoughts.

"On "knee jerk reactions"

13. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

yes he did:d:

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Really, what game were you watching? Reeves was getting picked on in passing situations and then got ran over by RBs and TEs/WRs when he tried to come up to make tackles.

He played like crap, there is no way to sugar coat it.

15. Polo

Polo Guest

Schaub looked about as good against the Saints as he did last year...

I think Schaub is the guy, but I will really feel good aabout him when I see him perform against a team with a really good D...

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Well, he didn't have AJ this game...

17. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

How did Adibi fare today? I don't remember seeing him but I didn't watch the entire game either.

18. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

As far as I know, Adibi didn't play.

as for CBs question.

Reeves wasn't burned deep, and there are just some pass routes that you can't be all over all the time, like hitches for example. Passes will get completed, I know its hard to accept that, but as long as he doesn't give up huge gains and yards after catch I'd consider him nickel/dime material. The problem is, we have no one to take the #2 spot untill Molden matures in the NFL more or Fletcher takes over the spot. (I'm really hoping Fletcher takes over the spot)

I want to make it clear that I'm not advocating Reeves the supreme ruler of the universe. Just stating his criticism is a little harsh. So far, only Bennet, Fletcher, Adibi, and Reeves has (to me) shown willingness to stop the short swing/screen passes on the outside. (oh yeah Demps too)

19. Polo

Polo Guest

We don't have to see him throwing to AJ to evaluate his individual performance...

20. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

It's just preseason. That's all i think i need to say.