Here is Friday's version of my mock

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by LZ, Apr 25, 2008.

1. LZ

LZ Veteran

* - projected trade

1. Miami - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    4. Oakland - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
    5. Kansas City - Brandon Albert, LT, Virginia
    6. NY Jets - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    7. New England - Sedrick Ellis, NT, USC
    8. Baltimore - Ryan Clady, LT, Boise State
    9. Cincinnati - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
    10. New Orleans - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
    *11. Kansas City (from Buffalo) - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
    12. Denver - Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee
    13. Carolina - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
    14. Chicago - Gosder Cherilus, RT, Boston College
    15. Detroit - Keith Rivers, LB, USC
    16. Arizona - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
    *17. Buffalo (from KC) - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan St
    18. Houston - Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt
    ** Z-Report Says: If Rodgers-Cromartie and Williams are both on the board it will be a very tough decision for the Texans. I'm going to gamble that they go LT here.
    19. Philadelphia - Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt
    20. Tampa Bay - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tenn. State
    21. Washington - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
    22. Dallas - Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
    23. Pittsburgh - Mike Jenkins, CB, USF
    24. Tennessee - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    25. Seattle - Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
    26. Jacksonville - Tyrell Johnson, SS, Arkansas St
    27. San Diego - Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
    28. Dallas - Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami
    29. San Francisco - DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
    *30. Atlanta (from Green Bay) - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
    31. NY Giants - James Hardy, WR, Indiana

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  2. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

Do you really think that Carolina will take Jonathan Stewart just after they drafted DeAngelo Williams?

3. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Rumor has it that Carolina loves Harvey, and would take him if he last to 13.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans have to think about which player has the least bust potential. An All-SEC LT or a small college phenom. It's not as if both players don't have question marks. And it's easier to find a CB in the 3rd round than a LT.

From a value aspect, Chris Long going #6 makes sense. But the Jets just dumped defenders this offseason (Robertson & Vilma) that were poor fits for the 3-4. And while Long played a 3-4 DE in college, he doesn't have the size to fill that role in the pros. He's also not a 3-4 OLB. Long's a legit 4-3 DE. If the Jets go front 7 with this pick, Gholston makes more sense.

5. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I would rather if the Texans took a player with a higher upside. I think we're actually in position to gamble a little bit. We didn't lose anything earth-shattering in the offseason and we won 8 games. If we could get a guy that's a true difference maker (although with a higher-risk of bustitude) I think that would be good.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong...

6. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

SOOOOO close to harvey it hurts

7. LZ

LZ Veteran

Williams isn't an every down back which is why they are looking at RB as well as tackle and DE.

8. LZ

LZ Veteran

Actually, their is the same percentage of starters at CB who come from the undrafted pool as there is from the 3rd round. There is a high fail rate for CBs from rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. Many teams think Long is a 3-4 OLB similar to Kevin Greene.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Nice mock LZ. I particularly like the trades you included- make sense and could happen.

What are you thoughts on Mayo and Rivers specific to the Texans? Any idea if we'd be interested if they were available?

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

what your insiders missed is Denver loves Stewart so its a mute point w/carolina taking RB they go tackle & Otah would be a perfect fit. otherwise looks very, very good less than 24 hours away :specnatz:

11. LZ

LZ Veteran

I would be interested in both. I think Greenwood is a big weakness on the club. People point to his tackles last year but how many were TFLs? How many fumble recoveries, fumbles caused, INTs or sacks did he have? The WLB position is for playmakers and both Mayo and Rivers would fit the bill and would help the Texans to rid themselves of Greenwoods over-inflated cap number.

Second Honeymoon likes this.
  12. LZ

LZ Veteran

Denver is one of the most tight lipped organizations in history. I would be interested in knowing why you think people know who they like and why that info is good info and not something that is being floated out there. I think he's a good fit there but they also could use a LT/RT so this one is a tough one. Mayo, like Al Wilson is a Tenn. MLB who can run and would help immediately against the run where they were so atrocious. They were still a solid rushing team last year with mish-mash but their rush defense was an atrocity.

13. beerlover

I would share if I could remember the exact source (believe it was a local media guy in Denver) someone with similar pedigree to yourself, I took as reliable enough to project the pick about four days ago.

I've taken a detached approach as oppossed to making it personel. Its almost impossible to figure which RB is going to be better based upon unknowns like the system they'll be drafted into. simply put Jonathan Stewart is a perfect ZBS RB. great cut-back power downhill runner, also the #1 reason I wanted him to slide to the Texans but alas I know he's not going to fall like people around here expect. according to John McClain the Texans won't take a RB in the 1st rd. no matter what......

14. beerlover

on a Texans note I sure hope Harvey is still on the board @ #17 can't go wrong either way :)

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Lance-

So what exactly are the problems coming up with Chris Williams? I've heard he has a bad back, 'short arms', and that one leg or arm is shorter than the other. And that something MAY require surgery. and that some teams may have taken him completely off their draft board.

What's your take on these and what would be the effects of them? is there any merit to them?

16. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I have been pulling for Rivers to fall to us since the Combine. With the recent draft trends with the LB position, you could see him falling right in our lap at #18...If Rivers gets past Buffalo and Denver, I think we could be in good shape.

17. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Lance's Top 100

18. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

rivers is cool with me, cb in the 3rd

19. LZ

LZ Veteran

Most of those things have come from me, but they are all true. Now I will say this. Different teams have different opinions and the Texans med staff may be just fine with his medicals. Some teams think he'll need surgery at some point for a cervical condition but there are other teams I know of who don't think that is the case. Either way, he is probably the most game-ready rookie at LT that you are going to find and the Texans would probably be jumping for joy if he were there.

20. LZ

LZ Veteran

By the way, I made some changes to my mock draft and they are reflected in the first post which has been edited if you want to go back and check it out again.