Here is a very good looking offer from Denver

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by whiskeyrbl, Mar 15, 2006.

1. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Broncos | Team shopping two first-round picks
    Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:23:37 -0800

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Denver Broncos are shopping their two first-round picks in the 2006 NFL Draft in exchange for early picks in the 2007 NFL Draft. The team does not have much cap space left after paying out several up-front signing bonuses.

2. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

two late 1sts isnt enough for the #1 pick

3. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Very tempting if that is the case. I would seriously think about it.

4. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

2007 Draft, as in next year. This is pretty interesting.

5. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

From what I got on the statement, I think it would be for 2007 not this years draft. I don't know what kind of cap implications we would have if we had 3 1st round picks this year. I would hate to even imagine.

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I wouldn't do it because I personally don't like the talent in the middle-late part of the first round from a value perspective. You have a bunch of 2nd round talent in there, that will demand 1st round money. The draft has a great top half dozen or so, and it is deep, with lots of guys who deserve to be 2nd and 3rd rounders, but do we really want two 1st rounders with second rd talent, then not get our (likely) top ten pick next year? I don't. If they throw in both firsts this year, and their 2nd next yr, I will reconsider. :ok:

7. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Say we give up our first round and fourth round pick next year. We get two extra first rounders, helping us to go 8-8. Thus, we would be picking near the middle of the first round (15-18). Your telling me you would not give up the 15th pick and a fourth rounder for two first your picks this year?

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Interesting proposition. Cap will continue to go up and Kubiak and staff starts off with teaching new young talented guys in need positions this year in camp. It sounds good, but is it executable for future cap implications? Very interesting.

9. big homey

big homey Veteran

I don't understand why the Broncos would trade 2 firsts and gamble on who's gonna be bad next year. If they trade them to a team and that team makes a huge improvement, the Broncos get gypped.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

I would do it for our #1 and #2 next year.

1st round Bush; Pope; Mangold
    2nd round Scott

Heck yes.

11. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

This is probably why we would not be in the mix. The Texans could be very bad next year, but could easily go .500. I think the only possible trading partners would be the Jets and possibly the Saints.

12. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion. This is one of the best years for 1st round talent I've seen. In fact, it's looking like 1st round talent will be available well into the 2nd round and not the reverse.

Looking just at Texan need positions:

WR Chad Jackson
    TE Marcedes Lewis + Leonard Pope
    OLB DeMeco Ryans, Ernie Sims, Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard
    C Nick Mangold
    OT Daryn College
    CB Tye Hill + Ashton Youboty

This is 2nd round talent?

More to the point, wouldn't any one of those players be obvious starters for the Texans?

13. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

I like the sound of that or pick up WR Chad Jackson with one of those pics

14. KSig44

KSig44 Veteran

Y ouwould be stupid not to do this for a first and fourth next year. This year is an unusually high quality draft, next year looks to be a down year with who is currently college seniors. This year there are 48 players who could all land somewhere in the first round. That means we could possible get 4 first round quality players for what will probably be a pick ing the 10-15 range next year. Where do I sign?:redtowel:

15. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

On a similar note on another thread, I offered the possibility of having more than one pick in this year's draft AND was soundly trounced by one & all. Too much $ involved and the more picks the more chance of a pick being a bust. I would gladly take two later firsts this year for a possible mid-first round in 2007. McNair said he has been over the cap the last two years and expects to be this year for the right players. Even if as mentioned above there are 2nd rounders that may go in first, at least they would be OUR players. We should be able to get some quality from 2 guys who maybe should have gone in top 5 of second rather than first. Especially if as some have implied, we should pick up some quality with our 2 third round picks.

16. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

If this were to happen, could you imagine the Texans having 6 of the top 66 coming out.......d@$n!

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Maybe this offer by the Broncos confirms your theory ?

18. el toro

el toro All Pro

Trading future picks is a precarious proposition.

19. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

Not for current picks with higher value.

Totally ignoring that this draft class looks much stronger than next years, the Broncos picks are worth the #8 pick by the "value chart" in a straight up trade. The only "risk" is that the Texans pick next year will be higher than the #8. However, the real risk with the transaction is all Denver's, since we'll have the proverbial "bird in the hand". In fact, we'd have two of 'em.

20. el toro

el toro All Pro

Well, that's assuming you'd only have to give up one future 1st rounder. Maybe the Broncs take a gamble on that, I'm not so sure.