Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hello (Season Opener Prediction Thread)

THEFUTURE

Rookie
CAbills said:
Who are these high powered offenses you speak of? Colts, I will give you that and Minnesota. I see no other "high powered" offenses you played last year.

If we are just above average where are our weak points on defense. There isnt one position right now that you can say is a weak point on the defense
Houston= Kansas City #1, Indianapolis #2 (twice), Green Bay #3, Minnesota #4, and Denver #5, San Diego #10, Titans #11 (twice), Jets # 12, Oakland #17, Jacksonville #21 (twice), Detroit #24, Cleveland # 28, Chicago #32

Buffalo= Jacksonville# 21, Oakland#17 New England#7 (twice), N.Y. Jets#12 (twice), Miami#29 (twice), Baltimore #31, Arizona #27, St. Louis #6, Seattle #8, Cleveland #28, Cincinnati #18, San Francisco #26, Pittsburgh #16

like i said, your Defense had it easy in comparison to the Texans D... and i dont think there are any weak players, but no stars either. just a bunch of above average players at every position

jppaul

Cut and Dry
Big B Texan Fan said:
Can we then stop :deadhorse plz. Start a new thread. Let's compare LB's or something. Hey, that'll actually be a good topic. Did your team run a 4-3 or a 3-4?
I Love it. Where did you get the "Beat the Dead Horse"?

Also to distill it down:

Buffalo's opponents avg. rated offense(the ranking according to the NFL or strength of schedule (lower means they faced better offenses): 18.375
Houston's opponents avg. rated offense: 12.75

ATX

Hall of Fame
yeah, i'm curious to see which of those bills are still on their defense in the clip. Cabills, can you tell us this? i can't really see the jersey numbers all that great.

CAbills

Noob
atxcoolguy said:
yeah, i'm curious to see which of those bills are still on their defense in the clip. Cabills, can you tell us this? i can't really see the jersey numbers all that great.
I forgot one play defines a team. Your right though I am sure I couldnt find one play of the Texans D getting scored on. :rolleyes:

Good play none the less.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
You can see Lawyer Milloy, Takeo Spikes, looks like Clements and Winfield also. London Fletcher is one of the inital three guys he breaks away from. Hard to tell the rest from that clip.

red bull

Practice Squad
CAbills said:
Who are these high powered offenses you speak of? Colts, I will give you that and Minnesota. I see no other "high powered" offenses you played last year.
We played the top five offenses in the league, including Indianapolis twice. That's six games against top five offenses.

If ya'll go back in NFL history and look up top defenses you'll see that (for the most part) they collectively played weaker opponents for most of the seaosn.

Their are alot of things that go into winning or at leats going to a SB:
A. Strength of schedule-do you think the Pats recent legacy is tarnished if we go back and see that they played weaker opponents in one of the three seasons that they won it all, probably not. Same goes for the 90's cowgirls, 80's 49er's and redskins, and the 70's steelers. I'm sure they played some weak offensive opponents from time to time and maybe even one season they played mostly weak offensive teams. Same goes for the bills 4 AFC champs in a row. Another good one is to look up the undefeated Fins team in the early 70's and see what their strength of schedule was.

B. Luck-Some of the teams have to re-build or go through an injury ditch and the opposing teams that get to play them usually win. This is sometimes a result of the revolving schedule we got now.

There are other reasons but these are two common reasons that teams like the bills look that they have an exceptional defense when in reality they have an average/sub-par defense that couldn't tackle a sack of potatoes as long as it had #80 Texans jersey on it. :neener:

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
with jp losman at the reigns, the bills will struggle with their 1st time starter. i expect them to lose the first few games.

Shinibu

Practice Squad
You texan fans are *****S, except for a few. You have a pretty good team that is getting better, but they are not gonna win this game. Its gonna be Bills 20-10.

Losman 230 yards, 1 td, 1 int
Mcgahee 130 yards 1 td

Carr 176yd, 1 td 3 int
Davis 67 yd 0 td.

CAbills

Noob
Shinibu said:
You texan fans are *****S, except for a few. You have a pretty good team that is getting better, but they are not gonna win this game. Its gonna be Bills 20-10.

Mcgahee 130 yards 1 td

Carr 176yd, 1 td 3 int
Davis 67 yd 0 td.

No need to result to name calling. Dont give bills fans a bad name.

Wolf

100% Texan
to me all JP has to do is pull a trent dilfer ... don't make mistakes and take care of the ball... let the RB do their thing and the defense do theirs.. should be a close game IMO..

Texans.. need to stop the run and make JP beat them.. Texans have to get some kind of pass rush esp on 3rd down with either 3 or 4 people.

Texans should win a close one though :highfive:

well our D should be improved this year, so id say we have a better chance of beating them this year than we woulda had last year.

overfrombuffalo

Practice Squad
hey just wanted to say, and i think i speak for all bills fan when i say this....

good luck the first game, should be a well hard fought game. you guys have a tough offense we got a tough defense, you have johnson we have mcgahee.

my prediction is bills win 24-20(obviously im gonna say that haha)

cya, maybe ill be around more who knows

TexanFanInCC

Veteran
Vinny said:
Bills 27
Texans 24

Texans have one of the worst run defenses in the NFL until proven otherwise. No pass rush either. The Bills have a dominant running game and a dominant defense. 0-1 for the good guys
no pass rush??? with better corners and antwan peek getting more time, our defense has the luxury of being more aggressive in the blitzing department.

Shinibu said:

Mcgahee 130 yards 1 td

Carr 176yd, 1 td 3 int
Davis 67 yd 0 td.
You got the yardage right but on the wrong guy. McGahee will be the one with the most yards and JP is gonna have >200.

And the Texans #'s are my prediction too, ........AT THE HALF!!!!!!! minus the int's

overfrombuffalo

Practice Squad
I'll give you the good (top 10 scoring D) defense, but dominant running game? Stats don't tell the whole story, but...

Houston 481 attempts, 1882 yds, 3.9 ypc, 117.6 ypg, 16 TD's, 103 1st downs
Buffalo 483 attempts, 1874 yds, 3.9 ypc, 117.1 ypg, 15 TD's, 102 FD's

I've never heard anyone describe our running game as dominant as a matter of fact somewhere I have heard people say it is a running game no one is scared of. I'd go more with Texans good (and the potential to be really good) and Bills really good.
ok well willis mcgahee only started 11 games so that has alot to do with it. he is much better than travis henry, not to mention davis

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
overfrombuffalo said:
ok well willis mcgahee only started 11 games so that has alot to do with it. he is much better than travis henry, not to mention davis
The point is the overall running game for the team--that is why the stats are for the team and not McGahee and Davis alone. In any event, McGahee averaged a whopping 0.1 more ypc than the Bills running game in total so his not starting a few games didn't affect the numbers above much at all.

mouldsmachine1

Practice Squad
Houston is making some strides, but they cant really compete with the Bills on opening day in orchard park. Ive seen your pourus run defense and if Willis gets into the secondary more than 10 times hes going to have a huge day. Im talking close to 200 yards. Our defense has is shut-down when it comes to the run, with arguably the best secondary in the league. Wont give up more than 20 points. 31-17 Bills.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
mouldsmachine1 said:
Our defense has is shut-down when it comes to the run, with arguably the best secondary in the league.
You've got to be kidding me. Two years ago when you had Clements and Winfield along with Milloy you perhaps had a case, but even then AJ had 122 yds on 4 receptions with a TD. Teams like the Vikings (Smoot, Winfield, Chavous, Sharper, B. Williams) or Baltimore (McAllister, Rolle, Deion, Reed, Demps) have a a legit case for calling themselves the best secondary in the league.

mouldsmachine1 said:
with arguably the best secondary in the league. Wont give up more than 20 points. 31-17 Bills.
first of all, our secondary is way better than yours, second of all, we wont lose because if we cant run on yall (which we will, you lost your ginourmous DT in the middle) then we'll just pass all over you. you dont have anyone that can cover andre

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
mouldsmachine1 said:
Houston is making some strides, but they cant really compete with the Bills on opening day in orchard park. Ive seen your pourus run defense and if Willis gets into the secondary more than 10 times hes going to have a huge day. Im talking close to 200 yards. Our defense has is shut-down when it comes to the run, with arguably the best secondary in the league. Wont give up more than 20 points. 31-17 Bills.
You sure your not a jag fan, because we hear the same thing from them all the time. Davis might not break the big one, but he always gets positive yardage and is a double threat, he is very underated. You say you've seen our run defense, but I don't think you have. We totally revamped our lb core and added pure speed, plus Payne is going to be a full season removed from his knee injurey and him and Walker will be playing for their jobs with a very talented #1drft pck. rookie sitting right behind them. R. Smith is great at stuffing the run and will have a full season under his belt playing in the 3-4 as will J. Babin. As for your secondary I don't think you'll have that much of a advantage. We have one of the most Young talented secondaries in the league.

TEXANS84

Staff member
mouldsmachine1 said:
Wont give up more than 20 points. 31-17 Bills.
Thats a pretty stout assessment for JP Losman on his first ever game. 31 points eh?

And your defense doesn't scare us either. I seem to remember a team that always tells us how "strong, and scary" their defense is. But yet last year in two games, they never scored a touchdown against us....and we won both games with a combined score of 41-6.

The bills secondary has four probowlers ( Clements Vincent McGee Milloy) all of them went to at least one probowl I know what Andrre Johnson did in 2003 but moulds was hurt and McGahee didn't play oh and Lee Evans wasn't a buffalo bill plus TV wasn't their either Not to mention didn't buffalo have the Copmeback against a houston team? I can't remember really well they were down 35-3 and won wasn't that team from houston talk about a melt DOWN!! :highfive:

TEXANS84

Staff member
Evans Fan said:
I can't remember really well they were down 35-3 and won wasn't that team from houston talk about a melt DOWN!! :highfive:
Why don't you bring that up to the Titan fans. That game means nothing to us now.

Here is my assessment of the game.

Houston offense:
QB: Carr He is becoming an experienced veteran. I would like to see him calling the plays himself a little more. I think he had a few "Delay of game" from the play not making it in to him. I can see 2 TD's and on 1 Int.
RB: DD needs solid blocking of course to make a dent in the Buffalo defense. Pat Williams moving to the Vikes will help in this part of his game. He will have to make those catches out of the backfield when they are running 2 and 3 deep coverage. I would assume Takeo is going to be following him around alot though so he better get his recieveing yards while already downfield. Spikes will close fast on him.

WR's: AJ can dominate a secondary's attention and still make the catch. Gaffney should do well in the slot. I think the WR's that will give the Bills secondary the biggest issue for matchups are Bradford and Jerome Mathis IMHO moreso Mathis. I am curious. Who would cover him?

TE: We have one-dimension TE's. When either Miller or Bruener is in the game the defense is able to cheat a little to the run or the pass.

OL: The OL has still not been completely settled after 3 years. I would have hoped that by year 4 there would have been a solid OL, but we are still developing a couple of positions. I think they will be able to keep Carr off his back if the 3 and 5 step passes work.

DL: We have pro-bowl DT's in Wlaker and Payne coupled with a solid DT in Smith. Add in our experienced depth and 1st round pick and I think we are going to be fine on the DL.

LB's: We have Babin returning with a year of experience. I hope he has bulked up a little to match Peek. Babin can keep up with the best RB's. Ask LT Peek should be a monster at disturbing the peace in the backfield. Wong will have to be the glue here. He will have to be the leader of the LB's and the defense to some degree. Our new LB from the Dolphins, Morlon Greenwood, should help patrol the middle to stop up McGahee.

DB's: Buchanon will have his hands full with Moulds, but having a guy like Coleman up top should help him quite a bit. Robinson should be able to cover Evans straight up most of the time. Faggins will shift to RCB and Drob will play NB in 3-WR sets. I would expect the Texans to go to cover-2 when Faggins is playing on the outside.

STs: The Texans are paying special attention to ST's. We have yet to have a KO or a punt return for a TD (I think ?) I sure hope Pbuc and Mathis can break the trend.

I know it is one-sided, because the Texans are my team and thats who I follow. Feel free to pick apart the logic. Texans 31 Buf 21

H

HaTeItOrLoVeIt

i personally think it's hilarious to read all these posts saying how the Bills are going to win big and they have all these high scoring predictions...mcgahee will be the only weapon for the Bills...Losman will disappoint...but mcgahee can only do so much. The Bills D will keep you in the game but Texans win...and no they won't score more than 17 in this game...any other predictions are just homerism at its best

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
rittenhouserobz said:
Here is my assessment of the game.

LB's: Peek should be a monster at disturbing the peace in the backfield.
This is going to be an interesting match-up. Peek in for the 1st time as 1st stringer (yes he started a few games his rookie year but that was due to injury) up against Mike Gandy, a 3rd round selection of the Bears who lost his starting gig there and will be appearing in his 1st regular season game for the Bills in place of Jonas Jennings.

THEFUTURE

Rookie
Evans Fan said:
McGahee didn't play
who cares? you still had a very good running back in Travis Henry that was carrying the load, its not like you guys were being held down, because you didnt have a running back.

McGahee is better than Henry so if you couldn't stop henry how can u expect to to McGahee? Plus Lee Evans will give drob trouble because he had to face law, surtain as corners and that made him into a really good reciever

THEFUTURE

Rookie
Evans Fan said:
McGahee is better than Henry so if you couldn't stop henry how can u expect to to McGahee? Plus Lee Evans will give drob trouble because he had to face law, surtain as corners and that made him into a really good reciever
mcgahee might be now, but then, henry was a very productive back, and the most willis can do is duplicate it... teams are on to mcgahee now, and will key on him, more than the pass, no one is scared of jp losman... lee evans won't give drob problems, if anything its the opposite. plus since when does facing tough receivers a few times a year make you an automatic better receiver.... and another thing, dunta wont even match up against evans, buchanon will... number 2 receiver vs number 2 cornerback

THEFUTURE said:
mcgahee might be now, but then, henry was a very productive back, and the most willis can do is duplicate it... teams are on to mcgahee now, and will key on him, more than the pass, no one is scared of jp losman... lee evans won't give drob problems, if anything its the opposite. plus since when does facing tough receivers a few times a year make you an automatic better receiver.... and another thing, dunta wont even match up against evans, buchanon will... number 2 receiver vs number 2 cornerback

then drob will be punished by moulds and evans should have no problem with p buch plus you guys will have to watch Mcgee on kickoff returns he's amazing ( 4 return Td's last year) and roscoe parrrish or Johnathn " fast freddie" smith will burn yu on punts . Look at last year Bills #1 special teams oh and another thing watch for the Mcgahee stiff arm IT"S FAMOUS in buffalo. Your defenders will be left on the field wondering what hit them like this :ouch: plus this is for Vinny You remeber the comback what did that feel like when it happened i want to kno

TEXANS84

Staff member
Evans Fan said:
You remeber the comback what did that feel like when it happened i want to kno
Do you remember it? That would make you say...2 at that time?

That's a pointless arguement on these boards. Like I said before, the Oilers now reside in Tennessee. They took the colors, the team, and their history to Nashville.

Doug

Rookie
watch for the Mcgahee stiff arm IT"S FAMOUS in buffalo. Your defenders will be left on the field wondering what hit them

I'm just curious why his stiff arm is only famous in Buffalo.!?

ATX

Hall of Fame
Evans Fan said:
you'll see
yeah, and you'll see mcgahee get his a** knocked down by jason simmons or dunta robinson. please refer to the post "texans highlights clips".

I am sure Chris Brown or I believe it was wheatly can tell what a hit our DB's can lay on a RB. YOu should not sound too confident until the second hlf of the game at least. So far we are 1-0 when facing AFC east opponents on the road in season-opener's. :)

THEFUTURE

Rookie
Evans Fan said:
then drob will be punished by moulds and evans should have no problem with p buch plus you guys will have to watch Mcgee on kickoff returns he's amazing ( 4 return Td's last year) and roscoe parrrish or Johnathn " fast freddie" smith will burn yu on punts . Look at last year Bills #1 special teams oh and another thing watch for the Mcgahee stiff arm IT"S FAMOUS in buffalo. Your defenders will be left on the field wondering what hit them like this :ouch: plus this is for Vinny You remeber the comback what did that feel like when it happened i want to kno
moulds can hardly punish anyone anymore, let alone an emerging elite cornerback in Dunta. how many TD's have we ever given up on ST??? i am thinking 1 maybe last year... can't really think of to many... a stiff arm would be famous in buffalo, you don't have much else to be proud about around there do you? it must be getting pretty bad down there, when a stiff arm is famous, and not just any stiff arm... a special teams stiff arm... people in buffalo must really love those special teams

CAbills

Noob
THEFUTURE said:
it must be getting pretty bad down there, when a stiff arm is famous, and not just any stiff arm... a special teams stiff arm... people in buffalo must really love those special teams
Lets read it again...thats not what he said.

Reading comprehension, the lost art.

Blake

MMQB
I love how every week we have some know it all fans from the other team come over and start the smack talk. Hello Bills fans.

It never fails.