Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Heisman

Nor is it based on any criteria other than the whim of lazy voters.

no doubt. apparently 10% of the voters actually submitted their vote before the conference championships. unless you think the player who deserves it the most isn't playing, why would one do that?

I don't see how they can give it to anyone other than Suh. He's maybe the most dominant college defensive player in NCAA history. The offensive players aren't doing anything that we don't see every other year. They're good players, but clearly not the most outstanding players in college football. None of the offensive performances would even be good enough for consideration for the heisman last year.

no doubt. apparently 10% of the voters actually submitted their vote before the conference championships. unless you think the player who deserves it the most isn't playing, why would one do that?

Because its a "regular season" award. Bowl games don't count because not everybody plays in one....is the same not true of the conference championship?

Because its a "regular season" award. Bowl games don't count because not everybody plays in one....is the same not true of the conference championship?

bowl games don't count because they're the postseason. the championship game is considered the regular season since major bowl matchups are not determined until after they're played, and the final BCS standings is immediately after them.

bowl games don't count because they're the postseason. the championship game is considered the regular season since major bowl matchups are not determined until after they're played, and the final BCS standings is immediately after them.

I get what you are saying, but I disagree. Regular season games are scheduled...post season games are earned. THAT is the differentiator.

For all the talk of the BCS mattering, the reality is that it is still a mythical award. There is no NCAA postseason other than the conference championships. That the bowl invites come after is irrelevant....they are not NCAA games.

you EARN your way into a conference championship.

you get INVITED to a bowl game.

they're very different.

you EARN your way into a conference championship.

you get INVITED to a bowl game.

they're very different.

lol...for BCS games you have to use the most liberal interpretation of the word "invite". The title game and hosts of the other bowl games are mandated based on conference standings and the polls. OSU and Oregon to Rose - mandated; GA Tech to Orange - Mandated;Texas vs Alabama - Mandated. Sounds earned to me.

Anyway, invited vs earned is irrelevant. Simply put, to punish or reward a Heisman candidate because his team got (or was excluded from) an EXTRA game (Earned OR Invited) is unfair. The playing field is uneven enough with piling on that added element.

If someone other than Suh or Gerhart win, this trophy is hollow. They were the best players on the field when they played. I know, alot of people would rather see Ingram win it, but statistically there is no comparison.

Voters who sent in their ballot after the A&M game could propel Colt to the top.

There will be some that did that, there that won't be so many that it will cause McCoy to win.

If he wins, it will be because a lot of people voted for him, not just the people who voted early.

Suh has more tackles for loss, sacks, quarterback hurries, broken up passes, forced fumbles and blocked kicks than Alabama's entire defensive line this season

Ingram was the only Heisman finalist to leave the awards presentation empty handed so he is probably a sure bet to win the Heisman.

If someone other than Suh or Gerhart win, this trophy is hollow. They were the best players on the field when they played. I know, alot of people would rather see Ingram win it, but statistically there is no comparison.

I heard it from the grapevine, Ingram is running away with it :peek:

Ingram was the only Heisman finalist to leave the awards presentation empty handed so he is probably a sure bet to win the Heisman.

I never heard about this theory before this morning. The Walter Camp or Davey O'Brien award winner never is the kiss of death for a Heisman candidate. At least that's how I heard it.

I heard it from the grapevine, Ingram is running away with it :peek:

I actually hope Colt doesn't win the Heisman. Seems like the Heisman winner's team usually loses whenever they play for the NC.

If Colt loses the Heisman, the the Horns will come in with a bigger chip on their shoulder then they already have. And they need all the help they can get against Bama.

Ingram will win, that's obvious

Yet another generic offensive skill position player, having a generic season, putting up generic numbers, running through holes 10 yards wide, that a quadriplegic midget with down syndrome could average 5 ypc running through.

Ingram isn't even top 10 in rushing. You could spot him 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns, and his year would still be less impressive than Suh's.

Yet another generic offensive skill position player, having a generic season, putting up generic numbers, running through holes 10 yards wide, that a quadriplegic midget with down syndrome could average 5 ypc running through.

Ingram isn't even top 10 in rushing. You could spot him 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns, and his year would still be less impressive than Suh's.
Wow, if he were eligible the Texans should draft him!

yup. he's not even the best at his position in the conference. Dixon at MSU is a better player.

Suh on Washington State will still be the best player in the country and the number one pick. Ingram on Washington State is...nobody.

Somebody help me out here.

What's the correlation between a guy not winning Davey O'Brien and Walter Camp and that same guy winning the Heisman?

Why is it that Ingram not winning any awards makes for the assumption that he'll win the Heisman?

What's the correlation between a guy not winning Davey O'Brien and Walter Camp and that same guy winning the Heisman?

Why is it that Ingram not winning any awards makes for the assumption that he'll win the Heisman?

That is what I am thinking. He won no RB awards, so they are going to say he is the most outstanding player? He was not even the most outstanding RB in the SEC.

Not sayin, just sayin.

Troy Smith
2006 Walter Camp Award
2006 Davey O'Brien Award
2006 Heisman Trophy

Tim Tebow
2007 Davey O'Brien Award winner
2007 Heisman Trophy winner

Sam Bradford
2008 Davey O'Brien Award winner
2008 Heisman Trophy winner

Colt McCoy
2009 Davey O'Brien Award winner
Heisman? TBD.

This theory hasn't held true in recent years. But in the past, when the Heisman race was close the "other guys" would be sent home with the majority of the college football awards so they wouldn't feel cheated when they didn't win the Heisman. They would at least win something.

I think the late season push of both Gerhart & Ndamukong Suh cancel each other out while Ingram sneaks underneath the pile for
heisman-trophy.jpg

Ten SI writers voted in the Heisman, and six of them voted Suh first. Two more voted him second, and one imbecile didn't even have Suh on his ballot.

LINK

Why is Tebow even there?

I thought they only invited guys who had a legitimate shot at winning?...

So much for "most outstanding player in college football" the Heisman cannot even get the most outstanding player in an offensive skill position right!!!

really thought gerhart was going to when
congrats to ingram first player in the history of alabama to win the award
hard to believe

Have to say overall I'm unimpressed despite such a close vote.

Should've been Gerhart or Suh. Gerhart was stepped up when his team needed him in big upsets in the PAC 10 and put Stanford back on map as a program.

Suh. All I gotta say is when you are a DL and you lead your team in tackles and passes defensed you're damn good. Kid domianted the LOS.

It was a joke to have Tebow invited as well.

Ingram is deserving, but he isn't the most deserving (if that makes any sense).

McCoy is more valuable to his team, Gerhart has better stats, and Suh is the most talented. Probably the main reason why the Heisman is flawed is because they change the criteria for it every year without ever really defining what they are anyway.

For Ingram to win this is a total joke. Thiss appears to be no more than a sympathy vote for Alabama...gee were sorry you have never won a Heisman before and even though Ingram is not the best RB in FBS, or even in his own conference, we are giving you this as a reward for going undefeated and owning Florida.

Come on please... this trophy has now lost all credibility as an indicator of the most outstanding player award.

For Ingram to win this is a total joke. Thiss appears to be no more than a sympathy vote for Alabama...gee were sorry you have never won a Heisman before and even though Ingram is not the best RB in FBS, or even in his own conference, we are giving you this as a reward for going undefeated and owning Florida.

Come on please... this trophy has now lost all credibility as an indicator of the most outstanding player award.

How did you not know this was a bunk award a few years ago. I had some hope that Suh could win after all the hype he got after the Big 12 Championship. I was kind of pissed about some of the voters and how many cast their ballot before the championships games. This voter is a prime example of bad voting

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/525

the heisman lost credibility with me years ago. it's become nothing more than a popularity contest! i personally put more stock in the walker and camp and maxwell awards, because the people behind those awards dont have a hidden agenda. no way espn was gonna let gerhart or mccoy win the heisman because they've probably already did the E:60 story on ingram

How did you not know this was a bunk award a few years ago. I had some hope that Suh could win after all the hype he got after the Big 12 Championship. I was kind of pissed about some of the voters and how many cast their ballot before the championships games. This voter is a prime example of bad voting

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/525

my god that's terrible! That guy should lose his right to cast a ballot. Tebow 1st?

Suh 4th? Complete joke.

Excellent ending and why I think so.

Tebow: had his shot at glory already and will probably be drafted first round.
Suh: I can't cry for him. He will be top 3 if not first pick.
McCoy: Heisman would not effect his draft slot or his ability to be NFL QB. UT may used as incentative against Alabama.
Ingram: if he goes pro, trophy may help him be selected high and allow my guy Gerhart to drop to Texans.

Gerhart: okay so I'm selfish. I know what he can do and I want him to do it in Houston. After he does well at combine, I am hoping out of sight, out of mind and he falls to round three. I do not think Smith will select a back in first two rounds. With everybyd loving the Slaton & Chris Johnson type back, I'm hoping a few of those go before Toby. Brighten up RMartin65, this could have been the best thing for us.

Back