Heat Forces Texans Trainers to Adapt

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

One advantage is there is no need to have any urinals around the practice field.:kitten:

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Wonder if this heat has anything to do with all the hamstring and groin injuries ....

3. CloakNNNdagger

Undoubtedly, at least one of the significant factors.

4. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I understand that toughed it out in the heat helps your mental aspects of it but, world is getting warmer every year and would it be a wise idea to practice more in a bubble than outdoors? I am not saying that all of practice should be done in a bubble but more portion of practice. NFL's hottest training camp is not much to brag about and didn't help us any in the past. Players' health is my main concern.

Go Texans!!!

5. pirbroke

pirbroke All Pro

lose 14 pounds in one day. Damn I did not know that was possible, that sure sounds unhealthy.

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yes, it does.

7. CloakNNNdagger

That's almost all water loss. Even if you starve yourself, it's not possible to lose anymore than approximately 1.5 pounds of true (non-water) body weight in one day, Keep in mind, that to lose one pound of fat, you must burn approximately 3500 calories over and above what you already burn doing daily activities.

Fighters commonly use coffee and other diuretics like asparagus and brussel sprouts and spinach, and cathartics and avoidance of liquid intake and fruit prior to weigh in, in order to weigh in way below their normal weight to be matched with lighter opponents. Then they rehydrate to their higher normal weight prior to the fight. The difference can put them in an entirely different weight class than what they should be placed.

8. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Thats why weigh ins should be done the day of the fight, preferabably an hour or so before.

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Shouldn't they minimize sugar?

10. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

def, i know when i did work in the field all day in the oilfield, 16 hour days with no breakes, a lot of us would even feel like we pulled a hamstring/groin, but they were just cramping up. hell last month we had 25+ people fall out from the heat at my yard alone, a total of well over 140+ company wide. it gives ur muscles a beating. i never got an IV but i missed a week of work after falling out, all my leg muscles would cramp up all day and night for the whole week, it sucked pretty bad.

11. TheDream34

TheDream34 Veteran

But...but.... I thought we were soft

12. EllisUnit

:whip: easy for the people sitting in the broadcasters booths to say that. What do they know ?!?!?!?

13. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Don't the coaches know this? I can't imagine why they wouldn't practice in the bubble every single practice as a simple way to avoid the kinds of injuries that occur during this kind of heat.

14. EllisUnit

u can get used to the heat up to a point, like the article says they are preparing for some early HOT games they play this season. Kinda good to get them a little used to it instead of the whole team going down with cramps/muscle pulls.

15. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I suppose that makes some kind of sense.

But I remember when the Oilers had to go into Pittsburgh in December and the press asked Bum why he didn't have the team practicing in the snow and ice. Bum said : "You can't practice being miserable."

16. EllisUnit

haha well if bum would of won us a few superbowls maybe, take it for what its worth, but trust me, its much easier to work out in the sun ALL day after doing it a week than it is if its ur first day in the sun.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If any NFL games are played in 90 or above degree weather it is just stupid.

18. EllisUnit

dont agree these guys get paid a lot of money, we have people that work out there in the hot sun all day long and dont make 1/1,000 of what some of these guys make. they can go 3 hours, with fans, breaks and plenty cold drinks to drink.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

WHen does what other people do have anything to do with NFL? We built a multi-million dollar stadium
    & can push a button to close roof & crank the air. Just do it.

20. EllisUnit

what about outside stadiums ? Like Miami, should they cancel the games if its above 90 ? 90 is not hot, hell to me 110 is not hot. And it has to do with it is their job, so if the game is outside they shouldnt cancel the game cause of heat, they dont cancel work for me, our any one else i know.