Head Coaches to replace Capers. Who is out there?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Jan 10, 2005.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

There has been much talk about fire Dom Capers this and fire Dom Capers that. My question is, who is out there that we could bring in? Reason why I ask is because each year we have seen improvement with this team (and yes there was much improvement this year than last). If we bring in someone else, who is to say that guy wont screw everything up? Sure it is easy to say fire the coach and get somebody else but it could backfire and ruin the steadily improving team we have right now.

Who is out there that could come in and right this ship that is on plan IMO?

2. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

It's a moot point this year anyway because he won't be fired/replaced. Some feel on here that he will be under fire next year to produce a winning record or his job may be in jeopardy. I'm sort of beginning to think that may just be the case.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

We will know of more head coaches being fired in the next week or so. But I think if you repleace dom, its with a assistant coach. Like Romeo, or someone who has the skills.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I wouldn't buy into an ounce of talk about replacing Capers. It isn't going to happen.

5. hou059

hou059 Veteran

yeah, especially not this year. I don't see anyone out there who can do what Capers has done so far with the Texans. I'll admit I often get frusterated witht he conservative play-calling but I think he is doing a good job. I wish the Texans were further along but Capers is safe for now. If McNair is happy with Capers, which I think he is then no one else's opinion matters!

6. Mistril48

Mistril48 All Pro

I agree.

Hey, if you are playing fantasy anyway, I say hire Keyser Soyez, or Neo (after all ... he is the one).

7. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Capers isn't going anywhere.

But, if we were without a head coach and looking...I really like Urban Meyer. Something about his spread offense looks awfuly inviting for our Texans.
    He seems to me like he wouldn't be one of those college coaches that would flop upon entering the NFL.

8. hou059

hou059 Veteran

Really? Meyer? huh, well I would like to see the Texans open it up more on offense and that's what would happen. But I don't know after seeing how Spurrier flopped I would be hesistant of any college coach trying to install a spread or fun-n-gun O in the NFL.

9. jagsfanincanada

jagsfanincanada Veteran

If you guys were to replace Capers, which you aren't this year, the guy you could hire that would scare me the most is Romeo Crennel. Now that guy can coach a defense, and he's already an expert in a 3-4 so you wouldn't have to make a radical shift in personnel.

10. hou059

hou059 Veteran

Yeah no doubt Crenel can coach, he would be a cadidate but for now Capers is a Texan and will actually be a Texan for at least 2 more seasons.

11. brickmantexanfan

brickmantexanfan Veteran

Hey guys capers isn't going anywhere atleast not this year.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It is not that we think he is going anywhere. This thread is to ask those who want him fired, who they think could do a better job. There certainly isn't anyone I can think of right off the bat that could make this team turn the corner. Also what makes everything so sure that if Capers were to be fired, that the next guy wouldn't make the team regress more.

13. phan1

phan1 All Pro

No way we even think about firing Capers right now. If anything, he's done a great job putting this Texans team together, and for that point alone, he deserves to be the head coach for the whole 5 years he's been contracted to. Expecially since this is still a young team, this is not a situation to change a head coach right now.

However, if we don't at least go above .500 the next two seasons, than we might probably start looking...

14. trijcomm

trijcomm Guest

I don't believe that -- not for a second. Perhaps some folks on this board are expecting a winning record and therefore believe that, but that is ludicrous. This team just finished their third year. An 8-8 team would be fine because it would represent progression and that's exactly what Capers said he was trying to do -- improve year by year. If you get a new coach after next year, it might set "The Team" back five years -- maybe more.

15. TexansFan#80

TexansFan#80 Rookie

I totally agree 100% Why would the Texans fire a coach that has shown improvement every year? Why would the Texans fire a coach who has stuck with the original plan since day 1? It would not and does not make any sense. If Dom got fired, I'd really question management and myself as far as being a Texans fan. They're on the right track with Dom Capers as head coach.

16. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I am not in love with Capers and wasn't when we hired him, but the team has gotten better every year and whether you agree with it or not he has an idea of what type of style he want to play on both offense and defense.

17. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:howdy: They really can't help but to improve.They are not improving in some areas.This next year will be the key.A dog can hunt or it can't and after 4 years they better have jumped to a real playoff contender.
    I'd vote for Crenel.

18. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

Jimmy Johnson out of retirement or just promote Toro!

19. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

I am available and will coach for food!
    :rofl:

20. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

I like Capers and hope that he will win a Super Bowl here. He will definitely be the coach here for at least two more seasons.

However, if the Texans had to hire a new head coach this offseason I would want Jeff Fisher.