Have we really looked deep enough at Wade Phillips?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Jan 3, 2011.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I understand alot of people aren't happy with an addition of Wade Phillips as DC and want Gary Kubiak fired. I too agree that it will not make up for the lack of ability to score within two minutes etc....

However after looking at Wade Phillips history as a DC and not a head coach, I'm having some second thoughts and am wondering if this actually IS the best move for the Texans right now. Maybe if we can see the improvements on defense like the improvements he's made with other teams, we will not have to score in the last few minutes of every half.

Here are how his defenses have ranked in points allowed while he was the DC.

Saints 81-85
    81- 24th
    82- 8th
    83- 12th
    84- 19th
    85- 22nd

Philly 86-88 (where he ran a 4-3)
    85 - Prior to him being there Philly was ranked 10th
    86- 12th
    87-25th
    88- 14th

Denver 89-92
    1988 Denver ranked 20th in points allowed prior to his arrival
    89- 1st
    90- 23rd
    91 - 3rd
    92-19th

Buffalo 95-97
    1994 Buffalo ranked 22nd in points allowed prior to his arrival
    1995- 12th
    1996 - 6th
    1997 - 23rd

Atlanta 02-03
    2001 Atlanta ranked 24th in points allowed prior to his arrival
    02- 8th
    03- 30th

San Diego 2004-2006

2003 SD ranked 31st in points allowed prior to his arrival
    2004- 11th
    2005- 13th
    2006- 7th

Some info about him in Dallas and what he did with their D:

The Good I See
    Seems like he can get bad defenses and turn them into a team strength right away. Took defenses that were ranked in top 20-30 in points allowed and immediately put them in the top 15 three out of the 5 places he's been a DC.

The Bad I See

Anywhere he's coached for four years, there has been a roller coaster of good and bad seasons. For every two years of great defenses, he give you two years of bad defenses.

Also, pretty much every place he's DC'ed at, he's replaced every head coach. Everytime he replaced the head coach it seems as if the organization was lulled into believing the team responded to him real well but all the reasons for him being fired were because he lost control of the locker room.
    I could just see the same thing happening in Houston and with our owner. Kubiak screws up and then our owner doesn't look for a better coach, he just hires Phillips and then things really go down the drain.

2. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

His body of work according to those stats looks terrible. He has zero consistency, which just so happens to be the EXACT opposite of what this team desperately needs. I don't think this is a very good idea.

3. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

His body of work is good, so I don't know why people are so against him. But he isn't coming to Houston with Kubiak as the HC.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

What makes you think he isn't coming to Houston?

5. GuerillaBlack

His sister called SportsRadio 610 yesterday. Said Wade has "better opportunities than Houston" and she's not sure he would take the job if offered.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost lol football :D

I think you're underestimating the power of family ties and low expectations.

Wade is probably looking for one more gig, and this is close to home for him, with very supportive and familiar management... and a defense that literally *could not* be any worse than it already is. Wade could fart on Kareem Jackson and make him better than he is now.

This would be the only job I could see him taking before he decides to hang em up.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

He consistently takes terrible defenses and puts them in the top 10-15 defenses in the league in points allowed. Remember that's not overall ranking. I took points allowed because I believe with our offense we could beat alot more teams if we kept the other team from scoring 24-30 points a game.

8. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

How do you see his body of work being good? He left the Saints with the 22nd ranked D, Philly with the 14th, Denver with the 19th, Buffalo with the 23rd, Atlanta with the 30th and SD with the 7th.

It is possible that he can come in and get us an above average defense, but it appears more likely that we would remain in the lower half.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Okay. Now I'm pissed we are keeping Gary.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost lol football :D

I seriously, seriously doubt that one of his family members would call in to a radio show to talk about his job status publicly.

11. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

His body of work, as illustrated by the above stats, looks terribly average. You would expect a lauded DC that has been doing it for 15+ years to be well above average. His last 5 years as a DC his average rank in points allowed was 13.8. That's just barely better than average.

I don't see any possible spin that will make this look like a good move, let alone the right move. His defensive stats just aren't that impressive at all. And I thought the same thing when I saw them ranked by yards allowed as well as points allowed.

12. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

If Wade falls through, there is always Mangini.

I am probably one of the few that like the guy (as a DC anyways, not a HC)

13. scourge

scourge Digression King

That inconsistency of his D's bugs me. We definitely don't need a rollercoaster defense. If my crappy math is somewhat correct, in 20 seasons as a DC his teams average out to 14th ranked defenses. That of course, if he was consistent. That's just average, but still far better than what we have. Would still like to look at other candidates before them just going with another guy who has ties to the city.

This isn't saying I agree with keeping Kubiak, just trying to look at the situation we are sure to be stuck with.

*edit* just saw wagonhed's post. Looks like my math worked out. yay me.

14. GuerillaBlack

Listen for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZLCM45fX0

15. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

After coming off such a horrific season and heading into one where failure will lead to the kind of revolt unseen in this town's history, why would you bring in a DC who is going to need to change so much of the personnel to fit his style of play when the odds of having much, if any, of an off-season are minimal?

How can anyone realistically expect a massive upgrade of our team under these circumstances?

16. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

She also said she had no inside information and that it was just a hunch. I think she mistakenly believes he will get another opportunity as a HC this season. Can't fault her seeing as she is his sister.

17. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

It happened. There's a link to the interview in one of the other threads.

There was also a PFT article and McNair's own comments yesterday made it sound like he might not even be a candidate now.

I don't think the Wade Phillips rumor came from nowhere. It seems pretty likely to me that there were some talks, but both sides started backing off yesterday.

18. GuerillaBlack

This is true as well. She kinda has to say that. I, for one, hope she is right so McNair can wake the hell up.

McNair: "Hey Wade, what about you coming back home to Houston to coach this defense?"

Wade: "Thanks for the offer, but no."

McNair: "Why not? The offense is in place and Kubiak is a good coach."

Wade: "Well, you said it, Kubiak. Not sure I want to be here with his job on the line. Plus, people my start confusing me and John McClain."

McNair proceeds to give Kubiak another extension...

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Wade's defenses have always been about blitzing the shit out of people.

Either they get there and the team leads the NFL in sacks, or they don't and the pass defense gets burned.

For his 3-4 to work, Von Miller becomes a "must-draft" player for the Texans.

Jackie Chiles likes this.
  20. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Mangini's never been a DC. He's been an offensive assistant and a DB coach.