Have we looked at Jason David?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gtexan02, Apr 20, 2007.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Colts CB, age 24
    8 ints in 3 years
    starter for superbowl champions
    Indy only signed him to the lowest tender (850,000)

Why aren't we look at him?

The compensation is low, and we'd be stealing another starter away from the Indy secondary. That'd make 3 they'd hav elost

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Jason David signed an offer sheet with the Saints.

Why didn't the Texans go after David? Two words. Salary cap.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Smart move by the Saints

4. jlam

jlam Veteran

Word is that the Colts have a week from the day the offer sheet was signed to match. If I were you guys, I would be hoping that Indy declines to match, and thus losing both of their starting corners from last year (Nick Harper UFA signed by Tennessee). I'm sure they have some depth at that postion, but nonetheless, losing your two top CBs plus Cato June, plus Doss can't help the defense.

There are conflicting opinions on wheter Indy will even be able to match. The Colts don't have much cap space at all, and the deal is said to be pretty frontloaded (high cap number in year one) making it that much harder for them to match it while simultaneously lowering his cap hit over the next few years for us.

I really like this move and have no problem with giving up a 4th rounder for David. It certainly keeps us from having to lock in on a certain position in the draft now and gives us more flexibility to address other weak points (like DT).

5. jlam

jlam Veteran

On another note, I'm glad we didn't use the poison pill. I know it's business, but it just seems cheap and underhanded to me. I guess I'm not a businessperson, but I just don't like it.

6. jlam

jlam Veteran

Well, word is now that Indy will likely decline to match as reported on the Saints board.