Has Carr Ever Thrown Over The Middle???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Nov 20, 2006.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Has David Carr thrown a single pass down the middle of the field this season? Not counting dump offs to running backs. We made this big effort to go out and get quality tight end to go over the middle of the field to open things up on the outside and can't recall a single time that Carr has done this.

2. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If I'm not mistaken, TE Daniels is our leading receiver for TDs. He has become
    deeply involved in our passing game, which was not the case before this year
    except with some limited use of Billy whats-his-name during the first couple of years.
    You'd be complaing that the Texans didn't throw to AJ on the 3 & 2 yesterday if Carr had thrown an incompletion to Daniels on the same play.

3. the wonger need food

So the question remains.... has Carr thrown a single pass down the middle of the field this season???

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Yes, but you won't see many deep square-ins and intermediate routes over the middle until our OLine improves. Those routes require 7-step drops and time to develop. We don't do much of that and won't until 2007, hopefully.

5. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

He doesn't have the arm strength to put the ball in a tight spot. He's got lousy downfield vision. Next.

6. the wonger need food

Which game was it?

7. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Yes he has but I don't remember which games.

When he does go deep over the middle, particularly between the hashes, he has problem getting over the linebacker. It seems to alway get tipped from that zone coverage.

Remember the Kansas City preseason game? It happened there and a couple of other times this season.

I have been saying the same thing about David throwing over the middle.

We had the running game yesterday, and the passing game still didn't look that good despite the 22 straight completions.

Bottom line, this offense has a real problem scoring points.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think I recall a TD pass earlier this season to AJ where it was thrown down the middle (home game). :um: Even if true, it's not much to brag about.

9. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

Tight ends don't open up the middle. Wide Receivers open up the middle. When you have two wide receivers on the sidelines and two tight ends in the game, you don't go over the middle. It's nonsense.

We went over the middle and attacked themiddle of the field when we went five wide against NYGiants. Carr can't go over the middle if no one is there over the middle.

10. CarrIsFine

CarrIsFine Rookie

A quote popped in my head when I read this.............

"It is far better to keep your mouth closed and be thought ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt"

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, yesterday he hit Moulds on a seam route on a third and seven or so. On another third down he hit Moulds on an eight yard hook route. He also avoided pressure on another third down and hit Gado crossing the middle of the field late.

12. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

...right...

His arm strengh is better than 90% of the QB's in the NFL and he can honestly make every throw asked of him. That is one of his biggest strengths and to ignore that or not even acknowledge it is ignorant.

His downfield vision is fine. He hits at least 2 bombs a week and looks downfield other times. Our O-line isn't good enough to let those plays develop with any consistency. When he has time, he hits his man. That's all you can ask out of your QB.

13. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

Yeah, your guy has brought the city so much joy.

/wretches

14. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

His downfield vision stinks and his arm is vastly overrated. See how easy it is to be an expert on the internet.

15. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Anyone remember the rocket ship that Jermaine Lewis dropped? 50+ yards on a rope.. Perhaps he just threw it too hard.

16. real

real Guest

Im not as concerned with Carr's arm strength as I am about his placement....

At times he'll make some awesome throws....then he'll come back and make a throw that makes you wonder....

He needs to be more consistent...

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I hear you there. Sometimes, I just have to scratch my head and wonder WTH he is thinking.

18. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

wasnt it the game against washington where he hit AJ over the middle and sean taylor yanked him out of bounce? nice throw

i agree he does make some great throws sometimes with excellent placement (to moulds a couple times yesterday) and other times he just cant put it in the right spot (going for his 23rd straight completion to AJ - pass too far behind him)

19. real

real Guest

Carr's directional Split

Split....................COMP .........ATT........... YDS ............PCT ......TD
    LEFT SIDE ...............46........... 67 ............448 .............68.7 .......3
    MIDDLE ...................14 ...........24 .............81 .............58.3 ........0
    RIGHT SIDE ..............38 ...........49 .............382 ............77.6 .......1

"Does Carr ever throw over the middle" ?

Barely....

20. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

"He hits at least 2 bombs a week"

...guess it depends on what your definition of 'bomb' is--longest completion is 53 yds to AJ/Moulds has one for 29 yds/Daniels has one for 33...JMO, but I wouldn't call the latter 2 'bombs'. 83yds? Yeah, that's a bomb.

Where are the other 19?