Harrington lost the starting job?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by RCB, Jun 17, 2005.

1. RCB

RCB Guest

ESPN.com had a piece on Harrington possibly loosing the starting spot. Anyone know more?

RCB

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I did not see the specific report that you are referencing but plenty of people have speculated that after the signing of Jeff Garcia. However, everything that I have heard or read through various sources is that Harrington has looked better in the offseason, while Garcia seems to have less arm strength than even before(never his strong point even when he was a probowler).

Harrington is in a put up or shut up mode up there. His raw numbers are pretty close the Carr's, but Houston trusts Carr's leadership more than Detroit trusts Harrington's.

3. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

There is an article for those who have ESPN Insider access about the 8 most intriguing position battles in the upcoming training camps. One of them is Harrington vs Jeff Garcia for the Lions starting QB.

The full article

4. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

No. Conversation Over.

In fact, he is getting the most praise from Mooch than he did in the entire previous year, things like, really impressed, really surprised, and major improvement. When before the best thing Mooch would say is, he is young has has alot to learn (rolf) Harrington is currently the decided clear cut favorite from camps, and Jeff Garcia so far hasn't been as impressive according to just about all of the ANTI-JOEY beat writters who would rather bash Joey and Praise him. But it's been praise so far.

The Lions just paid Joey's Roster Bonus, why would they keep him to bench him?

THINK!

5. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

a little depth never hurt

6. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

It's called "positive reinforcement." It's a form of motivation.

I really don't know if being "really surprised" is very motivational though. :rolleyes:
    JMHO

cac: :coffee:

7. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I'm not sure why they signed Garcia though for as much as they did if u really wanted Harrington to feel comfortable.

I mean are they competing for the playoffs?

8. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

They signed Garcia for a year, and about as much as we will pay for 4th CB.

Mooch hasn't said a single good thing about Joey since he has been here. The WR's drop 8 passes in a game, what does Mooch say?

"Joey needs to throw better passes" :) The Entire Media makes a living off of bashing Joey Harrington, if a radio guy has a slow day, they talk about Joey, and they can talk for Hours. This is one of the hardest towns on a QB in the league.

Mooch and the Anti Joey Media only have praise for him so far. And only disapointment with Garcia. Of course , Joey always looks good in camps and preason. He still has WR's to throw to. It's when the IR list starts to fill up that he looks like crap.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Only because Detroit has made an art out of not being able to find a quality signal caller. Seriously, that teams been without a good QB for ages. Harrington could be it but what Lions fan is going to be full of patience after the last couple of decades?

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I heard Andre Ware is available. :highfive:

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

The Bucs just cut Akili Smith last week. Maybe he can challenge.

12. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Ihategeeks
    The Entire Media makes a living off of bashing Joey Harrington, if a radio guy has a slow day, they talk about Joey, and they can talk for Hours. This is one of the hardest towns on a QB in the league.

You are not alone. This from another thread on this site.

Posted by
    TEXANRED

"For all you carr lovers out there dont stress out to much. this city has never liked any of its QB's. Hated pasterinie(i dont know how to spell his name) hated moon, hated billy joe tolliver but for abvious reasons-cause he sucked. I pesonaly couldnt stand cody carlson, in fact the only QB this city has ever liked is Bucky Richardson. I dont think he ever started a game."

I liked "OLE GEORGE", but I imagine that was before most of the posters on this board were born. :D
    Never forget him kicking a KC defensive player in the butt, I think he roughed the old man. Loved those early Oilers.

cac: :coffee: