Hallelujah - we have a Real GM

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DontTreadOnMe, Mar 6, 2007.

1. DontTreadOnMe

DontTreadOnMe Rookie

i know some of you are not too happy with what GM Rick Smith has done thus far into the offseason, but i am sitting on the opposite end of that spectrum. The job our gm has done (in my eyes) has been solid and rational.. from finding key street free agents last season to signing (and lets not forget, convincing) ahman green to come play here for a fair (on both sides) contract, he is proving himself again & again. in addition, he seems to be very heady and conscious of the importance of maintaining a healthy salary cap; in which, will serve him well in the future by resisting those 'splashy' moves that end up biting us in the rear a couple years down the road. the gm is so crucial in professional sports this day and age (with mass scouting, media, etc..) and i think smith can potentially be one of the best. Rick Smith is the youngest gm in football, and without a doubt one of the most competent. He has a bright, bright future in the NFL as a GM... and once he gets this ship turned around, he will be nationally & locally touted as one of the saviors of h-town football. Lets do this...

Which end of the Rick Smith 'spectrum' do ya'll stand?

2. jdm12

jdm12 Rookie

I am right with you! I use to cringe at the deals Charlie Cass. use to make. Most of them were for people past their prime and/or injured in some fashion. I just did not understand it.

At any rate I give an AMEN on this one. I knew the FA market was not going to be huge for us. However, getting Green in here for a fair price, resigning AJ which actually gave us cap room, and cutting other players to get more cap room.... Rick Smith gets an A+ from me so far. If he can draft the way he picks them off the street, WOW!!!

Oh and lets not forget opening targeting other QB's to get rid of Mr. Untouchable (off the field that is). I applaud the job he has done so far and look forward to more moves that he may pull off.

J

3. mikey21

mikey21 Lifer

what i have noticed is he is doing what needs to be done to fix the cap problem the texans have, the great teams in the nfl are built through the draft so i am waiting to see how he does with his first draft calling the shots with kubiak, if he does it right this ship can be turned around in no time and with cap room to spare in2008 we can make a run at one or two big time free agents next year to help put the texans over the top, it seems that this front office has it's act together and i am looking forward to the moves that are yet to come

4. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

What do you mean a REAL GM? Casserly was a REAL GM, I mean a REAL BAD GM.

5. jayjordan

jayjordan Rookie

Dude I think I luv our GM

6. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

I have to follow suit. I love our GM as well. He makes rash, calculated decisions and sticks with them. No going to the front office and demanding anything. I also like him for the fact that he, like Kubiak is an ex player.

7. Capster67

Capster67 Veteran

I agree. He does the so called little things right. I noticed, for instance, that while the Travis Henry deal was comparable to Green's in overall dollars, Green only got half the guaranteed dollars that Henry got. This says that he's smart enough to make the players work for their money. I'm sure the team will greatly benefit from such an approach.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

So far, so good !

9. texans83

texans83 All Pro

He is doing a great job, what he accomplished last year by bringing guys in from the street was amazing, reminded me of the replacements. I cant wait to see what he is giong to do in the draft.

10. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

So far, I think Smith is doing a great job. Can't wait to see this year's draft.

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Looking ahead to 2008, if you factor in AJ's new deal, we have about $45 million or more in cap space without many free agents. I think we will need to rework Dunta and maybe Demeco going into his third year. That being said, other than about $1.5 million of dead money if DD/DW gets cut post June 1st, I don't see much on the books next season. It's real early, but with a good draft this year, we may be sitting pretty darn good next year!

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

We also have a new badass cap guy named Chris Olsen. He will deserve much of the credit if the Texans recover quickly from the contracts/dead money mess that CC and Ferens left behind.

13. I actually like that. Sacrifice a a year to recover from bad deals and bad players, all the while draft really well and not sell off your valued draft picks. Grow the team.

14. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

I'll second your statements. While we may not agree with all of the players being brought aboard, at least it looks like we have a logical plan in place to get us headed in the right direction.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I expected to see a restructure announcemnet of Babins contract this year
    in lieu of possibly being cut ? He was afterall in the same Draft class as
    Dunta and also a first rounder.

16. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

A restructure would be nice but I don't see that being in the cards this year. This is the pivotal year for him on the Texans IMO. He could be a "person of interest" as they say for Smith to work with other teams on. And, with Peek now gone, his value to team just went up a bit.

17. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

More importantly, Rick Smith seems to not be over anxious in bringing in Free agents too quick. They have talked to quite a few it seems, but aren't scared of saying "No Thanks" or losing out in price.

The Green deal will work out well in my opinion over the next two years, and I think this year's draft will provide a lot of depth to marginally help the offense, but really allow the defense to make significant leaps from last year.... and our defense improved towards the latter half of the year.

18. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

The most impressive move so far has been the deal we didn't make. There is no doubt in my mind that the last regime would have panicked over the QB situation and shelled out at LEAST a 4th round pick to Denver.

These guys value their draft picks.

19. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

I like the approach so far.

take the hit this year and have close to a clean slate to start next year. whats one more year to sacrifice? we've written off 4 years already. we should be used to it.

20. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I think Cass did a great job with his last draft, and it was probably affected by good communications between him and Kubes.

I disagree about the Green signing. I don't think it was much of a stretch. Green wanted to continue playing, and GB didn't want to pay him to stay. So he went to his former coach, Sherman. Sherman has always liked Green - he took him to Green Bay when Green was having trouble in Seattle (where Sherman was a coach). They are looking for the same kind of magic to be made now later in his career. I suspect Smith had little to do with the coaxing of Green to Houston, but I credit the FO with a pretty decent signing.

With some of the mid-season pick-ups that Smith made, like Maddux, I think he will do well. I look forward to seeing what happens in the draft.