Hall of Fame Game - Sunday Night on NBC

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HomeBred_Texan, Aug 5, 2006.

1. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Tomorrow night we get a small taste of some football. Oakland vs Philly. My money is on Oakland...

But we will see what our season opener has in store for us....

GO TEXANS..... :perfect10:

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Is Matt Nordgren(VY's backup at UT) still with the Eagles? If not, I'll still be intersted in seeing Andrew Walter.

3. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

No, i checked the roster today and his name was not listed.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't know how much we'll learn about Philly. They'll play the starters for a quarter at most and the rest are reserves. It's hard to watch a full preseason game when it's not the Texans.

5. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

Id usually say that but football is finally here so im gunna watch it even if the third string QB is in.

6. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget to watch Jabar Gaffney now playing slot reciever with the Eagles.

[​IMG]

7. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

Been busy handing out equipment for MY football season which'll start Monday ... A lil off-topic of this thread but I didn't wanna start a whole new thread & I was wondering if anyone actually watched Warren Moon be inducted. More importantly, which team if any, will he represent or be recognized with?

8. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Football is finally here!!:yahoo:

9. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

Football Football!!!!!:bananasplit:

Man i cant wait even if its not the texans.

10. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

This matchup is perfect for John Madden, if you think about it. When he first came into the league, he was drafted by the Eagles. A knee injury ended his career before a single play, though. Moving on to bigger things, he winds up coaching the Raiders.... and never had a losing season. He was an amazing coach and the best announcer ever!

On a sad day (in hopefully the far distant future) when our hero Madden passes away, he should have a national holiday just for him. We will call it Maddenoliday, obviously.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If any of y'all with NFL Network have a chance, don't miss Rayfield Wright's acceptance speech. They have been re-running them all morning. It's one of the more powerful and moving induction speeches I've heard.

12. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Oh please no...

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Actually, its one of the most powerful and moving speeches of any kind that
    I've heard in recent years. Listening to it, I was thinking Wright must have been a preacher or politicain (or both). And I don't even care about the Cowboys (1 way or the other), but there could not have been a real Cowboy fan with a dry eye who witnessed that powerhouse performance.
    And Moons speech was very interesting to me. I've never heard a grown man go on about his love and devotion for his mother in such a public forum. And
    don't get me wrong about this because I had the same feelings about my own
    mother, who I lost 2 years ago. But in front of his wife, x-wife, the whole world on ESPN. But I admired Moon for "leaving nothing on the field".

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Not a Dallas fan either, far from it, but if you're a football fan you have to respect the success of the Landry era. Rayfield Wright has every right to talk about America's Team because he lived it, he was an integral part of it, and that was an identifying moniker during that era, much like The Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Air Coryell, Fearsome Foursome et al. Dallas fans who still draw on America's Team for self-sustainment in this day and age, especially those who weren't alive then, are doing nothing more than diluting and thereby disrespecting the accomplishments of Landry's great teams in the 70's and NFL history as a whole.

15. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Great.

I sat through all of them except Wright's speech... and his turns out to be the one to be seen.

Moon flat out thanked Bud Adams, Ladd Herzeg, and Jerry Glannville. ( no, I am not making that up )

McClain put out a pretty good story about those no good for nothing... buzzards.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4097125.html

It caught my attention when Steinberg was listing out the great cities along the way in Moon's career. He named every single one, every single one but Houston.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but isn't Steinberg Carr's agent ? If not, am thinking former agent ?
    But along those same lines, in one comment when referenceing the other new
    HOF members on the stage besides the one he was nominating, I could have
    sworn Al Davis mentioned everybody but Aikman ? And even though old Al looked like hell, he's still got that sharp mind as he whipped thru his nominating speech with not many gliches . So don't think it was an accidentaql omission ? Not sure, though.

17. cap1

cap1 All Pro

Also when Reggie White's Widow finished everyone hugged her, but Aikman.

18. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

So what are yall trying to say about aikman. Hes not the nicest guy or something like that

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I can't speak for anybody else, but my comment was directed at the Raiders
    Al Davis who I thought may have commited a snub towards Aikman. That's the only reference I made to Aikmen.

20. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

No, I caught that too! BUT he did mention Aikman later. *** I am going off of memory ***, I did not go back and check the actual transcript. I do recall thinking the same things and then saying to myself "nice catch Al, to make sure Aikman was included in the big list while he's standing 3 yards away from you."

His speech wasn't a big surprise for me, because he basically repeated the same stuff that he has been giving in interviews for the past week. I did enjoy watching him say "Raida's Football" a few times.

The thing that stuck out most to me with him ( and Madden ) was that they never once mentioned Stabler and I did not see Stabler in the audience either. They both made sure that they mentioned the Lytle fumble though! and not the mystery roughing the passer call... silver and black indeed.
    ---

Madden also made a dumb speech error too... I don't know how many people caught it ( or how many really care, they are football players afterall! ), but he started this story about how he never had to work a day in his life and then in the next speech segment he is talking about how the 'coach is out there working'. If I had a yellow screen marker I would circle it and draw the lines to the two words...

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field.” - Madden

---

Player Agents are a good topic for HOF stuff too.

Reggie White

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&featureId=243

agents... every one of them, scum of the earth. Two bucks over primordial ooze... and that's only because they could make a buck doing it.