Half of NFLs 3-4 teams made the playoffs

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Jan 13, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Six NFL teams used a 3-4 scheme as their base defense in 2006 and half of them have reached the conference semifinal playoff round. This comes on the heels of 3-4 defenses winning the last three Super Bowls.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/011307dnspogosselin.32b0b83.html
    Dallas MN writer Rick Gosselin has a good article about the success of the 3-4
    featuring the Cowboys and the short-comings of their personnel.
    Dom Capers seemed to have much of the same difficulties here in fielding a LB corp that could produce consistant pressure on the QB.
    I dunno why he and assistant Fangio could never get it right ?

2. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

If half the teams in the playoffs have a 3-4 defense, then that must mean the other half are using the 4-3. 6 and 6, whoopty go.

The 3-4 doesn't work for everyone. People gotta stop trying to copy the Patriots.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

He means that half of the teams using a 3-4 are in the playoffs (still). There's no denying that the 3-4, when used with the right personnel and done right, can be successful, but I still prefer the 4-3. This same argument could have been made for 4-3 teams at times in the past and they are both good Ds. I just think that it's easier and less risky looking for the right personnel to run a good 4-3. The obvious example is trying to figure out which of all those college DEs would make a good LB in an NFL 3-4.

10-4. I'm out.