Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Gunners

Mistril48

Rookie
Does anyone know how the Texans are handling the gunner position in mini-camp. We have two excellent gunners in Bell and Vaughan, but it may be hard to keep them both as the roster develops. I would think we will be trying to fit a lot of players into the defensive secondary mix (Robinson, Earl, Lord, Faggins, Walker, etc ...) and we will need adequate gunners if we can't keep both Bell and Vaughan.

Some boards are talking about whether we will keep Kenny Wright and Jason Simmons. I'm sure we won't be able to keep many of Wright, Simmons, Bell and Vaughan.

Special Teams will win some games for us.

Earl being a hard hitter could be a gunner and anyone else who wants to make the roster could fill that spot. Not a hard position to fill because it's based on attitude. All gunners do is open the lanes for everyone else to make the tackle. They look good because they are often the first ones to the ball. However they often don't make the tackle. I believe that gunner is the least of the Texans worries this year. Plus Gunner is the most fun position on the field. Everone like to run full force and level as many blockers as possiable.

done88 said:
Not a hard position to fill because it's based on attitude. All gunners do is open the lanes for everyone else to make the tackle. They look good because they are often the first ones to the ball. However they often don't make the tackle. I believe that gunner is the least of the Texans worries this year. Plus Gunner is the most fun position on the field. Everone like to run full force and level as many blockers as possiable.

I'm confused. Perhaps I've used the wrong expression. I thought the gunners were the outside contain guys on the coverage teams and that Bell and Vaughn were the starters. I thought they had to break a double team, run like a gazelle, breakdown as they approach the returner and maintain contain. How is that easy?

I guess I'm interested in gunners (if that's the right expression) because I think we have good one's and I think it will be difficult to keep them on the roster as we develop guys like Faggins, Ramon Walker, Glen Earl and Jamaal Lord. I don't think we can predict the final secondary positions if we know we've got the gunners covered.

You are pretty much right on Mistril. I don't think many of us really know how they will pan out at this time. Lord seems very physical and if he is going to earn a roster spot this is the kind of role he may serve. If not he will likely find himself on the practice squad. Faggins looks to be our 3rd CB imo, so I doubt he is a gunner. From what I understand about Earl he isn't going to be ready. I think Done is talking about wedge-busters.

Back