Gruden taking over for Kornheiser on MNF

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, May 18, 2009.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Nice. This is an upgrade just in print.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174469

2. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

I like this.

One question though...

Is a 7 second delay actually going to be long enough?

3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Should be fun to watch. I also like him not getting a job, because if we do regress, I want him avaliable as a potential canidate. But, that aint happening.:texflag:

4. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

No freaking way do I want Gruden as a candidate for a Texans job. That guy is way to QB happy for my tastes.

This is a great move though for MNF. Sweet!! No more Kornhole on my tv anymore. I freaking hate that guy. He's by far the most annoying analyst on tv in my opinion, and I have always failed to see what he brings in any way.

5. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

This is good news. I actually don't mind TK on PTI - but as analyst, he's worse than Dennis Miller. I'm also not a huge Mike Tirico guy, but he does okay. Jaws IMO is the best part of that team. I think he's great during games and in the studio for the NFL shows.

Gruden's choice comes as kind of a surprise, but I'll take anyone but TK on MNF. Addition by subtraction.

(Really, I think one of the big problems with the crew is that they insist on having three people. There's no sport that needs three people in the booth. That's ridiculous.)

6. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Agree on Gruden. I like him and he's a fun coach to watch, but I don't want him near the Texans. I love his fire and intensity, but the bottom line is - his players in TB hated him and eventually that leads to players not playing as hard as they should. I don't think his personality would mesh well with our current players.

7. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

Kornholio is no more:kingkong: Bryant Gumbel might of been an improvement.....uh I take that back. Why would someone say we would be in the market for a coach.........:gun:

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Thank goodness, no more Kornhole. Gruden's a character and I think he'll be a nice addition to MNF.

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I said IF we digress, not that we will. If we win 5 games, we will be in the market for a new coach. IF.

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah, I like watching him on the sidelines as well. I liked him a lot while he was in Oakland, and would have loved to have had him back then, but not after what I saw in Tampa these last few seasons. Like you say, his players hated his ass. At first Keyshawn Johnson used to talk about it and everyone just thought Keyshawn was being typical Keyshawn but there was obviously some truth to some of the stuff keyshawn was saying. It seemed like every player that ended up leaving the bucs said that they hated playing for Gruden. I never saw any team or coach have any problem with Garcia ever, and Gruden flat out threw him into the garbage when he was playing pretty well for them without any Elite WR's.

I think he'll be a fantastic addition for MNF though.

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I've watched some of Gruden's work on NFL Network and he seemed a bit out of his element. You know he has a wealth of knowledge about the game though so if that comes out in the broadcasts it should work out alright. For the most part I don't get too involved in the broadcast, good football is good football. If the game is exciting or the Texans are involved I enjoy it regardless, if the game sucks no amount of talking from the broadcasters is going to make it much more interesting to me.

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Gruden likes the Texans a lot can't wait for our MNF game

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Well, with quotes from Kornbutter like:
    and:
    ...how could you want him back? PTI is one thing, knowing enough about football to interject any sort of wit is another....

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yes! Finally got that gasbag & his terrible comb over off the broadcast. Now we can finally get some real football talk with jaws & chucky.

15. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Anything that gets Tony K out of the booth is good in my book. Jon Gruden will be great IMO. I'm not a big fan of 3 in the booth, but MNF just got better so I'm not complaining.

AwfulAnnouncing had some interesting words on the subject....

16. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Excellent move. Love Tony on PTI, but not on MNF. Gruden was pretty good while working on the Draft, IMO.

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Addition by subtraction.

I don't see why we'd want him as a coach even IF Kubiak lost the team this year.

Gruden did a good job in Oakland but looking at how QB infatuated he became after leaving I can't help but wonder how much of his success in Oakland came on the coat tails of Rich Gannon. Other then his first year winning the SB with Dungy's team he proved to be a mediocre coach. He also looked like he couldn't develop talent on the team especially at QB.

All that said he's a huge upgrade on MNF. Don't know if he'll stay but it's nice to see the talking heads behind MNF look outside the analyst toilet for once and bring in a guy who at least knows some X's and O's.

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

ABK. Anyone but Konheiser.

This is turning into a great offseason for NFL broadcasts, IMO. No more John Madden. No more Kornheiser. If CBS would just can Steve Tasker, I'd be one very, very happy NFL fan.

19. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Thank God, Kornholer is gone!

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    On 610 they said one of the reasons T-Korn stepped down was "fear of flying"....

....as if that guy could get any weaker....