Grossman Wins #2 Spot

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Per Scurf

2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I wonder how King got this info early...or he is just saying he thinks he beat him out

From MMQB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/06/mmqb/2.html

3. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

That's an awful lot of money for a #3.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

I guess I need to apologize for laughing at LZ when he said Grossman looked better than Dan AND Matt back in training camp.

Watching the Bucs preseason game, Grossman was decisive and accurate.

Dan is shaky and indecisive.

What a story this is.

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That contract for Orlovsky looks pretty bad right now... Shoot.

Grossman is an up and down player, sometimes you get a very good QB, and other times you get a high school player. That makes for a risky backup.

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'm glad to see a player get a job based on performance instead of his draft position or the size of his contract.

Call me crazy, but I think Kubes just might be able to help Grossman become a successful starter.

7. Vinny

actually, that makes for a back up. If he was more consistent he would be a starter somewhere.

beerlover likes this.
  8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Rex impressed me on the field. Danny O simply has potential, a great arm and Kubes saying he can coach him up. If the back up QBs contracts were reversed, I would not be complaining as Grossman looked damn good Friday. If he is gone next year and he might not be, O. should be a much stronger QB going into next season. Schaub could be out quite a bit this season (heaven forbid) & both back ups could get field time.

9. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Word!

I was worried that "The Big O" would get the second spot because of the contract. I think this sends a very good message to the entire team: No job is a given, and hard work will be rewarded!

Porky likes this.
  10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm not suprised at this, it's fairly obvious who was the better QB. Grossman won't be here next year though if he plays well this season, because we will have to give him more than what's he's making now. There are other teams that will pick him up and pay him more. DanO will be here next year, and will be a much better QB after a year of coaching up.

At least that's how I see it right now. In December this year, we'll all be singing different tunes on just about everything we've said so far in these threads. LOL

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The thing I always liked about Grossman, even with the Bears, is that he gave their offense a chance to be explosive. He made mistakes and some clunkers but he also caught fire. I think with a back-up you don't necessarily want a guy to lose a game but you don't want a guy who is afraid and who just hands it off. I think Grossman has been in enough games where he can do what is needed to win games.

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Basically the Texans are completely screwed this year if Schaub goes down.

Grossman is just gross.

13. Vinny

Why do we give such big contracts to guys on spec so often? It's like we are bi polar. We either sign a "proven" guy way past his prime or we sign a guy on pure speculation that he can do something here that he couldn't do elsewhere.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

There you go again trying to use common sense and logic... sheesh. :photos:

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Dont forget that we won't resign our own proven talent in order to make a point

16. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I would rather have an average QB that is consistent, game after game. With backups you just want a guy who can manage the game, someone who can step in for a game or two (or in Schaub's case, 5 or 6) and the offense can still function. Grossman is hit or miss.

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Exactly. Good Rex like we saw much of the other night is the guy who kept the fans in Chicago thinking that he was almost there but sooner or later Bad Rex would come around and just stink the place up. I think the only question (and it's not much of one really, a thin thread at this point) is whether he's had the coaching he needs. Now that's the same thing we hear about Orlovsky too but with Dan the possibility that he can get better and be coached up is much more likely. Still, maybe Grossman just needed proper coaching to get better. Plummer went to Denver and got better so maybe by the end of the season we're trying to re-sign Grossman and Orlovsky, well I don't know what we do then.

And there I go falling for a good game from Rex Grossman. That's how it starts and the next thing you know he's been around for a couple of years and you're starting to think "This isn't going to change is it?" You would think after David Carr I'd know better.

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The nice thing about having him as a backup is that you can coach him up just enough to show flashes of "good rex" and then trade him while his stock is high. After Kubiak was able to turn FA signing Sage into a 4th rounder, I think he got excited and is ready to do it again with Dano and Rex

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

maybe its to showcase where he's @ this stage in his career to shop him around the league for another 4th rounder :barman:

All it takes is for one or two QB's to go down (excluding Schaub or course) & teams could line up in a bidding war (one only hopes). In this case I think it was a prudent move on Kubiaks part to keep three QB's for a change :bender:

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I guess DanO is feeling pretty awesome right about now. His contract might be on the big side of dumb but adding that Grossman is making as little as a veteran can possibly make kind of evens it out. In my mind anyway...

As good of a game as Rex had don't forget his first performance was one of injury and a terrible deep throw. And getting yanked. I don't pretend for one second that Grossman has this spot on lockdown, just that right now if Matt is unavailable it's Grossman. DanO still has the rest of that contract with Kubiak, I think he'll be a fine player with more exposure to non-Lion coaching.