Grossman Benched??

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by The Dude Abides, Dec 24, 2006.

1. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

I'm looking at the box score and Griese(sp?) is in there now. Anyone know what the deal is? Did he get hurt or yanked?

2. refs_wife

refs_wife Rookie

Grossman has been a giant question mark at times.
    Lovie has been telling him for two weeks that he would bench him if things didn't start to turn around.
    I haven't heard that he was injured.
    Rex, is simply too inconsistent to be the starting QB going into the playoffs.

Luv_ya_blue and The Dude Abides like this.
  3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

According to Lovie, he had planned to play Griese in the late 3 or early 4th whether Gossman was doing well or not. Might be some sort of strategy to get the backup ready for the playoffs in case the starter goes down, or could be just plain old BS. Your pick.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

nah, i'm guessing he planned this all along. they have eveything clinched, if the game mattered, grossman would've stayed in.

5. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

That is what I thought when I heard it.

6. refs_wife

refs_wife Rookie

ESPN just said that Lovie was planning to get Griese some snaps no matter what, today.
    FWIW

Whew, that was a close one.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Could be a good idea. I would like Chicago to do well in the playoffs...I just don't see the Defense bailing him out every game against the elite teams. Also don't see Indy advances to far with that run D for that matter.

8. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Yup the plan was that Griese was supposed to get most of the snaps in the second half. I heard this before the game so it's not just Lovie covering for Rex. If anything Rex played longer than expected as I don't think Griese went in until the 4th quarter.

9. Drager

Drager Rookie

I'm sure Lovie Smith just wanted his backup to get some reps before the playoffs started just in case. Also, why risk Grossman getting hurt in the 4th Q of a game that doesn't matter?
    Being a guy that just doesn't trust Grossman, I'm glad Griese's getting some reps. I thought he should've been starting when Grossman was playing like crap. I just want the Bears to win. But since they lost Mike Brown, the defense has struggled. They've struggled even more now that Tommie Harris is gone. Doesn't look too good.