Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gridiron Tactics

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I thought it would be a good idea to get to the nitty gritty on some of the more advanced tactics and methods in football.
I know myself that I would like to know the game even better and have learned heaps from many of you in here.0
I do have some contributions of my own and myself, I like to study the ground game.
One of the key thoughts I have not seen expressed in here very much about the reasoning behind why the ground game is so important is that it can nullify the effects of a pass rush - especially if the opponent only has one or two effective rushers.
This is is because the QB can set his offense so as to block those guys and then rush that gap or that side.
The best D lines have effective guys all along the line so this then makes it harder to create running lanes.
If your opponent likes to rush from the edges, then you can attempt to find an advantage up the gut - nullifying those edge rushers so rushing the A gap then becomes a key tactic.
If you have particularly good blocking on one side, usually you will attempt to establish the run there - or wherever you detect a weakness. The defense will compensate by concentrating their defense there so it's a cat and mouse game.
If the defense has a guy like Aaron Donald, they can move him around to create an advantage wherever he lines up.
This is where JJ used to be so good for us.
You can usually see a weaker Dline being exploited by teams with a good ground game - Texans usually get exploited!
If you have some insights to the game that the average Joe may not have, please feel free to share!

Last edited:
I think a lot of what you’re saying is true.

But just listening to our responses of our run game the most common critique has been about the lack of physicality.

& I definitely see it. Especially at the 2nd level. The OLmen seem to be content with “getting in the way.” They need to be actively moving people out of the way.

I think a lot of what you’re saying is true.

But just listening to our responses of our run game the most common critique has been about the lack of physicality.

& I definitely see it. Especially at the 2nd level. The OLmen seem to be content with “getting in the way.” They need to be actively moving people out of the way.
I remember a few weeks ago we saw one particularly good run Texans had - and it was created by one of the OL getting down field and making an effective block there.
Can't remember who it was but I made a comment at the time that I had waited a long time to see a down field block like that by the Texans - they are few and far between.
Great point btw

Unrelated to the running game topic, I've wondered about the following scenario.

On offense, a team comes out in 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR).

Theoretically, most defenses should respond with their base package most of the time, I'm assuming. Either 4-3 or 3-4.

So how would most defenses react if the offense split both TE out wide to each side with a WR inside them in a 4 wide formation?

In man coverage, who is responsible for the TE?
Should be the safeties, or possibly the corners, but in either case you should have one of the following mismatches.

TE being covered by safeties, meaning inside WR have 1 on 1 with corners.
Or corners taking TE, and outside LBs taking slot WR with safety help?

I'm not sure, so that's my question.

How does a defense respond initially to the 12 personnel package, then how does that defensive package respond if TE split wide as described?

I hoped that description is clearer than the mud it feels like. Thanks

Depends on if it’s man or zone, if it’s a run down or obvious passing situation.

But generally speaking I think from a base defense in man coverage, it could be a LB on the TE split wide expecting help from the safety over the top.

But Jalen Ramsey will guard the best receiver on the field even if he’s a TE.

& just because he’s a TE, he isn’t automatically a mismatch on anyone. He might be stronger than a safety, but not always. He might be more agile or faster than a LB, but not always. He might be bigger than a CB, but not always.

Every now & then you have one guy who is bigger, faster, & stronger than any LB, safety, or CB…. Like Kelce or Gronk.

Back