Gregg Williams will not be our next HC

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DerekLee1, Dec 6, 2009.

1. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Cowher wants the Carolina job, and he'll bide his time until it happens and use us as leverage . Gregg Williams is a defensive guru, has some experience behind some GREAT coaches, he learned from a failed first try (see: Bill Belichick), has Houston ties, and would likely keep Kyle Shanahan on - assuming that he doesn't bolt to go coach with his dad somewherep. The knock on him in Buffalo was his conservatism, but I don't think it will be like that the second time around again. He's coaching under one of the smartest and ballsiest playcalling coaches in the NFL right now, and has turned the Saints' defense from worst to (almost) first. He also runs a 4-3, meaning a massive personnel overhaul would not be necessary.

In fact, I'm thinking he may be my TOP preference, even if Cowher WERE available and interested.

2. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Top choice over Cowher? No.

I'm on the fence about Williams. I really think we need a proven, successful guy who has been a SUCCESSFUL head coach before.

Williams, for the most part, will be starting over, yes?

3. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I think McNair would keep Kubes on before he made that move. The only move I see is McNair making a big splash, he will be going for the biggest names out there.

After seeing his face after the Indy game, I think he's ready to write a check.

4. treduke

treduke All Pro

gregg williams
    good dc
    horrible coach

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Williams burnt alot of bridges in his last HC stint. I dont see him getting another shot anytime soon despite how good a coordinator he is. I dont know why but I truley believe Cowher is our next HC.

I wouldnt be apposed to Shawn McDorment (sp?) though.

6. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

How many people said that about Belichick after he was fired from Cleveland?

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Gregg Williams would work for me.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

like it or not and I am probably wrong but

way this team's offense is built I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Shanahan gets a serious look

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Put the beer, alcoholic beverage or pipe away.

Seriously you'd want a guy whose best team topped out at 8-8 as opposed to a guy whose lead his team to two Super Bowls and won one?

If I'm Gregg Williams unless I really wanted to be a HC again why would you leave a place that you are in a great position to succeed?

10. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

And how many people said it after other coaches got fired from their first job, and it was completely true?

11. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Bill Belichick's record in Cleveland was 36-44. Capers was a "proven winner" from when he was in Carolina. How'd that work out for ya?

12. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Dom Capers sucked as a HC, and he's now leading the #1 defense in the
    NFL. Just sayin...

13. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

How many that were fired went on to be great coordinators again? Not many.

14. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

Maybe we can pay him in tanning lotion and a tanning bed.

15. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'd be good with Williams too.

He brought one hell of an attitude change to the New Orleans D. Just what we need here.

16. treduke

treduke All Pro

yeah but the hoodie did lead them to the playoffs and in his defense was the coach during the lame duck season before the browns moved! since you like defense how about taking a look at leslie frazier the vikings dc
    if we dont get cowher or another coach we should'nt go with some re-tread
    who had his shot! if this thing is gonna get blown up at least go with some new blood
    good day sir

17. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

The way you feel about Williams is how I felt about Capers before we hired him. I really thought he would be a good HC despite what happened to him in Carolina.

Williams has Bud Adams stench on him so I think I will pass.

18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

This week's column is dedicated to Buffalo Bills Head Coach Greg Williams, who has guided his team to an absolutely horrendous 1-10 record.

Though this is Greg Williams' first year as the Buffalo Bills head coach, he should be immediately dismissed from his duties. He has single-handily turned this once-proud franchise into one of the biggest laughing stocks in the entire NFL.

When hired to lead the Bills this season, Williams spoke about having a playoff-caliber team. He spoke about how solid his defensive unit was. In fact, he told anybody who would listen that this defense would end up breaking the sack record.(Actually Greg, you have to get pressure on the quarterback first, before you are actually credited with a sack). He talked about how impressive QB Rob Johnson looked and how quickly he had learned the West Coast offense.

Well Greg, it would appear that you had absolutely no idea what kind of team you were taking over. The defense was over-hauled during the off-season, losing many quality players to free agency. Your quarterback, who you told the media had quickly learned the new West Coast offense, struggled every single week in that offense, only for you to then acknowledge that it might take him several months to fully understand and fully grasp just exactly everything there is to know about the new schemes implemented.

Not once have I ever heard Mr. Williams put the blame on his shoulders after a loss, and trust me when I tell you, when you are 1-10, you have plenty of opportunities to do so.

Greg Williams, you have no business coaching in the NFL. You surrounded yourself with assistant coaches who knew nothing about the game of football. You made sure that you looked like the most knowledgeable person in the front office, and that was a huge mistake. A good coach surrounds himself with people who he feels are more knowledgeable then he. That way you can learn from them as much as they can learn from you.

You certainly have made everybody aware that this is your team. You have rid yourself of the players you didn't like or didn't fit into your plans. After it's all said and done Greg, you have shown that, without a doubt, you are a FEW TOMATO'S SHORT OF A THICK SAUCE.

Sound familiar? :spin: No thanks.

19. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

I rather give Vikings D Coord. Leslie Frazier a shot. The last D Coord. from Minnesota(Mike Tomlin) worked out well.

20. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I want Tony Dungy