Gregg Williams for DC

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DocBar, Jan 26, 2008.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I just saw that Gregg Williams was released as Defensive Coordinator of the Redskins. I know he likes the 34 defense he learned under Buddy Ryan, but I bet he could make one helluva improvement over our present DC and you don't spend as much time as he has in the NFL and NOT understand the 4-3 and how to make it succesful. What do you guys think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Williams

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The Jags and Rams have beaten you to the punch.........they've already sought permission to interview........

3. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Why do you need permission to interview someone who's unemployed? Besides, he has deep Houston roots....

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

As cool as it would be, I think that I would rather stay in a 4-3 like we have. I think going back and changing the entire scheme will regress all of the progresss we have made.

On the other hand, this is hilarious, as it looks like the Redskins and the Raiders are going to be the laughing stocks of the league.

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I will be POed if we even considered a 3-4.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is why:

7. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

the skins run a 4-3??

8. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

He isn't a perfect fit but he would bring more experience and success to the table than Richard Smith has. With the Rhodes hiring, its pretty obvious that we are stuck errrrr set with Richard Smith as our DC in 08.

9. GP

GP Go Texans!

Didn't the story also speak of his personality and how it works well with fans, but not so great within the team itself?

Kubiak seems to be a "No Drama Allowed" sort of person.

[sarcasm] We already have the best DC in the league anyways [/sarcasm]

:fans:

P.S. Can we find or create a smiley that wears an army helmet, and the guy is going bonkers with energy and enthusiasm?

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

You guys are too funny. Wake me when you actually get Smith out the door.

will agree, fwiiw, the only coach you will see infront of a microphone is Kubiak. That is by design. Many chiefs on the vessel. Only one captian. The Captain tells the chiefs where to stear the boat. I get it. :thinking:

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

tell that to Lane Kiffen :winky:

we are spoiled to have such great ownership, whats transpiring in Oakland makes me sick to my stomach. Al Davis is a complete, total :worm: & yes Richard is going nowhere soon, he is getting a shot in the arm w/Rhodes :)

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That's the 46 or "Bears" defense.

13. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

If they think Richard Smith deserves another year than so do I. When we originally hired smith I was happy with the hire because he had shown a willingness to be aggressive on defense.. and im sure that willingness is still there.

By surrounding him with more experience and knowledge (Rhodes) I think we may see more of the kind of defense that I originally was hoping Smith would run (AGGRESSIVE!).. I think that added knowledge will give Smith more ideas and help with how to run it properly (meaning.. without opening ourselves up to huge plays).

14. Second Honeymoon

This apologist attitude towards Smith smacks of the same excuse laden apologist attitude during the final years of David Carr. No one held him accountable until it was too late and it was blatantly obvious the guy sucked. Seems like some are taking the same position towards Richard Smith.

Adding Rhodes may help but until we get a decent DC, don't expect a whole lot out of that unit. Richard Smith sucks.....period, and just because Texans brass is too proud or niiiiiice to do something about it doesn't mean things are going to be fine. This is a results oriented business and people need to be held accountable and continuing to make excuses or rationalizations is the same damn thing that happened during Carr's meteoric fall to All-Time Biggest Bust status. Do we really want to throw another year away with Smith as DC? No more excuses.....We want results.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Agree'd , The Texans have spent too much money and Three 1st round picks on personell to fit the 4-3 in Mario Williams , Amobe and Travis Johnson . None of dwhich I see working out well in the 3-4 . That would be taking one hell of a step back .:gun:

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

To be aggressive you first have to have DB's who can cover .... The injuries in the secondary havent helped .

The other thing this team needs is a LB or DB who is a real threat to get to the QB ..... Im not sure that person is on the roster .

17. Second Honeymoon

People do realize that Gregg Williams has run 4-3 defenses before, right? Didn't they even run a 4-3 when he was head coach at Buffalo?

18. GP

GP Go Texans!

Post of the year.

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Yes, Williams has always run a base 4-3 defense. He has also incorporated the 46 defense, which is run with 4-3 base personnel.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

To each his own, I guess. I thought the post sucked. Blew chunks as a matter of fact. Dude can't get past David Carr.