Greg Peshek: DT/DL Metrics

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Playoffs, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Peshek: DT Metrics 1.0

2. Playoffs

Peshek: Edge Rushers 1.0
    Gotta read it to get it.

3. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

So Clowney was double teamed on 9% of his rushes and chipped on 16% for a total of 25% facing an extra blocker.

Listening to some on this board, I would expect those numbers to much higher. I expected closer to 100% actually. It doesn't mention triple teams though so that must be where the disparity comes in.

4. Playoffs

I asked Greg why he didn't parse plays like Stephen White did in his piece, removing screens and most quick dropbacks. He said it would be 1)too much work and 2)outside of his expertise to gauge "legitimate pass rush opportunities". I think Lawrence's numbers would be improved.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Then why even do this? If you're going to leave out important variables it's a waste of time.

6. Playoffs

You can "if" yourself to death with metrics parameters, ending up paralyzed and unproductive. Greg chooses what he sees as the more objective path to produce informative metrics, and he does a good job. An NFL position coach's metrics would look vastly different, as would an under-informed part time football fan's. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

What you do get is comparative feel, although the numbers might not be absolute, and some more unique statistics.

7. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

I've heard this more often from Clowney detractors than supporters, ironically. :P It also only accounts for pass-rushing downs, so it leaves out running downs.