Greg Cosell 2013 draft thread

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Playoffs, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

NFL Films' and The Shutdown Corner's Greg Cosell is a highly respected talent evaluator who is not afraid to not follow the usual draftnik crowd, so I thought a thread on his insights was needed.

Cosell's latest:

His top rated QB in this admittedly weak draft is ..... Ryan Nassib, Syracuse.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Not feeling the Ryan Nassib love. Looks like a backup QB to me. Maybe I'm just down on QBs out of West Chester, PA right now.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I think Cosell is "out of whack".

4. Playoffs

The Shutdown Corner draft podcast with Greg Cosell: Evaluating the WR/TE class

On Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson: "Patterson will be drafted high solely because of his size, and his dynamic movement. I don't think he's anywhere close to being a quality receiver in terms of the subtleties of how to run routes. In fact, he's so much quicker and more dynamic with the ball in his hands, as opposed to running routes. Running routes, he's not that dynamic, because he doesn't know how to do it yet. He needs to go to a team with a very good receivers coach, and he needs to be taught how to become a receiver."

On West Virginia WR Tavon Austin: "He may be one of my favorite players in this draft, and I spent a lot of time talking about this on Twitter the other day. I would select this kid in the top 10 or 12 in the draft, and I think that this is where the league is going. I wrote about this in my last column on Shutdown Corner. The NFL has now become a passing space league in many ways, and the conventional concepts of how to use receivers -- that's a little old-school. I think Tavon Austin fits where this league is going."

On Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins: "To me, what stood out -- I think he has excellent hands. He has a great ability to snatch the ball away from his body, and great body control. He's a very competitive guy with the ball in the air. I think he's a little straight-line in his movement, but very strong hands, and deceptive speed. I wouldn't call him a burner, but he has deceptive speed. Guys like this -- he'll obviously play in the league, and he might be very good, but he's not what I would call a smooth, fluid guy."

On Cal WR Keenan Allen: "He's a smoother accelerator than Hopkins. He's got deceptive vertical speed. Again, not a burner, but a smoother, quicker guy. What I really liked when watching him is that he's very compact in his vertical stem -- every route looked the same. I remember talking with cornerbacks years ago, when they played against Jimmy Smith, the old Jaguars receiver, who was really good. They would say that about him, and how he was so tough to defend because of that."

5. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

On these receivers, I do see it the same way Cosell does.

It doesn't mean that I would take Austin over Patterson.
    If I run a spread offense, I might take Austin over Keenan, though that's not a sure thing either.

6. Playoffs

Prelude piece to draft evaluations of 2013 Safeties...

Cosell’s Take: The safety switch, Part 1

7. Playoffs

Cosell’s Take: The safety switch, Part 2

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Nothing new here.
    Quin has been playing that position for us.

In the regular line-up and in the nickel package, he mostly play SS, and often comes down in the box as the Rover.

When we go with the dime package, another LB is taken out (replaced by a third safety - Demps/Keo). Quin mostly align in the position of the LB being replaced.

9. Playoffs

The ‘Cosell Doctorine’, Part 1: Wild-card receivers set the tone more than ever

10. Playoffs

The ‘Cosell Doctorine,’ Pt. 2: Ranking the receivers is an impossible task

11. Playoffs

Cosell hates mock drafts, as he only rates players versus guessing picks. But they make him do one, and here it is. Makes for a good first round draft guide by someone who bases his opinions only on film study:

12. Playoffs

con't

13. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    That kinda makes my ears red! The more I read and YouTube this guy he's slowly making my DeAndre Hopkins want go away. If he can stay healthy, why not?

I know a lot of folks were high on him from the git-go. It's taken me a while to come around.

Does everyone who liked him early-on still like him as much? (did that make sense?)

14. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I still do. While I dont think his upside is as high as some of the other receivers, I think his floor is much higher. Very safe pick (with the caveat being "if he stays healthy).

Just counting the guys in first round consideration (Hunter, Patterson, Austin, Allen, Woods, Hopkins)-

Ranked by Potential:
    Patterson
    Hunter
    Austin
    Hopkins
    Allen
    Woods

Ranked by Floor:
    Allen
    Woods
    Hopkins
    Austin
    Hunter
    Patterson

Obviously, JMO

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Iffy for me now; I'm not as high on him as before.
    For a guy who hardly ran a deep route, I needed to see how he runs, but there's no information out there.