Great, serious article on Vince Young

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gtexan02, Sep 11, 2008.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Theres a place for jokes, and theres a place for serious discussion. Lets not ruin this thread. This guy wrote a pretty interesting read on Vince Young, that is FILLED with controversial stuff. I wonder what you guys think:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8550254?MSNHPHMA

. . . . .

ESAD2-14 and SeƱor Stan like this.
  2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Whitlock was on Rome yesterday and said that he was writing this article. Very informative.

All rivalry and joking aside, I do hope that VY gets his head together. I hate to see a guy with so much talent and potential lose his mind, especially given how much of a role model he is to so many young people.

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Jason Whitlock is spot on.

He's still gonna get called an Uncle Tom, but he's calling it like it is.

Vince Young is doomed.

4. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

The question is: What do Titan fans do when he takes the field in a month? Boo him again? Cheer even if they don't really mean it? Sticky situation.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

From what I gather, VY is going to have to earn their support back through hard work and dedication off the field and actual good performance on. Once the crowd turns, you know from our own experiences how divided a fan base can become over a QB.

Based upon what little evidence we can glean, the question is whether VY has the heart and desire to make that dedication and deal with the criticism that will come from all angles.

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I know, its a tough decision. But theres no way you can expect 50,000 people to give a bad QB "Love and Support"

7. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

I have found Jason Whitlock to be very good in print (ESPN, not so much). He's written some of the best stuff I've read this year by far. He wrote one on Michael Vick I found to be incredibly interesting at a time when I was tired of hearing about the whole thing. This is yet another interesting read.

8. False Start

False Start On # 69

Great read,thanks for the link.

9. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Thanks for the article. Whitlock has always been one to say what he thinks and not follow the herd.

Titanville has been bad enough but can you imagine the shit-storm from the fans if VY played in Philly or New York?

ESAD2-14 likes this.
  10. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

Straight to the point article and not a lot of PC fluff, we need more of this type of writing. Although I do not always agree with Jason Whitlock's perspectives I think he was spot on with this one.

He is also pretty good on Rome when he guest hosts the show every now and then. It's much easier to listen to Whitlock then Jim Rome in my opinion.

Thanks for posting it as well.

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

It's easier to listen to a flock of squawking birds than to listen to Jim Rome.

Good article

ESAD2-14 likes this.
  12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

Rome is so much better when he's offscript. which is 5% of the show

anyway, back to Young

13. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

Jason Whitlock is a great sports writer and isn't afraid to touch on subjects that will lead to people calling him stuff like "Uncle Tom."

I think he's pretty spot on in his assessment of VY and his lack of a true mental and emotional support structure that leads to some toughness and an ability to navigate his way through the challenging spots that a career in the NFL is going to bring. I also personally think that VY lacks an aptitude for the game above and beyond his pure althetism. Nor do I think he's committed to really studying and learning the game and schemes his coaches need him to learn. When you're naturally talented at something, you can fall into an attitude of not needing to practice or re-learn certain tendancies because you believe sheer talent alone can overcome shortcomings. People can balk at the suggestion that you NEED to practice in order to get better and hone your skills. You get cocky, especially if you have a track record of winning and everyone around you never questions your ability or committment to putting in the work to get better.

I don't think VY will be successful in this league either, and my cursory opinion of this was formed by comparing him to Mike Vick. Now, with all this other stuff coming to light, I tend to think this even more strongly. I don't wish ill on the guy, but some folks just don't "get" what they need to do to get around in the world on their own, with confidence and intelligence.