Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Great Quarterbacks

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I was just reading up on tomorrows HOF game and the addition of Elway to the HOF. I guess this year will give us a clue as to whether or not Carr has what it takes to become a great quarterback. idonno:

cuppacoffee said:
I guess this year will give us a clue as to whether or not Carr has what it takes to become a great quarterback. idonno:

If you, (and others) think that just because Carr was the first pick in the draft, that gives you 'expectations' that Carr should become the next John Elway, well . . get ready for disappointment.

I know it's going to come as a complete and utter shock to some of the Carr critics around here, but the Texans don't need a great QB to go to the Super Bowl. The Carolina Panthers and the Baltimore Ravens have shown that you really don't need a good one. All you really need is a good overall football team.

Lower your standards and broaden your focus.

David doesn't have to have a breakout or great year this year. He just needs ot have a solid, constructive year. He's already shown some of the things that make John Elway type quarterbacks...toughness and leadership. It's just a question of whether or not he can play with and beat the best. A question that doesn't need to be answered this year...he just needs to show that he has what it takes to play in the NFL and win in the NFL. I'm sure all he is focussed on this season is winning. After he has established that he can win, then he'll worry about being a Hall of Fame type quarterback.

I agree w/Marcus, i'll take a Super Bowl team(like Baltimore & Carolina) over a team thats full of 'superstars' that don't get too far.

As a former Missouri resident and Chiefs fan from many years back, can only marvel at the variety of ways and # of times Elway beat the Chiefs, and the Raiders, and the Chargers, and the Browns, etc. He is arguably the NFLs greatest offensive player of our time ! No, we don't have to worry
'bout Carr getting into this kinda territory anytime soon. David just has to have a solid, consistant season. He needs to have a D that won't leave him in the position of having to throw on most downs 'cause they give up a ton of points by halftime and he needs an O line to give him some time to throw with some deliberation when he chooses to throw.

This thread is evidence of just how important "winning the big one" really is.

Signed

Dan Marino
Fran Tarkenton
Jim Kelly
Warren Moon
Steve McNair (probably)

Elway was on the same track as some of these guys until they changed the uni's.

I think when it's all said and done, David Carr will have had a career more like Bert Jones' than John Elway's.

nunusguy said:
David just has to have a solid, consistant season.

I think the consistency is the key to DC's continued development. He has shown us flashes of brilliance in the first two seasons, and has of course, shown us some typical young quarterback mistakes. I think an improved O-Line and a more consistent running attack will allow him to take the next step in becoming a star in this league. If he can improve completion percentage and cut down is INT/TD ratio, given the full compliment of weapons we now have on the offensive side of the ball, the Texans should rank far better statistically in '04 than the 31st we showed last year.

I've seen courage and leadership and flashes of very-goodness. I can't say I've seen any evidence of brilliance.

I think it's going to take a while for this o-line to gel. Three of the five linemen are either new or playing a new position. The blocking scheme is very new to all. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans offense gets off to a very slow start....and people will blame Palmer for whatever goes wrong.

aj. said:
I think when it's all said and done, David Carr will have had a career more like Bert Jones' than John Elway's.

I sincerely hope you meant that as a compliment. I really enjoyed watching Bert Jones play. If it weren't for the separated shoulder, and the spinal injury that forced him to retire, I feel certain that he would have made it to the Hall in Canton.

And speaking of Bert Jones, I recall that his favorite target to throw to, was someone named Roger Carr. That wouldn't be someone's daddy that's growing his hair long these days, would it? :cute:

Different Roger Carr.

I don't know why but when I watch David Carr I see a little bit of Bert Jones. It wasn't a compliment or a criticism. It's kind of the way I see Carr today and on the upside it's the type of QB I can see him becoming. A good QB, but definitely a notch or two below the best.

Jones wasn't on track to be a HOF'er in my book although he had three or four very good years before the injury problems (his back, right?). From what I recall, he also had that same playoff problem that Warren Moon had (inability to win in the playoffs) and if I recall correctly that was largely due to the Steelers and Raiders factor in the mid 70's.

aj. said:
Different Roger Carr.

I don't know why but when I watch David Carr I see a little bit of Bert Jones. It wasn't a compliment or a criticism. It's kind of the way I see Carr today and on the upside it's the type of QB I can see him becoming. A good QB, but definitely a notch or two below the best.

Jones wasn't on track to be a HOF'er in my book although he had three or four very good years before the injury problems (his back, right?). From what I recall, he also had that same playoff problem that Warren Moon had (inability to win in the playoffs) and if I recall correctly that was largely due to the Steelers and Raiders factor in the mid 70's.

Talk about flashbacks :idea: wow Bert Jones, good comparison except I think that David Carr is far more athletic, better wheels & overall stronger.
OK well they both know about being sacked David Carr holds the NFL season record for the most sacks and Bert Jones is no slouch either- October 26
1980 -- Baltimore quarterback Bert Jones is sacked a record 12 times in a 17-10 loss to St. Louis. Houston quarterback Warren Moon would equal the mark on Sept. 29, 1985 at Dallas.

:headbang:

Back