Great Mario Williams piece

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by b0ng, Jun 28, 2008.

1. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Throwing into traffic blog

I know Mario has gotten a ton of love this offseason, so. . . Here's some more!

I liked this article because the writer actually researched some opinions on the 2006 draft rather than just saying "The media hated on the Texans".

Tailgate likes this.
  2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I would like to see a great year from Mario before I take another swig of battle red koolaid but I will say I have always been impressed on how well Mario handled himself throughout all the crap he took .

3. 3rd and Inches

3rd and Inches NFL's La Migra

I agree.. I think he handled all the negativity with integrity and honor.. which just made me love him more in my opinion..

4. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

keep it coming! i love every single word of "oops" press he's getting! every single word! man it's a great off season to be a long time Texans fan!

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That is so freakin' true. I've never read TiT, before. I gave it a bookmark and will keep reading.

Mario made KSK as the 8th seed in the Bracket of Pain, to determine the Heavyweight champ of the NFL. Speaking of KSK, you may or may not like Thursday's entry which has something on the Texans Travis Johnson. But, you definitely don't want to post it here.

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

:D <----Is what my face looks knowing the media made fools out of themselves

7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

nice find bOng, hopefully mario is the point of the sword this year

8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

So far I haven't tired of reading/hearing all the praise and apologies that Mario has been receiving from the press. I guess there was just so much crap dished out about him that it's going to take a long time for me to get tired of it. Heck, I may never forgive them! :shades: LOL!

YoungTexanFan likes this.

9. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I feel the same way. There was nothing in that article that I haven't heard a hundred times before. But it was just as entertaining and satisfying as the first time I heard the media eat crow about Mario.

10. CT CSTM

CT CSTM Rookie

I remember last pre-season, he and I were sitting in his driveway working on something,,,just hanging out BSing about nothing,,,he had been pretty down about all the negativity in the media so we were just talking about anything "not football",,,we hear a car drive by and the passenger yells out "Mario Sucks" as they drive by,,,we look at each other, he rolls his eyes and just kinda chuckles,,,we went back to our conversation without missing a beat,,,

Yeah the kid handled it like a seasoned veteran,,,

11. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

And only slightly less entertaining and satisfying has been the "Maybe it really WAS David Carr's fault . . . " redemption pieces for the Texans offense. But the Williams story probably gets the edge because nobody, NOBODY in the media was willing to do anything but bash the pick at the time. I forget whose column it was that posited that we should build a giant middle finger in front of Reliant stadium, but I fervently hope that Mario takes the next step and dominates everyone next year. I'll never tire of it.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Does he know that there's a hardcore group of us that have been behind him since the start? (Or at least as soon as the shock of the pick wore off but before the first training camp.) ? And that it's not a small group? Or did he feel that everyone was against him?

If he doesn't know, please tell him for us.

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I'm waiting for the full page ad in the Chron from Mattress Mac admitting that he doesn't know jack-crap about football.

I am however quite satisfied with the way Richard Justice is using his column to demonstrate that very thing on a regular basis.

14. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

true, true, very true

15. CT CSTM

CT CSTM Rookie

He knows everyone loves him now!:shades:

He never had anyone in public come up and be rude to him, he said everyone treated him very good and respectful,,,at least to his face,,,

16. 3rd and Inches

3rd and Inches NFL's La Migra

Not surprising.. I'm about his size and it's always amazing how nice people are to your face and as soon as your back is turned.. they start the frenzy of talkin' about you.. lol..

I think he's wise beyond his years.. I'm really glad Houston has him.. Grade A Quality Person IMO

17. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

there was one snipit in the article that i didn't know about. it was that he maintained a pretty high GPA throughout college as well. that's great! 3.8 or something.

18. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The only big name nat'l media writer that backed the Mario pick from the start as far as I know was Michael Smith who hulked up on Around the Horn the day after the draft when everyone was bashing the pick.

19. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Yes, there was another writer named Bomani Jones that wrote for the sports illustrated. I forget what the piece was titled, but one of the quotes was that the entire sports media owed Mario Williams an apology. I haven't seen an artickle in SI by him since (Although I really haven't looked)

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Smith actually was behind the pick before the Texans announced Mario would be taken #1.

I remember reading the article and thinking Smith had made some good points regarding taking Mario. But there was no way that it would happen. Especially after giving Anthony Weaver a big contract to play LDE. Surprise!