Grantland's Bill Barnwell's NFL Preview - Texans Will Compete for SB!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IlliniJen, Sep 8, 2011.

1. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6940766/grantland-mega-nfl-preview-part-iv

Grantland has been running it's 4-part NFL preview...the first two parts are the teams that will struggle this year or are on the way down. Part three is improving teams. And part 4...teams that will compete for the SB trophy. And the Texans are in that list of 8 teams!

ObsiWan and 76Texan like this.
  2. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

Lets get to the playoffs....first....then let the chips fall where they may.....

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Let's beat the Colts first.

4. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Worth noting that Barnwell is (was?) of Football Outsiders, who has generally been bearish (and right) on the Texans.

Good to see them singing a different tune. Can't help but feel giddy after reading this kind of stuff from some of the smarter guys in sports analysis.

76Texan likes this.
  5. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

Imagine Houston if the Texans could pull it off, I might even cry. If they did, it would be cool to see. Maybe their could be a rally like in 1978, but for a win this time.

Good to see the kool-aid factory is still fully functioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjXko9N6B0

^^1978 Rally @ the Dome. Doe not show the people lining the route to the Astrodome though.

76Texan likes this.
  6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Sweet! I'll start dusting the trophy case...

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Football Outsiders was previously won over...

LINK

8. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

I dont just want to beat the Colts....I want to blow them out.....payback is due....and has been overdue for a while.....
    I keep going back to the Jets Colts game 2 years ago when Manning and co were taken out of the game....Jets won and we did not go to the playoffs ....jets did......that pissed me off bigtime.....will never forget that lame crap......:pissed::boxing:

9. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Beat me to it, I was just getting ready to post the link.

I continue to believe that, regardless of the self-inflicted gunshot wounds this team has given itself they are only a few pieces from being major players. Obviously the games still need to be played, but I think the defense will show quite a bit of improvement. I've seen the comparisons to the Saints in their Super Bowl year and it seems like a pretty decent parallel to the Texans. By no means am I saying they will win it all but I think they can definitely shake things up this year.

10. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

texans...super bowl?

[​IMG]

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Imagine winning the Super Bowl in Indy, with Peyton watching. Yummy.

[​IMG]

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Let's win our division first.

13. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

It's hard to be both hopeful with every year being the "breakthrough" year for the Texans according to pre-season pundits for the last couple of years.

I'm of the "I'll believe it when I see" camp right now. I have had zero faith in Kubiak for the last couple of seasons, but there are a lot of people saying that even he can't screw this up for the Texans with the talent on offense and with Wade Phillips helming the D. If this team comes out flat as it often did last year, I will rage, I'll tell you what. No excuses for that sort of mental unpreparedness. None.

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think we're going to have some very pleasant surprise wins and record(s) this year (as far as our win/loss at various points of the season), but I think someone predicting a SB for us just shows that we are finally going to put up one HECK of a fight and win our division. It does not actually mean a team with NO playoff experience is going to win the SB this year. Maybe we get a HOME playoff game and win in the first round, but any further this year is asking for help from a higher power...

76Texan likes this.
  15. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

I have a hotel reservation in Indy and a whole lotta room on a credit card. I'm ready!

16. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Bingo.

My first reaction was: okay, why who is Bill Barwell and why should I give a damn what he thinks?

So I googled his name and saw very quickly that he just left Football Outsiders this past April.

This, coupled with the Football Outsiders piece Texans Chick presented not long ago, is encouraging.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Indescribably delicious

18. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I believe in pretty much every thing Football Outsider people say. They're usually fairly close in their predictions. We will see.

I think it's funny that their computer system that figures all this stuff out is called KUBIAK.

19. The Third Man

The Third Man All Pro

This is encouraging, but I can't help but think as Houston football fans we are perpetually a flailing Charlie Brown kicking air as Lucy-NFL-Fate pulls the ball away again. Logically, you see the talent versus the rest of division, but I just have to prepare myself for disappointment as I remain hopeful on the outside.