Grade Our Draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

My grade: B-

The Good: Addressed many needs on our team, including the glaring ones at OT, CB, and RB. Brown will be a project, but i think he will turn out to be an excellent LT in this league. I think Molden has enough natural talent and ability to be a future starter for this team. Slaton was a good pick for us, not for him to be an every down back, but to take a couple of carries away and to be a true homerun threat in the backfield. Mainly a 3rd down back. Xavier Adibi is definitely going to be great for us i think. He is a true ball hawk and has all of the things that we've looked for in an OLB besides size, but i don't think that it's as important as some people make it out to be.

The Bad: I didn't like the Barber or Brinks picks at all. Barber doesn't really catch my eye at anything he does, but he has a good name. Brinks was a wtf pick for me. I guess it almost eliminates the chance of Sage being on our roster next season. I am iffy on the Okam pick, because he doesn't have a good work ethic and appears lazy. If that could be corrected he could become a very good run stopper for us.

2. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I'll give the draft a B.

3. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Brown: A
    Moulden: A
    Slaton: B
    Adibi: A
    Barber: F
    Brinker: D

So, around a B

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

5. adam

adam Guero

I would give our draft an A. We addressed many needs and selected players that have the potential to fit perfectly into the zone blocking system that Gibbs and Kubiak are looking to install in Houston. We did well today

6. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

i dunno, I'd've called it an A- through the 5th, but I'll go with a B.

7. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i'm gonna give it a b... draft grades directly after the draft are retarded, but hey, it's fun.

brown: b
    molden: a
    slaton: a+
    adibi: b
    okam: b
    barber: c+
    brink: f

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

The got everything they needed but a DE. And there apparently were not that many good edge rushers in this draft.

B+, or maybe even an A-

9. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Sage will be on the roster, Brinks will be on the practice squad.

10. 281

281 Hall of Fame

this kid's name is brink, by the way. not bring, or brinker, or brinks... i mean, i could care less, but i can't believe how many of yall get simple names wrong.

11. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

you could, and should care less.

12. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Ok, Brink, whatever. He'll be a practice squad player, bank on it.

13. pappy

pappy Veteran

Over all: C
    Brown D-
    Molton A-
    Slaton C
    Adibi A-
    Okam B-
    Barber F
    Binks F

14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You forgot Okam.
    If Frank Bush can light a fire under him like he did under Travis Johnson, he's an "A".

Smithiak gets extra credit for getting the OT they targeted AND picking up two picks in the process.

They lose credit for using one of them on a safety we really didn't need and a drafting QB that has all of us scratching our heads.

Overall, a B.

15. triplethreat

triplethreat Veteran

C-
    Duane Brown was a projected 2nd rounder, we reached out on that pick, also not taking Mendenhall was bad, he is a tough bruiser back like Ahman Green used to be. I like Slaton, and Adibi may not ever turn out to be a great pro with his size, but all the players we have have good upside and if Brown adds some Muscule he can be a good LT

16. 281

281 Hall of Fame

k castoff

17. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

The problem I have with that logic is this, we did not have a second round pick so we had to take him at some point in the first. Rather than really reach at 18 we trade back which was actually a risk since all of the tackles we targeted ay 18 were gone at that point. I am sure glad everyone can guarantee us that he would have been there in the second if we would have traded back, considering the run on tackles, hell even Baker which everyone including Casserly said does not project as a LT was taken! So the alternative is take a RB and watch Schaub get killed agian next year and spend yet another year bitching about left tackle or try and get our guys and some extra picks. Job Done. Maybe we should have taken the extra risk and taken Seattles offer to get back to 28 which according to everyones complaint on reaching into the first means we only reached into the first by 3 picks instead of 5. Howerver if he was taken by someone somehow it would not have been worth the extra 6th or 7th we picked up! Especially considering what they did with the 6 & 7 we did have.

Not thirlled with the sixth pick, really annpyed by the 7th.

Overall grade B

ChampionTexan and Mailman like this.
  18. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Maybe he's friends with Kevin Walters.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Over all B+

Brown B Gibbs hand picked guy has a chance to be an A
    Molten A Super talented has a chance to be a special player. Better than Bennett

Slaton B+ 1st homerun threat RB in franchise history great kick returner
    Adibi B+ Finally we have a will LB that can rush the passer he's a playmaker needs to get stronger

Okam C+ 1st rd. talent 7th rd. motor has the ability to be run stopper that we have been looking for if he applies himself (very intelligent)

Barber C Smart football player has a chance to contribute on special teams I wanted us to pick Johnston

Brink C Very poised should develop under KUBES tutlage He should be ready by the time Sage becomes a FA

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

1. Brown: B: A slight reach, but if he works out, we finally have our LT

2. Schaub: B+: seemed like the real deal but needs to stay healthy.

3. Molton: B+: solid pickup. Hopefully he can be a third corner and work his way into our starting lineup.

3. Slaton: A-: Here is the perfect complimentary back in the ZBS. He will get significant touches this year.

4. Adibi: B-/C+: Part of me sees this guy as a Michael Boulware clone. I hope I am wrong.

5. Okam: B: We have a need at Big 2 Gap DT and thats exactly what Okam is. If someone can light a fire under his butt he might be the steal of the draft. If not, he can be a decent backup/rotational guy.

6. Barber: B-: remember this is a sixth rounder so we grade on a curve. This guy reminds me of a pick last year in Kasey Studdard. Studdard did not seem to fit and wer wondered why he was there. We saw him give his all and then some. If Barber does the same, I am confident we can find a place for him on the team.

6. Myers: B+/A-. We got him from Denver and he looks to be the real deal. The only question I have is, why would a ZBS give another a ZBS center for only a 6th?

7. Brink: C+: I dont get this pick. Maybe he will be utilized in another capacity or maybe will be used to groom and then traded for higher picks. He is a 7th rounder so he is graded on a curve.

Overall: A solid B draft.

Texaninlild likes this.