GP Play Breakdown: Butler's Whiff on 3rd & Goal

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Aug 14, 2012.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

In my boredom, I re-watched the Texans-Panthers preseason game. The first drive, we had good movement down the field. On 1st and goal, Tate ran nicely to the right side and got us to about the 2. On 2nd down, the LBs stuffed Tate at about the 2. On 3rd down, Schaub threw the ball away...but we were going to score a TD via Schaub-OD had Butler not missed his block at the snap. Here it is in full screenshot glory.

SHOT 1: OD Sets Up His Man, But Butler Whiffs At The Snap...

[​IMG]

SHOT 2: Schaub's Spidey Sense Tingles; He Know's He's In Trouble...

[​IMG]

SHOT 3: OD Ends Up At The X, Wide Open. Butler Throws A Picnic...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    Kaiser Toro and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  2. GP

GP Go Texans!

The screen shot does not do it justice how open OD became. Trust me, he had turned the LB around (beautifully) on a stutter step and then hook/curl that crossed up the LB perfectly...and OD ends up being a few steps into the open.

However, because Butler threw a quick low block...and missed...the defender bull-rushed Schaub and made him drop too far back to let the play develop as it was unfolding, naturally, just like it was drawn up to do.

It also wasn't a situation of OD adapting to try and help Schaub...OD's back was to Schaub the whole time, and OD was maneuvering methodically and got open perfectly. It was going to be one of those typical Schaub-OD toss and catch TD plays.

MINOR NOTE: Keshawn Martin was at bottom of screen, and he has being held very blatantly the whole time...though I don't know if the 5-yard "jam rule" is what saved the DB from getting flagged thereof not. Keshawn almost got open, too, but OD was the primary target there.

3. Fili

Fili All Pro

I remember this play. I was wondering how the o-line just collapsed all of a sudden. You can tell that the Carolina's d-line was prepared for the chop block and just side-stepped which isn't too difficult to do.

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

If you'll notice, both tackles missed their blocks on that play.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not a fan of what we called a rolling knee block in junior high. Why not stand up at 6'4" 317 and do a decent block at goal line?

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Trying to get the DEs hands down so Schaub has an easier time with the quick throw.

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Love the visual aids! :lol:

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

That was my guess, as well (glad someone else actually mentioned it).

That play looked designed to go to OD, so it makes sense for Butler to lay out the DE and get him down instead of possibly letting him jump and bat the ball down.

That's still a risky call, IMO, because Butler has to 100% get that DE onto the ground AND have him there long enough for the play to develop for Schaub to have time to throw the ball.

9. GP

GP Go Texans!

Thanks!

I won't make it a habit to use comedy in the 3 & Out Play Analysis screenshots I do. After all, not everything provides a stage for comedy. But Butler being on the ground for every screenshot...and Schaub having an "Oh ****!" moment was too rich to pass up right there.

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

lol... msr...

11. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

haha yeah both tackles missed their blocks. Dont see that everyday !

12. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yep!!!! I missed that, PN!

OK, that situation has to be addressed by Kubiak. We cannot have teams knowing that our two Tackles are going to throw low blocks on certain down & distance or certain packages. If this is a habit and the Panthers were wise to it, then it has to be fixed. Right?

I thought maybe Butler freestyled it there and chose to do that. But with Brown doing it, as well, then it has to be by design for that particular play. Which means there are certain pass plays requiring clear lanes for Schaub's passes (though maybe ALL of Schaub's passes need a 'clear lane' now that I think about it).

13. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

This looks strangely like an Ultima Online version of Texans football.

Good post, GP.

14. Rey

Rey Guest

Normally when o linemen cut block on a passing play the throw us supposed to come out quick. The block isn't meant to really cut the players, but instead make the d linemen put their hands down so the qb has a quick lane to throw in.

Butler and brown both cut blocking tells me that the throw was supposed to come out quick, but schaub probably didn't like what he saw coverage wise.

Brown and butler did nothing wrong there IMO.

Well, maybe butler can be more athletic and get up faster, but they were ok there.

The Pencil Neck and Allstar like this.
  15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We're not trying to pretend that Winston never whiffed are we?

Or that the defensive guys get paid as well? These things happen, what we hope for, is that it doesn't happen often. Or that any scrub will make our guys look like this.

It would also be nice if we had a play-maker at QB, one that can salvage this situation.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

looks like the defense was expecting a quick play as they put a body on all our receivers..... 5 yards & everything.

17. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

GP, thanks for the visual aids. TPN, good eye noticing both missed blocks. This was obviously a designed play/blocking scheme that failed on this play. The important thing is that coaches and players learn from it and hopefully don't repeat this mistake. That's why it's preseason, time to learn. All the rookies will learn so much more this week in practice than they did the last few weeks of training camp because they now have a point of reference/game from which to draw upon, they should all learn why something is done now. Great learning experience. Let's hope everything looks sharper against the 49'rs.

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

^^^ This.

19. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Great take.

20. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

Love the picnic. MSR for me too.