Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
We are, indeed, fortunate to have Wade Phillips now directing our D. While we celebrate his presence, others mourn his loss. What is quite evident is that Wade is leaving a powerful impression on the Texans players.........in step with his daddy's mild-mannered classy fashion.

Joke's on the Cowboys: Collapse of Rob Ryan's D proves Jerry Jones made an arrogant mistake on Wade Phillips

If Wade Phillips' guys expected fiery congratulations, slaps on the back or a even a mildly enthusiastic job well done, they were in for a surprise. For as everyone else who's been haunted by this Houston Texans defense (owner Bob McNair, head coach Gary Kubiak, the fans in the stands) went bonkers over the unit's performance in the season opener, Phillips kept it nonchalant.

"Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score," defensive tackle Shaun Cody says in relaying Phillips' words for his defense after a 34-7 wipeout of the Indianapolis Colts. "That was it. 'Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.' That's all he really said."

Cody grins. He's more than into whatever the Texans' slightly round, white-haired defensive Yoda wants to utter. Phillips' message to his guys — and make no mistake, the Texans' defensive players are already Wade's Guys — could not have been more clear. The rest of the NFL world may be shocked by the Texans' week one defensive power flex, but he expects it. And they should to, if they think about it.

"This isn't about Wade," linebacker DeMeco Ryans insists. "It's about a bunch of guys coming together who believed they could do this. We knew we had this in us. We believe in ourselves."

Funny, that sounds like exactly what Wade Phillips would want Ryans to believe. While McNair lauds the defense as the missing link and Kubiak gushes about the Texans playing their best half of football ever, Phillips quietly makes his way through the locker room, wearing a short sleeve, button-up shirt and holding a leather satchel like he's a businessman on casual Friday.

"Just call me Antonio Nostradamus," Antonio Smith laughs, "because I predicted that Mario was going to be awesome. I told you all."

This is Wade Phillips' gift. The gift of nonchalance. It may never come in more handy than it does with this Texans' defense, a unit that became so freaked out last season that it would jump at its own shadow.

"Wade's so cool," rookie defensive end J.J. Watt says of a 64-year-old coaching lifer who's probably only been called that once or twice in his life. Tops.

Phillips certainly wasn't considered cool in Dallas where he never really rose above being regarded as a rube temporarily coaching America's Team — even if he lasted there three and a half seasons and took Jerry Jones' team to two playoff berths before getting fired halfway through last season.

The Cowboys new coach, Jason Garrett, is considered more commanding than Phillips, more dashing than Phillips (and if you think looks don't matter in Big D, you've never spent any time there), more cool than Phillips.

Garrett's more Cowboys friendly. Whether he'll ever win as much, well that's another matter. It's sure not looking good for Jones and an arrogant fan base that tried to paint Phillips as a befuddled buffoon right now. For hours after the Texans defense played "angry" (Phillips' word) all around their leader's calm, the Cowboys' new hyper defensive leader (Rob Ryan, brother of Rex, friend to no Dream Team) watched his defense implode when it had a game in its grasp.

The Cowboys of Garrett, Ryan and Jones blew a 14-point fourth quarter lead on Sunday Night Football, threw away a game to a Jets team waiting to be beat. With the game on the line, Dallas' D played as out of control and freaked out as its new defensive coordinator. Don't put all the blame for that 27-24 loss on a blocked punt, another Tony Romo choke or a 50-yard field goal. Ryan's defense found itself plenty turned around in the second half too. His cornerbacks looked lost, shaken . . . and there was no one there to calm them down.

With every Sunday like this, it will become more and more apparent that Jerry's made another mistake.

Meet the new Super Mario

Remember how almost everyone freaked out over Mario Williams' "impossible" transition to playing outside linebacker in Phillips' preferred 3-4 defensive scheme? How Phillips nonchalanted it all preseason and said that Mario would be fine?

Well, there's Mario flying around the corner, blowing up plays in the Colts backfield, finishing with two sacks and a forced fumble. Mario would have looked like the most dominant defensive player on the field. If Watt wasn't bursting through the line. If Antonio Smith wasn't conducting regular breath tests of Kerry Collins. If Cody wasn't clogging everything up in Indianapolis' running game.

"They're as good as a front seven as we'll play all year," Collins said. And yes, he's talking about the Texans.

It's sure not looking good for Jerry Jones and an arrogant fan base that tried to paint Wade Phillips as a befuddled buffoon right now.

It starts with Mario and Phillips recognized that from the beginning. By treating Williams with respect, by all but laughing at the notion of judging a veteran by the preseason, by staying cool, the Texans defensive coordinator empowered his most important player.

"Just call me Antonio Nostradamus," Smith laughs, "because I predicted that Mario was going to be awesome. I told you all."

Phillips isn't quite as gregarious as the Texans' defensive captain. But he advances much the same message. "Mario looked pretty good as an outside linebacker to me," Phillips says with a smile.

Of course, as Smith notes, it helped that the Colts tried to block Williams on the edge with tight end Dallas Clark. "I don't know what they were thinking," Smith says.

Maybe Phillips did. Creating mismatches is at the heart of his 3-4. It's about putting his playmakers in position to be stars, getting Williams 1-on-1 against a tight end, allowing free safety Danieal Manning to fly all over the field and try and take receivers heads off (even if the penalty Manning received for doing just that Sunday afternoon was dubious at best).

"Wade is confident and that makes everyone confident," Cody says. "He'll map it all out and tell us this is what they're going to do and this is what we're going to do. And this is what's going to happen.

"And it happens."

Of course, Phillips is just ticked the shutout didn't happen. "That would have been nice," he says of securing a goose egg. "I thought our guys played well enough to earn it. But it just shows you how hard it really is to get a shutout in this league."

Phillips message to his guys was a little more succinct. Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

"We wanted that shutout so bad," Watt says. "Now, we'll have to go get us one next week."

It's more than 40 minutes after the game, the Texans locker room is clearing out, and J.J. Watt still looks like he wants to hit somebody. All powered by the most nonchalant leader in the room.

You can be sure that Rob Ryan said a lot more — in a much louder fashion — after his Cowboys defense fell apart. So crazy. The man could probably could use a little confident nonchalance.

"We wanted that shutout so bad," Watt says. "Now, we'll have to go get us one next week."

It's more than 40 minutes after the game, the Texans locker room is clearing out, and J.J. Watt still looks like he wants to hit somebody. All powered by the most nonchalant leader in the room.
It's always good to have some new blood that is ready and pumping.

He can push the old men on the team to play harder! :cow:

Only part I took issue with:
the Cowboys' new hyper defensive leader (Rob Ryan, brother of Rex, friend to no Dream Team) watched his defense implode when it had a game in its grasp.

Uh no, he watched as Tony Romo single-handedly choked the game away. I was expecting him to imitate his Dad going after Gilbride.

I was skeptical to say the least. A more accurate description might be that I was disgusted when I heard Kubiak was staying and Wade was taking over the D.

Not only am I now thinking I was wrong, I'm developing a serious man crush on our new treasure: Wade Phillips.

We're lucky to have him. I really got a kick out of watching him smiling his goofy smile on the sideline yesterday.

Uh no, he watched as Tony Romo single-handedly choked the game away. I was expecting him to imitate his Dad going after Gilbride.

Not only that, and im no Cowgirl fan, but they had two of their top 3 CB's out, the other one being gimpy after getting rocked twice in the game. Jets spread the girls remaining CB's out and targeted them..Pretty much their version of McCain, Allen, and Harris playing w/ KJ as the #1.

Yeah im not so sure yet i think our D is better no question but i still think it will take us at least 1 full season for this 3-4 D to really Gel IMO and maybe another Draft class under its belt

because im still seeing us getting gashed at the RUN addie really ran up on us in this game not alot but u know he had some runs

but if we get better each week there is no reason why we cant Win while still learning

I don't get the quote. "Lets not let the team score."
Who? The Colts? If so, why did he tell them "see you tomorrow"

Since the quote was post game, I took it as a challenge for the defense not to let the other team score next time. See you tomorrow was a kind of a "let's get back to work" kind of thing.

Wade said a mouthful.

Got the win - refers to the game that just ended
see you tomorrow - means get your a$$es back here - ready to work - TOMORROW. I'm gonna teach you how you can be even BETTER.
Let's not let the team score - that's the motto of his defense. Don't let anyone score. As a defense, that's our job. Don't let their team score (whoever "they" might be).

Not only that, and im no Cowgirl fan, but they had two of their top 3 CB's out, the other one being gimpy after getting rocked twice in the game. Jets spread the girls remaining CB's out and targeted them..Pretty much their version of McCain, Allen, and Harris playing w/ KJ as the #1.

This is the thing that I think was completely omitted. I know Newman didn't play at all, but he is also fading imo and so there is not a huge drop off between him and Scandrick/Jenkins. When both of those guys were out for the game, there is a pretty big drop off when you have to play your 4th and 5th CB. Even with that happening it still took a special teams failure and 2 turnovers to give the game away. I am not sure I blame the D really at all, they played a solid game, limiting the run and keeping the passing from getting out of control considering the circumstances.

Add in the fact that the center tried to help make Romo's 4th quarter worse (he did look good for the first 3), and this was a wild game. Long story short - I think its a bit much to bash the cowboys D after 1 crazy game. However, I am obviously glad for them firing Wade last season. We should send them a thank you note.

This is the thing that I think was completely omitted. I know Newman didn't play at all, but he is also fading imo and so there is not a huge drop off between him and Scandrick/Jenkins. When both of those guys were out for the game, there is a pretty big drop off when you have to play your 4th and 5th CB. Even with that happening it still took a special teams failure and 2 turnovers to give the game away. I am not sure I blame the D really at all, they played a solid game, limiting the run and keeping the passing from getting out of control considering the circumstances.

Add in the fact that the center tried to help make Romo's 4th quarter worse (he did look good for the first 3), and this was a wild game. Long story short - I think its a bit much to bash the cowboys D after 1 crazy game. However, I am obviously glad for them firing Wade last season. We should send them a thank you note.

Uncle Bob has probably thanked Jerruh already.
Although I'm not convinced Jerruh could bring himself to say, "You're welcome"
:D

Yeah im not so sure yet i think our D is better no question but i still think it will take us at least 1 full season for this 3-4 D to really Gel IMO and maybe another Draft class under its belt

because im still seeing us getting gashed at the RUN addie really ran up on us in this game not alot but u know he had some runs

but if we get better each week there is no reason why we cant Win while still learning

Which game were you watching??

What did they have 63 yards rushing?? I hope that is soon to be considered a gashing!

...Cody grins. He's more than into whatever the Texans' slightly round, white-haired defensive Yoda wants to utter....

Hoth-boy would be so proud. Anyone wanna try their hand at a photshop?

Preach.

Yeah, Romo was supposed to be covering the middle of the line on that blocked punt.

Some Phillips quotes on NFL.com.

"It's just game-to-game, you do everything you can to win every game you play," Phillips said. "But we put in our stuff, and we played everything we'd normally play if I'd been here, gameplan-wise. We had enough dogs, blitzes, coverages, fronts -- all those things -- to attack what (the Colts) do. That's what you have to have. I didn't see a whole lot of different. We executed what we needed to."

That's not to say it was completely business as usual over the summer. Phillips explains that normally, "One day, you put this in, and the next day, you put in something else. We didn't do that, because we just weren't ready. They didn't know enough."

So the coach adjusted his installation, and by the first week of the preseason, he was getting results. In more than two quarters of starter-vs.-starter action, the Texans surrendered just 50 yards to the 49ers offense. He left the "de-programming" of prior failures to Gary Kubiak, something he said the head coach took head on. And as important as forgetting the past, Phillips is seeing the players take to the present, because he's finding ways to make it work for them.

"It reminds me a lot of San Diego," said Phillips, who was the Chargers' coordinator from 2004-06. "We had L.T. (LaDainian Tomlinson), (Drew) Brees, (Antonio) Gates, and they were coming off a good year offensively, but they finished 4-12, had the first pick in the draft. Everyone thought that was not a good team, or that the opportunity to be a good team wasn't there.

"There's more optimism here, and everyone has been saying we have a good offense here, but we lost games late because of the defense. Well, in San Diego, the defense improved, and we still had L.T. and Brees and Gates, and we won 12 games. It's similar to here."
Wade says the Texans will win 12 games, Yippee! Interesting comparison with the '04 Chargers. I will say that this Texans defense has a heck of a lot more talent than Phillips had with that Chargers team.

Some Phillips quotes on NFL.com.

Wade says the Texans will win 12 games, Yippee! Interesting comparison with the '04 Chargers. I will say that this Texans defense has a heck of a lot more talent than Phillips had with that Chargers team.

If we won 12 games we`d have so many `new` fans it`d be a little sickening. Wonder how many Cowboy fans would say they`ve always liked the Texans.

If we won 12 games we`d have so many `new` fans it`d be a little sickening. Wonder how many Cowboy fans would say they`ve always liked the Texans.
The bandwagon is large, so no need to get sickened.

I don't know... while a tad annoying it will be nice not being the only Texan fan talking smack in the sports bars I go to.

Truthfully, I think there's always been a lot more Cowboy fans that like the Texans than vice versa! Been dealing with this for 10 yrs now. Hear it all the time, and it'll only get worst IF we have a great season. The Cowboy franchise has been around over 50 yrs, they have a huge fan base in Houston, that's just the way it is. They'll hitch on to our wagon, buy a blue jersey, and go along for the ride. They'll pull for us to win the SB, and they'll be right there celebrating when we do. Strange thing is, I don't know ANY diehard Texan fans who really like the Cowboys and would do the same thing. I know I wouldn't. Just sit back and watch the meatball fans come out of the hills of Tenn and CLAIM they have always LOVE the Texans!!

First let me say I REALLY enjoyed that article. See chron.com?, why can't you guys do that?? Nice job by Chris Baldwin. Maybe the chron will look him up if RJ ever falls off the planet.

The bandwagon is large, so no need to get sickened.

And pretty roomy at the moment. I would love to see people look at this team and decide on a permanent seat with the Texans. As was said earlier, it would nice to not be the only one in a room talking Texans.

Truthfully, I think there's always been a lot more Cowboy fans that like the Texans than vice versa! Been dealing with this for 10 yrs now. Hear it all the time, and it'll only get worst IF we have a great season. The Cowboy franchise has been around over 50 yrs, they have a huge fan base in Houston, that's just the way it is. They'll hitch on to our wagon, buy a blue jersey, and go along for the ride. They'll pull for us to win the SB, and they'll be right there celebrating when we do. Strange thing is, I don't know ANY diehard Texan fans who really like the Cowboys and would do the same thing. I know I wouldn't. Just sit back and watch the meatball fans come out of the hills of Tenn and CLAIM they have always LOVE the Texans!!

Aaah, all we have to do is ask them who won the battle of the Alamo and when they say "we did" just call the local ASPCA and wish 'em luck. :D

First let me say I REALLY enjoyed that article. See chron.com?, why can't you guys do that?? Nice job by Chris Baldwin. Maybe the chron will look him up if RJ ever falls off the planet.

And pretty roomy at the moment. I would love to see people look at this team and decide on a permanent seat with the Texans. As was said earlier, it would nice to not be the only one in a room talking Texans.

Aaah, all we have to do is ask them who won the battle of the Alamo and when they say "we did" just call the local ASPCA and wish 'em luck. :D
You'll be glad you showed up early and got a good seat!!:fans:

We get a few new bandwagoners join us here at TT every year ..... Once the team starts sucking , they forget the address .... Look around , we know most every poster who's been a part of the forums for any extended period of time.

For those of us that have been part of this forum since the start .... I can imagine a :trophy: would be a pretty sweet reward for all the heartbreak this team has given us over the last decade.

You guys are right, I mean it's not like we have a race to avoid blackouts on a weekly basis so the city does support this particular franchise.

:mcnugget:

Huh? Addai had 39 yards rushing. As a team the Colts rushed for 64 yards. If that's considered being "gashed" I'll take being "gashed" ALL SEASON LONG!!

We get a few new bandwagoners join us here at TT every year ..... Once the team starts sucking , they forget the address .... Look around , we know most every poster who's been a part of the forums for any extended period of time.

For those of us that have been part of this forum since the start .... I can imagine a :trophy: would be a pretty sweet reward for all the heartbreak this team has given us over the last decade.

If we ever won :trophy: , I'd probably keel over and die from a heart attack!

Señor Stan;1773724 said:
Since the quote was post game, I took it as a challenge for the defense not to let the other team score next time. See you tomorrow was a kind of a "let's get back to work" kind of thing.

Obviously it was in Espanol. Thanks for translating..:thinking:

I tell you what. I may not have been part of this forum for very long, but I've been a Texan fan since the beginning. I think it's kind of arrogant to suggest that just because someone was not on a sports forum doesn't make them a real fan. People who know me outside of the "internetz" can attest to my "fanhood" as I've often been asked why I am a Texans fan. To me, it's a simple answer, Screw Bud Adams and I'm not following a team that from another city when mine has their own. It's easy to be a "fan" of the Steelers and Cowboys with the chips they've racked up. Easy to follow a winner. Very hard to stay dedicated to a regular let down as the Texans have been. A Super Bowl would be just as sweet for me as the Rockets chips were in '94 and '95.

I believe in our case, with the 9 prior seasons & the Colts issues, we won't see so many new fans at all. They'll want to see us do it again.

But, we're getting ahead of ourselves.

1 & 0

Cats and dogs living together, frogs raining down from the sky, pigs flying

I tell you what. I may not have been part of this forum for very long, but I've been a Texan fan since the beginning. I think it's kind of arrogant to suggest that just because someone was not on a sports forum doesn't make them a real fan. People who know me outside of the "internetz" can attest to my "fanhood" as I've often been asked why I am a Texans fan. To me, it's a simple answer, Screw Bud Adams and I'm not following a team that from another city when mine has their own. It's easy to be a "fan" of the Steelers and Cowboys with the chips they've racked up. Easy to follow a winner. Very hard to stay dedicated to a regular let down as the Texans have been. A Super Bowl would be just as sweet for me as the Rockets chips were in '94 and '95.

You are correct. A fan is a fan. I've dropped well over $10k on the Texans over the last several years, on season tickets, merchandise, and whatnot, and I would never imply that someone who didn't do what I did wasn't a "real" fan.

There are a lot of faithful, rabid fans that don't get on message boards, and don't even know they exist. To say that a Texans SB victory would mean less to them is a fallacy.

Well said.

Having a screen door around would be appropriate.

Without getting into details...the wife made tostadas last night. Oh my! It's sad when you wake up due to your own fumes. Damn! Actually, I thought it was a dream until rippin ass on my drive into work. Thought I was going to spew in my damn truck.

I read his definition of a bandwagoner to be someone who disappears when the going gets tough. Stick around, enjoy the team and the discussions. Message boards aren't for everyone, and you need a pretty thick skin to survive. Welcome aboard and here is hoping for a great season :toast2:

Without getting into details...the wife made tostadas last night. Oh my! It's sad when you wake up due to your own fumes. Damn! Actually, I thought it was a dream until rippin ass on my drive into work. Thought I was going to spew in my damn truck.

tmi.gif

6a0147e1d5cc00970b015432452eac970c-800wi

Yeah, Romo was supposed to be covering the middle of the line on that blocked punt.

Agreed. Unfortunately the Special Teams didn't couch up the ball inside the five on a 95%+ scoring opportunity, nor did they throw a pick.

My commentary was directed towards the article's assertion that Rob Ryan was "upset" with the way his DEFENSE played. They played great, Romo (and fine, the special teams as well) choked the game away, not his defense.

Since you haven't joined and gone away yet, and I'm not suggesting you will, I sure Corrosion wasn't talking about you. As with all other message boards in the history of the internet, posters come and go. We got a lot of new posters last year when we were 3-1 and by the time we were 4-4 many had left. I think that is who Corrosion was talking about, but I shouldn't be anyone's spokesman.

Before Corrosion comes along and sees me speaking for him I'm getting the hell out of here. :D

Welcome to the board. :fans:

tis the good news. We would be the final superbowl winner. Kinda like getting the last post in the last post wins thread.

According to this post, you have the most accurate username on the Board. However, I feel the same way. I've always said "If the Texans (and Oilers before that) win the Super Bowl, the apocalypse is surely on its way."

Never knew it was fact. #lifesabitchthenyoudie

Back