Good Lord...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Maddict5, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

havent had the stomach to rewatch the jets game till now.. and im not really into looking for excuses or whatever. it shouldve never came to that last td play but just rewatched the game there and on the last play... just watch what happens cushing smh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvzVZHYys6o

Topher likes this.
  2. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

btw i know its waaaaaay too late to post this but just hadnt seen it mentioned by anyone

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Damn! I didn't see that before, but he was just flat out tackled when he had a clear path to the qb! I sure hope they sent that to the league office!

4. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

What the H didn't Quin try to strip that ball at the end? Holmes had it in one hand and it could have been stripped quite easily. They may have determined that he had already secured the ball, but still, with all the flaky calls that have been made on touchdown catches you would think he would have at least tried to knock it away. Pretty sad to see him give up as soon as the ball got over his head.

Edit: Also, that tackle on Cushing was pretty ridiculous. Should have been an easy call.

5. JMacaroni

JMacaroni On the bubble

Even obvious from a different angle on the replay. Shitty.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From all of the camera angles, it was pretty clear that Quin so beaten that he was around 3 feet away from the receiver by the time he went out of bounds in the corner of the end zone. No chance for a meaningful strip.

7. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Texans have been getting the short end of the deal (quite a bit more than the opponents) all year long, I don't see any use of crying foul about it.

But just for the sake of talking about that play, you can see at least two things that could have been called:

1. The blocker's action on Cushing.

Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops.

2. The illegal pick by the outside receiver on KJ.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

BTW, once the catch was made, there's no use for Quin to do anything.
    Play was over.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

What was peculiar was the D-call.
    I would expect some sort of tango between KJ and Quin (switching).
    The way Quin was positioned, there was no way he can defend that wheel route due to the natural barrier created by the slot receiver and KJ.

It was an 8-man blitz.
    If the Texans were to play straight man like that, it would make more sense to have Quin play on the LOS.
    If the receiver beats the jam, Quin probably would have to commit PI to prevent the TD.

I'm not so sure the coaches put the players in a position to succeed on that play.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

On this D, do they ever? :sarcasm:

10. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Wow, never noticed that. EGREGIOUS! How could that not be called. Holy crap. I'm pissed all over again.

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Why? If it had been called, they still would have been able to get a minimum of two more plays off with ten seconds remaining to go with a timeout. The TD was inevitable.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree with this... pretty obvious. But like you said, what's the point. It is what it is. We've probably gotten away with some of these our selves.
    I don't think it was an illegal pick, it was actually our player in Quin's path... see how KJ fronted the receiver, to prevent the slant??
    yup...... [/nuff said]

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

My beef with Bush on this play is that we've seen it at least half a dozen times, we defend it the same way every time, & we get beat on it every time.

If they were playing man, KJac has got to be on the line, to jam his man at the line, preventing Holmes from running the underneath unabated. I'm more apt to blame the rookie than the DC with a veteran defensive staff..... maybe Bush is a rookie DC, but he's got LB coaches, DB coaches, DL coaches, Defensive assistant coaches & a whole slew of people who have seen the same thing we've seen multiple times.

if the coaches are telling both DBs to play back off the line like that, they need to be playing zone... with a man look. the only option is to switch.

Quin should hold his ground, & watch the QB for the slant. He needs to keep one eye on the outside receiver and roll with him if he gets behind him. If the receiver in front of him runs straight at him, or tries to slant inside, he's still got it covered.

KJac needs to be doing the same thing..... he needs to keep the inside receiver in the corner of his eye, if the inside receiver cuts out, he's got to switch... no other option, he has to stay on top of him, & not allow him into the end zone unabated, there is no way for Quin to get to the outside. Quin would have to take the outside receiver, the fade will still be difficult to defend, but he won't be 3 yards behind... he should still be able to make a play.

But overall, I agree there is something wrong with the coaching, if this keeps happening again & again, & this does.

A player falling down all the time, I can't blame that on the coaches, but this..... this has got to be a coaching issue.

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If the player is asked to play poor technique (like shuffling backwards rather than backpedaling), then I can blame coaching for a player falling down.

15. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

This is true but I don't see Jackson shuffling. I don't see anyone shuffling really. Do you? Jackson seems to have a poor bite getting off. I think his initial response time is slow and he falls down because he's in the process of getting beat. He has some really nice jets on him. Now to work on planting his feet and his timing...

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Um, yeah I do. Watch these (ahem) highlights of the Giants/Texans debacle. Also, there is a thread here discussing the shuffle technique Gibbs employs.

Edit: Fixed link

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Both links go to the same thread.

I've certainly heard all about the shuffle for a couple years now... I don't see it. I really would like to see the Giants game highlights. If anyone looks like they're doing it... it'd be McCain but I think that's more of him being a piss-poor CB than anything else. I think the discussions relating to the "implementation" of this technique is a little overblown. I don't doubt they practice it but ultimately the players do what comes to them naturally.

18. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't know about that...

A lot of football techniques aren't really "natural" movements...

Especially when you're talking about a CB who is moving backward at a fairly high rate of speed. You normally practice certain techniques so that it becomes a habit.

If they are practicing the shuffling technique I highly doubt they go into game day and do their own thing.

19. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

When somebody has practiced this or that all their life... that technique becomes what's natural to them. All accounts from the Gibbs' change hampers those who have always backpeddled at this stage. It's why I added the word ultimately in.

Shuffling just doesn't seem natural unless one has years of practice. I think Gibbs needs to start with high schoolers in order to have more success.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Fixed.

Keep looking.

Kareem shuffling
    on a 45 yard completion to Steve Smith.

Freakin' NFL.com highlights won't jump directly to video. Scroll down to "Steve Smith 45-yard catch".