Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Good Chronicle article on Bennie Joppru

Wolf

100% Texan
was reading that.. kinda makes you irritated at some of the people that bash him..afterall he is still human

PapaL

Loose Screw
All I have to say is he better know the playbook by now. 3 years of injuries are bad enough, but if he comes back next year and is still a "rookie" would be the worst possible thing. Good luck Bennie, we're all pulling for you!

touttail

Rookie
After losing Billy Miller's pass catching abilities, I would love to see Benny on the field to see what he CAN DO!

bobby 119C :brickwall

J-Storm

Waterboy
That was a good read there Marcus. Interesting that a lot of people he comes across seem to think he possibly could have got injured on purpose. I must admit I'm glad I haven't seen anyone say that on these msgboards. I sure hope he makes a full recovery and can get on the field next season.

In saying that I still think we should invest in a TE in this upcoming draft and cut Bruener or someone else. We need another player at that position as safety should anything happen again accidentally.

HeartofHouston

Waterboy
I mean guys are pretty much on the nose with this one.. After 3 back to back to back years watching from the sideline/home or wherever.. when he comes back he has to have a instant impact for me to be completely sold on him..

I injuried my knee my sophmore year and at the end of my junior year in HS.. so i know what it's like for people to wonder are you really as good as you are but then i bounced back my senior year and was 2nd on the team in tackles, 2nd in Ints at Safety.

SO i'm pulling for you, but you gotta come with it next year.. cause we're gonna have a new HC and its gonna be your contract year.. So good luck and make us proud..

MorKnolle

All Pro
LCROD said:
All I have to say is he better know the playbook by now. 3 years of injuries are bad enough, but if he comes back next year and is still a "rookie" would be the worst possible thing. Good luck Bennie, we're all pulling for you!
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) next year we'll have a completely different playbook.

keyfro

Veteran
you know what i'm sorry...three season ending injuries in a row since being drafted...that's tough...but there is no reason the texans organization should not draft another TE on the first day in april...we simply cannot trust that he'll make it out of training camp or even the preseason...draft another TE and best case scenario we have two really good TE's...worst case scenario the TE we drafted will start while joppru is on ir again

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
keyfro said:
you know what i'm sorry...three season ending injuries in a row since being drafted...that's tough...but there is no reason the texans organization should not draft another TE on the first day in april...we simply cannot trust that he'll make it out of training camp or even the preseason...draft another TE and best case scenario we have two really good TE's...worst case scenario the TE we drafted will start while joppru is on ir again
I agree, but it comes down to cap. This should be one of the first orders to address for the GM next year.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
"Tight end's knee ahead of schedule; his desire to play is off the charts"
Atleast he's hanging in there, you would think its his time for some "good
luck". He's only 25, so he's certainly still young enough. I dunno....helluva
deal, that's all I can say.

TexanAlmighty

Waterboy
nunusguy said:
"Tight end's knee ahead of schedule; his desire to play is off the charts"
Atleast he's hanging in there, you would think its his time for some "good
luck". He's only 25, so he's certainly still young enough. I dunno....helluva
deal, that's all I can say.
Heck he's the same age as Morency. At least we have next year to look forward to.:)

Porky

Hall of Fame
SheTexan said:
Get rid of him and bring back Billy Miller!!!
Miller is so good, Cleveland cut him and he is now out of football.

As to Bennie, I hope like heck he can stay healthy and bring it next year. But, let's face it. Three years out of the game is a long time. Even if healthy, there is no way of knowing if we will ever see the Joppru we would have before. We simply cannot take the chance. It is imperative we draft a real TE on the first day somewhere next yr. If everything comes up roses, we have two good TE's, which is fine by me. Relying on a healthy Joppru next year is fool's gold.

S

SESupergenius

Good thing is is that he's not giving up. Bruener has lost a lot of blocking skills and we are desperate for a play making TE. He have to address this issue in the offseason either through FA or draft, we just can't count on Joppru being there. If he does come back the great, we have 2 solid TE's, something we've NEVER had.

PapaL

Loose Screw
MorKnolle said:
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) next year we'll have a completely different playbook.
You are so right. That thought never crossed my mind. Disregard, as I was.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good read, thanks for the link, Marcus.

While I feel bad for the dude, I've got mixed emotions as a fan. He is unproven, but has a lot of potential. How long does the team give him? Next year or bust? idonno:

I sincerely hope he breaks out next year and gives us the TE that we desperately need right now. But I also hope that the Texans address this position in the draft or FA, because a little depth at TE is never a bad thing.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
SESupergenius said:
Good thing is is that he's not giving up. Bruener has lost a lot of blocking skills and we are desperate for a play making TE. He have to address this issue in the offseason either through FA or draft, we just can't count on Joppru being there. If he does come back the great, we have 2 solid TE's, something we've NEVER had.
Ain't that the truth. I thought Bruener was going to be a difference maker with his blocking skills.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
Porky said:
Miller is so good, Cleveland cut him and he is now out of football.

Billy got cut because he is injured! HUMMMMMMMM, does that ring a bell?? INJURY! At least he played for three years!! QUOTE from BJ: "I spend a lot of time sitting in the house playing video games," he said. " I pretty much live in one room of my house so it doesn't seem like I'm alone all the time." QUOTE from the Houston Chronicle: "he's earned 2.545 million of his four-year, 3.005 million contract." EXCUSE me if I don't feel sorry for some college dude who has made 2.5+million bucks for sitting in his living room playing video games!!!! He WONDERS what the Texans and the fans think about him. Well, this is ONE fan who wishes she had his job!!

cadahnic

Rookie
Damn straight SheTexan. Hopefully Jop can get healthy and see a little action around the end of the year Ari or SF, but it is not likely. Hell he would likely break a leg during warmups.

eriadoc

Texan-American
SheTexan said:
Billy got cut because he is injured! HUMMMMMMMM, does that ring a bell?? INJURY! At least he played for three years!! QUOTE from BJ: "I spend a lot of time sitting in the house playing video games," he said. " I pretty much live in one room of my house so it doesn't seem like I'm alone all the time." QUOTE from the Houston Chronicle: "he's earned 2.545 million of his four-year, 3.005 million contract." EXCUSE me if I don't feel sorry for some college dude who has made 2.5+million bucks for sitting in his living room playing video games!!!! He WONDERS what the Texans and the fans think about him. Well, this is ONE fan who wishes she had his job!!
Not to be harsh or anything, but go ahead and wreck your knee and rip a couple muscles loose from your pelvic bone and you too can be sitting in comfort playing video games. Granted, you won't get the $2.5 mil, but that's not really my point.

From a business standpoint, the Texans chose to keep him because his contract was relatively small for the potential they feel he brings (at least, I read that somewhere, so take it FWIW). Regardless, it's not like the guy got injured on purpose. We fans have no place making judgments on players in that position. Feel symapthy for him or not, your choice, but don't be ugly because he fell victim to a situation he had no control over.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
SheTexan said:
Earth to SheTexan, most of today's athletes are playing video games. Get mad at the cap implications if we were to cut him or get mad at the front office for signing a perfectly healthy prospect.

I do not game myself, but this is trivial banter.

Trap_Star

SiteContributor
I say we give him a shot next year,barring injury or course, lets see why we used a 2nd rd pick on him. if he doesn't work out... its ok. Olsen is on his way 07:yahoo:

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
eriadoc said:
Not to be harsh or anything, but go ahead and wreck your knee and rip a couple muscles loose from your pelvic bone and you too can be sitting in comfort playing video games. Granted, you won't get the $2.5 mil, but that's not really my point.

From a business standpoint, the Texans chose to keep him because his contract was relatively small for the potential they feel he brings (at least, I read that somewhere, so take it FWIW). Regardless, it's not like the guy got injured on purpose. We fans have no place making judgments on players in that position. Feel symapthy for him or not, your choice, but don't be ugly because he fell victim to a situation he had no control over.
I am truly not trying to be ugly. I had an on the job injury where I wrecked my knee, shoulder, and elbow. I was out of work for almost a year. I got paid 50% of my base salary. I am not trying to place judgement on Benny either. I read the same article as the rest of you and I didn't interpret it the same way. He came across as poor pitiful Benny, it "hurts because fans are disappointed!!" Probably not Benny's fault either that Megan Manfull made him sound like a whiney *** who sits in his living room all alone feeling sorry for himself because Texan fans might not like him, all while padding his bank account and playing games. Heck, I think I am just jealous! I should have been born a man!:rolleyes:

In a nutshell: IF he ever comes back, which I seriously doubt he will, I will support him the same way I support all our Texan players. Only in the world of sports would someone get paid for doing nothing. (not counting politics:) )

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
SheTexan said:
Only in the world of sports would someone get paid for doing nothing. (not counting politics:) )
Don't forget your friendly local pyramid scheme, err energy company. :) Oh those executive Enronians.

utahmark

markbeth
LCROD said:
the playbook is about to be changed. my bad, guess someone already pointed this out.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
SheTexan has some good points. It is hard to feel sorry for a dude making that kind of jack, even if he never plays a down for the team. I mean, I'm sure he works hard at rehab and we all hope he comes through for us, but at the end of the day, even if his dreams are shattered, he's still a millionaire. :rolleyes:

PapaL

Loose Screw
SheTexan said:
Only in the world of sports would someone get paid for doing nothing. (not counting politics:) )
SheTexan said:
I had an on the job injury where I wrecked my knee, shoulder, and elbow. I was out of work for almost a year. I got paid 50% of my base salary.
So you must work in the world of sports or politics? He also suffered an on the job injury, is him making $2M any reason to hate on the guy?

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
LCROD said:
So you must work in the world of sports or politics? He also suffered an on the job injury, is him making $2M any reason to hate on the guy?

Don't believe any of his injuries were "on the job." Maybe the second year. I'll have to research that. I DO NOT hate the guy! What do I have to hate?? I've never seen him play a down in the NFL! I just didn't like the article. I hope the guy comes back next year healthy and proves to be the next Tony Gonzales or A. Gates!:) :texflag:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
SheTexan said:
I am truly not trying to be ugly. I had an on the job injury where I wrecked my knee, shoulder, and elbow. I was out of work for almost a year. I got paid 50% of my base salary. I am not trying to place judgement on Benny either. I read the same article as the rest of you and I didn't interpret it the same way. He came across as poor pitiful Benny, it "hurts because fans are disappointed!!" Probably not Benny's fault either that Megan Manfull made him sound like a whiney *** who sits in his living room all alone feeling sorry for himself because Texan fans might not like him, all while padding his bank account and playing games. Heck, I think I am just jealous! I should have been born a man!:rolleyes:

In a nutshell: IF he ever comes back, which I seriously doubt he will, I will support him the same way I support all our Texan players. Only in the world of sports would someone get paid for doing nothing. (not counting politics:) )
He sounds like a stand up guy to me. I hate to see good fans dogging our injured players.
Joppru quote from Chronicle said:
"The worst part is you feel like you let people down, whether they say it or not," he said. "They think I'm trying to get hurt. That's what hurts the most, when people look at you like, 'You're not really hurt. You're not this. You're not that.' They don't say it. It's just in their eyes.

"Some people have doubts, like whether or not I was the right pick. Who knows? Are they disappointed in me right now? I'd have to say, yeah. I don't blame them for being disappointed, but it hurts."

Frills

Waterboy
If you want to criticize someone about their decisions or abilities, fine.

Draw the line at criticizing someone because of an injury. Rehab after a surgury is one of the most painful and depressing things an athlete can go through. Grueling days of working a machine, breaking down scar tissue that formed, forcing the joint to the point it feels like it could snap at any minute.

Its not fun, and the physical rehab doesn't compare to the mental stress.

Great article, Benny is busting his hindparts, the least some could do is show some damn respect.

stevo3883

Rookie
Frills said:
If you want to criticize someone about their decisions or abilities, fine.

Draw the line at criticizing someone because of an injury. Rehab after a surgury is one of the most painful and depressing things an athlete can go through. Grueling days of working a machine, breaking down scar tissue that formed, forcing the joint to the point it feels like it could snap at any minute.

Its not fun, and the physical rehab doesn't compare to the mental stress.

Great article, Benny is busting his hindparts, the least some could do is show some damn respect.

ok im all for not bashing injured people, but come on...

its not like the guy is fighting cancer or something. he tore his ACL, ive done it, im sure many others have too.

I had to do all the stuff he is doing, while also in school and working. All he has to do now is heal up, sure its hard to begin to trust your knee again, but its not nearly as terrible as you make it sound.

im just not really sure why there is an article on him, he got injured and it prevented him from ever playing in the nfl. thats not a rare story, at all. for every 1 David Carr, there are probably 100 Bennie Jopprus, ours just happened to cost us a 2nd round pick.

oh well, its time to move on. lets go after a TE in the offseason and see if we can solidify the position after 4 years.