Good Carr article on ESPN

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Second Honeymoon, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2931784&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

very balanced and is probably the first national article I have read about the whole Carr situation that seems to have had any research done on it. It comes across as being both sympathetic to Carr's situation while with the Texans while being critical of him and his shortcomings. Good read.

This quote from Carr is very indicting of the Texans brass. When asked about why the Texans drafted Mario Williams he said:

ouch :( sometimes the truth hurts

I hope Mario reads that quote before every game. Mario's locker needs to have stuff like this pasted all over his locker. He needs some fire.

TexanSam and Ryan like this.
  2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Very good article. At times it makes me feel bad for the guy, but he didn't step up like the article says. After 5 years and crap talent to play with though, I'm guessing even if the best of QB's were in the same situation they may have had the same mindset. After reading this article it makes me wonder how good Carr could have been had he had decent coaches from the beginning. What if Kubiak had gotten the job instead of Capers?

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Great article and good find SH.. I agree, the article was a pretty fair and balanced analysis.

On another note, I lurked over at one of the Carolina message boards and didn't see anything about the article....
    :hmmm:

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I wish Carr all the best with Carolina. :)

Interesting note about McNair asking candidates how they would use Bush. Is that substantiated or just speculation? To ask such a question but fail to seal the deal on RB just seems strange to me.

p.s.

Another strange quote. He was here. He knew about the holdout and how McNair felt about it. It wasn't that long ago. It seems peculiar to bring up the topic in an article devoted to Carr and his mechanics and new team.

5. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

that really is a sad story. We often don't even think about the players as people. I wish him all the best in Carolina and hope he does well as long as he isn't playing us.

6. petedy

petedy Veteran

It is a very good article about how inept Capers and Casserly were for the Texans.I guess Andre was right when he said Carr wasn't taught anything until Kubiak got there.Also the article refers to how Kubiak mislead McNair about his feelings of Carr and how he would use Reggie Bush.Kubiak also mislead Sage about taking control of the team when David was released.The article also showed the friction between Kubiak and Carr.Kubiak's intention was all along planning to unload Carr but played him one season so he could tell McNair he tried to work with Carr but that Carr was to far gone from all the sacks he took and couldn't fix him.

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I see many different things

1. Mechanics are really important if your OL stinks .

2. Do not draft a QB first if your head coach is defensive minded .

3. Do not draft a QB and throw him into the fire ... that's what Kent Graham was for .

4. I think being to good natured can be a bad thing in sports .

5. It's that believing what you see and knowing your great that seperates QBs ... that he did'nt have or it was knocked out of him .

6. I think Bush would have helped but he would have taken a pounding also . Carr was not good at getting the ball where a player gets it on the run in space .

8. Honoring Earl 34

You give Kubiak a lot of credit .

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

good dude...lousy QB. I hope he gets it together. He has all the body you want in a NFL QB.

10. Honoring Earl 34

indifference , the lack of emotion, motivation, or enthusiasm; a psychological term for a state of indifference .

I guess it was time for a break .

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak had all the right answers. Kubiak even told McNair he was sure the Texans could win a Super Bowl with Carr as their quarterback. So McNair picked up Carr's $8 million option."
    Excellect story in general, but I would take exception with this critical segment of the authors account of how it all went down.
    Kubiak may have said he could win with Carr because he realized that's what McNair wanted to hear rather than a frank opinion, but I tend to agree with the version that says McNair had a predisposition about what call to make on Carr's option and didn't make it on the basis of Kubiaks opinion.

Vinny likes this.
  12. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

No he wasn't. He's admitted that he never worked out in the off season unless he had to in mini or training camps.

13. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I agree.

Great article.

One thing that some people said before his release and I'm starting to see a little of now in his quotes is a little immaturity. You can tell he enjoys throwing out the zingers, etc and I think he still skirts some of his own responsibility. Overall though I hope we are all in better shape.

14. real

real Guest

I've let my feelings about this situation be known for a while:

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It's noteworthy that (according to this guy's source), Carr maintained his demeanor, and yet the perception of that demeanor changed.

And the quote from Winston is really why I cut Carr some slack. The game of football is so team-oriented and intertwined that no one player can affect the game to the degree that Carr would have had to. The team around him was a combination of bad and injured, and Carr took it all with style.

Yeah, he has his lumps, and he certainly doesn't have his mind right. But I always think back to that first season and remember the throws he would make and try, and those things were just beaten out of him over the years. The Texans are more responsible for where DC is right now (mentally) than he is, IMO. That doesn't change where he is, however.

Runner likes this.
  16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Pretty mild zingers, if you ask me. He has a lot of legitimate complaints with the team, just as the team had with him. I think he is remarkably restrained, but I guess for those that hate all things Carr, that would be indifference again. Immaturity if he says anything, indifference if he doesn't.

My opinion is the early sacks hurt Carr, and his reactions to them hurt himself even more. He couldn't mentally overcome the past as the team improved.

There were many things I thought he could done, especially while the Capers crew was still here and Carr was still the golden boy, even with the fans. I thought this is where his lack of "leadership" showed itself. When the plays started getting repetitive and simple at the end of 2004, he should have changed them in the huddle. Lots of players would have supported that. When Pendry gave Riley the left tackle job in 2005, Carr should have demanded a change. Everyone could see Riley wasn't up to it on the field, although Pendry liked wielding the power. The players aren't blind; when Riley was on pace to give up 28 sacks or whatever after the first 2-3 games and still starting, they probably realized Palmer wasn't the problem coach. That season went into the tank, early and deep.

There are a lot of players on the Texans who think "why Mario". They just won't throw a teammate under the bus. Dunta may have said a few things about Carr, but generally the team has been more restrained.

Double Barrel likes this.
  17. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Holy crap.

18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I can sum all this up in two words.

Carr's garbage.

:gun:

19. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

So I guess we can count on an extra 500 yards from Andre this year, just as a baseline. Other improvements in the offense should net even more. I can't wait!

20. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Someone posted this link in the comments section of the ESPN article:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0

(I hope it was someone from this board.)

Now I'm pumped for the season!

When's Training Camp? lol