Going for it on 4th down

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by keyser, Nov 13, 2006.

?

Should the Texans have gone for it on 4th down?

1. Yes. Trust the offense to put the game away in 1 play.

37 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. No - punt it. Trust the defense to hold them like they have most of the afternoon.

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

Obviously, in hindsight the call to go for it was good since they made it, but I'm wondering whether others think it was the right call, in that situation.

Did anyone else find it exactly like the situation in the Texas A&M-Oklahoma game a week and a half ago? One team (Oklahoma, Texans) was ahead, but the other team (Aggies, Jags) had a lot of momentum, needed the ball back for just one field goal, and had forced 4th down and short on the opponent's side of the field. Oklahoma went for it in that situation, getting the 1st down and ending the game, and the Texans did the same thing. I doubt Kubiak has time to watch Texas A&M games any more, but I wonder if that play was in his mind when he decided to go for it.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I thought it was a great call, and win or lose, I would have been behind Kubiak's decision. He basically told his team that the burden is on them to win the game by moving the ball forward a few inches. If they couldn't do that, then maybe they didn't deserve a win. They responded to the gut check, and having the belief of the head coach in them will pay dividends down the road.

It was a breath of fresh air to see a play-to-win mentality on our sideline. I got sick and tired of the play-not-to-lose routine, so as fans, we just have to realize that our head coach is a risk-taker.

3. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Let me preface this by saying I didn't watch the game -- I was in Cowgirl country, this weekend -- so I don't really have a feel for the momentum or the flow of the game at that point. I followed the second half on the internet which obviously doesn't really give you a feel for things.

That said, given the yardage and time remaining, my choice probably would have been to punt it. Of course Kubiak did not, we got the first, and we looked like heroes for it, and I do like that it showed a lot of confidence and guts in both your offense and, had it failed, your defense. I love those things and in some ways it's exciting, win or lose, simply because it wasn't Capersball. Having said that, the cautious numbers guy in me probably would have chosen to punt in that scenario; again, based on my limited knowledge of what had gone on at that point.

The MB is a much better place after a rousing W. No subliterate posts about David Carr sucks and is the cause of global warming, no Kubiak is an *****, no fire so and so. Just a much nicer place to be right now :)

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I was for the call without hindsight and would have been for it even if we had gotten stuffed. See my reasons for that in the recent thread on running the two minute drill at teh end of the first half.

If you want to instill a winning attitude, you have to start treating the players like winners (or at least competitors) at some point.

5. real

real Guest

Exactly....I knew Kubes was going to go for it as soon as we didn't make it on third down.....

We were 2-6 at that point.....What'd we have to lose ?

We were half a yard away from a win....He taught the team that if you want it go take it....and i loved it then and I'm especially loving it now...

6. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I guess I'm just too much of a wuzz. I would like to say that we should go for it, but... based on Houstons running game this season, I would not be able to bring myself to do anything other than a punt.

Solly, me a baaad fan :)

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I was screaming at the TV to go for it.

I watched the OU-A&M game and this was the exact same situation.

I have more faith that our offense can get 1 yd on 1 play (about a 70% chance) than that our defense can stop the Jags from scoring, especially since the short passing game was killing us in the 4th (about a 80% chance that they dont score a TD, but at least 50% chance that they get the field goal).

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

One word for Kubes and the Texans Offense: Stones!!

9. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Tough decision for me. I thought OU did the right thing against A&M by going for it since their rushing attack is so strong. I viewed their chance of making the first down as about 85-90% (they had a few inches to go). Even if A&M got the ball at the OU 30, there is no guarantee they would have gotten a score against OU's defense. So overall, I'd give OU about an a 90% chance of winning if they went for it. Whereas I thought A&M had roughly a 40% chance of getting a FG if OU punted the ball. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but it is still a gamble because of the media's perception.

As for the Texans, it was a different situation. We had about a half of a yard to go, and our run blocking has been suspect all year long. However, there is one major difference : a FG by Jacksonville would have merely tied it and sent it into OT. I like the guts of the call on the road against a winning team that had the momentum. I also like the fact that we didn't get fancy, but we just went after them. I give us about a 50/50 chance of getting the first. In both cases, I go for it and take control of my own destiny.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That maybe was what Kubiak was thinking as well.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

When your team is 2-6, what the heck. The team needed the coach's confidence. They finally got it.

12. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Since it worked, it was the right call.

If you had posted this poll before the play, I would have said PUNT.

13. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Exactly...

anyone remember the USC/Texas Rose Bowl and people second guessing Pete Carroll for going for it on 4th and 1/2 a yard. You get it, you win, you short it, and you are in trouble because of great field position.

If they don't get it, then the MB would run Kubiak out of town byproclaiming the defense shut them down most of the day.

I liked the play call, especially when you are 2-6 and really have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I think we pick up a lot of confidence and momentum with that play. First time in a long time where the team executed a play to win, even though it wasn't a td pass late or GW FG.

14. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

I would not gone for it. But then again, I'm wondering what the hell they are running a QB sneak with Sage when it is third and a full yard? QB sneaks generally are good calls when you come in for a measurement. It was too far for a sneak.

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

It was the right call by Carroll, but they just didn't execute. White had run all over Texas that night. There was only one other run all night that the Horns had held him for less than 4 yards. If I am Carroll, I go for the win and prevent Vince from seeing the field again. It backfired, but IMO it was still the "right" call for him to make. I (a Horn's fan) wanted them to punt it.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I thought we should have put it in Kris' capable hands and gone for the FG.

:pigfly:

Lucky likes this.
  17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Hehe, yep the 76-77 yard FG seems like a sure thing.

18. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

The only problem with that is that it would have been an 78 yard field goal my man. We were on our own 41 yard line.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Another lesser issue is that it's not like Stanley was gonna bust out with a 50 yd. punt.

20. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Rookie

I thought it was a good call with the time left they could have tied it even without timeouts. What surprised me was the play he ran!!
    He ran over Winston in the right tackle slot, and as I have said many times before this kid is a player. His push was so noticable that even the announcers commented on it. With Zach tearing his ACL we will see alot of this kid for the rest of the season and I am expecting good things from what I have seen and know of him.