Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Goat's Early April Mock

What's changed? Wells has moved up in my overall mock and doesn't project to be there. With the signing of Cody I don't think the Texans will feel pressed to take a DT early unless they're sure about him, which bumps Baker down on my draft list.

Wishful Thinking: Malcolm Jenkins
Round 1 pick 15 Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest 5090 193 4.45
Previously Chris Wells RB Ohio St. 6011 235 4.45

Game breaker.

Very good athlete, with excellent quickness and closes on the play fast. Some of the best instincts I've seen in a college player. Has great hands, and plays the ball like a receiver. Dangerous with the ball in his hands returning INTs or kicks. Has excellent technique and footwork with smooth hips. Very good in his backpedal. Very physical for a corner his size, and is decent in run support. A complete player who is ready to step in immediately.

Played in 51 games amassing 188 tackles, 40 passes defensed, and 21 ints in 4 seasons. 15 INTs in his last two years. Had 3 INTs in 3 practices at the Senior Bowl.

NFL Comparison: Dre Bly

Round 2 pick 14 Rashad Johnson FS Alabama 5112 205 4.50

An outstanding team leader who plays like a coach on the field. Reads plays quickly. Has great instincts and ball skills that make him a play maker in pass defense. A solid tackler who will support the run. Very smart and a hard worker.

Played in 27 games the past 2 seasons with 183 tackles, 19 passes defensed, and 11 INTs.

NFL Comparison: OJ Atogwe

Round 3 pick 13 Michael Hamlin SS Clemson 6020 215 4.55
Previously Chris Baker DT Hampton 6020 326 5.00

Another team leader with a high football IQ, who plays smart and makes a lot of plays. Has excellent hands and ball skills that combine with his instincts to result in a lot of INTs. A good tackler who does a great job supporting the run.

Played in 26 games the last 2 seasons with 207 tackles, 16 passes defensed and 10 INTs.

Round 4 pick 12 Javon Ringer RB Michigan St. 5091 205 4.45

An excellent spell back to Steve Slaton who brings many of the same abilities, while still offering a different skill set. Ringer is smallish, but runs hard, and low behind his pads making him difficult to bring down. He's quick, with outstanding change of direction and balance, but lacks that extra gear. He has good hands, and is a more dangerous weapon in the passing game than he was able to show in college. He may be rising past this point after his monster pro day, where he blew away NFL scouts by destroying the agility drills, but I think his injury history will have him available here.

Played in 26 games the last 2 seasons with 635 carries for 3084 yards, 4.8 ypc and 28 TDs.

Round 4 pick 22 Gerald McRath OLB/ILB Southern Miss 6017 231 4.60

A solid athlete with a lot of upside. Has room to get bigger without losing his agility. Very productive in college. Not a big hitter, but does a good job of wrapping up and dragging the ball carrier down. Does a good job of reading the QB's eyes in coverage. Reads plays quickly and isn't fooled by misdirection. Has shown that he can be aggressive and take on blockers when he wants to. Is versatile and can play any linebacker position in a 4-3.

Played in 26 games the last 2 seasons, with 276 tackles, 21.5 TFL, and 6 sacks.

Round 5 pick 16 Roy Miller DT Texas 6012 310 5.10

Big strong DT who could still get bigger. Has a none stop motor, and brings everything he has. Is really strong at the point of attack, and could be a situational run defender in Bush's attacking defense.

Played in 13 games in 2008 producing 49 tackles, 11 TFL, and 5.5 sacks.

Round 6 pick 15 DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin 6016 236 4.55

Smart guy who is a leader on defense. Has good range that he uses well to stick with TEs in coverage, and chase down ball carriers. Solid form tackler. Very physical player who will fight it out at the line.

Played in 39 games the last 3 seasons with 193 tackles, 14 sacks, and 2 INTs.

Round 7 Pick 14 Sebastian Vollmer OT Houston 6075 312 5.10

Huge athletic tackle with good strength, and upside to match his size.

What's changed? Wells has moved up in my overall mock and doesn't project to be there. With the signing of Cody I don't think the Texans will feel pressed to take a DT early unless they're sure about him, which bumps Baker down on my draft list.

Wishful Thinking: Malcolm Jenkins
Round 1 pick 15 Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest 5090 193 4.45
Previously Chris Wells RB Ohio St. 6011 235 4.45

Game breaker.

Very good athlete, with excellent quickness and closes on the play fast. Some of the best instincts I've seen in a college player. Has great hands, and plays the ball like a receiver. Dangerous with the ball in his hands returning INTs or kicks. Has excellent technique and footwork with smooth hips. Very good in his backpedal. Very physical for a corner his size, and is decent in run support. A complete player who is ready to step in immediately.

Played in 51 games amassing 188 tackles, 40 passes defensed, and 21 ints in 4 seasons. 15 INTs in his last two years. Had 3 INTs in 3 practices at the Senior Bowl.

NFL Comparison: Dre Bly

Round 2 pick 14 Rashad Johnson FS Alabama 5112 205 4.50

An outstanding team leader who plays like a coach on the field. Reads plays quickly. Has great instincts and ball skills that make him a play maker in pass defense. A solid tackler who will support the run. Very smart and a hard worker.

Played in 27 games the past 2 seasons with 183 tackles, 19 passes defensed, and 11 INTs.

NFL Comparison: OJ Atogwe

Round 3 pick 13 Michael Hamlin SS Clemson 6020 215 4.55
Previously Chris Baker DT Hampton 6020 326 5.00

Another team leader with a high football IQ, who plays smart and makes a lot of plays. Has excellent hands and ball skills that combine with his instincts to result in a lot of INTs. A good tackler who does a great job supporting the run.

Played in 26 games the last 2 seasons with 207 tackles, 16 passes defensed and 10 INTs.

Round 4 pick 12 Javon Ringer RB Michigan St. 5091 205 4.45

An excellent spell back to Steve Slaton who brings many of the same abilities, while still offering a different skill set. Ringer is smallish, but runs hard, and low behind his pads making him difficult to bring down. He's quick, with outstanding change of direction and balance, but lacks that extra gear. He has good hands, and is a more dangerous weapon in the passing game than he was able to show in college. He may be rising past this point after his monster pro day, where he blew away NFL scouts by destroying the agility drills, but I think his injury history will have him available here.

Played in 26 games the last 2 seasons with 635 carries for 3084 yards, 4.8 ypc and 28 TDs.

Round 4 pick 22 Gerald McRath OLB/ILB Southern Miss 6017 231 4.60

A solid athlete with a lot of upside. Has room to get bigger without losing his agility. Very productive in college. Not a big hitter, but does a good job of wrapping up and dragging the ball carrier down. Does a good job of reading the QB's eyes in coverage. Reads plays quickly and isn't fooled by misdirection. Has shown that he can be aggressive and take on blockers when he wants to. Is versatile and can play any linebacker position in a 4-3.

Played in 26 games the last 2 seasons, with 276 tackles, 21.5 TFL, and 6 sacks.

Round 5 pick 16 Roy Miller DT Texas 6012 310 5.10

Big strong DT who could still get bigger. Has a none stop motor, and brings everything he has. Is really strong at the point of attack, and could be a situational run defender in Bush's attacking defense.

Played in 13 games in 2008 producing 49 tackles, 11 TFL, and 5.5 sacks.

Round 6 pick 15 DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin 6016 236 4.55

Smart guy who is a leader on defense. Has good range that he uses well to stick with TEs in coverage, and chase down ball carriers. Solid form tackler. Very physical player who will fight it out at the line.

Played in 39 games the last 3 seasons with 193 tackles, 14 sacks, and 2 INTs.

Round 7 Pick 14 Sebastian Vollmer OT Houston 6075 312 5.10

Huge athletic tackle with good strength, and upside to match his size.

Not bad I wouldnt be upset with this draft. I would rather have D Butler at 15 than Alphonso Smith. IMO he is the second best DB in this draft. I know a lot of people will dissagree with me on tht one. :brando:

I really like the idea of taking a cornerback first. However, if it is going to be Alphonso Smith, he can probably be had later in the first round. If he is going to be the pick, then the Texans should really trade down a bit and pick him up a bit later, like they did with Duane Brown last year. That would also add at least one more draft pick, possibly enabling the Texans to spend more resources on the secondary as you have suggested.

I like Smith, play maker CB. Roy Miller impressed the hell out of me, and fits the NT position. Solid mock.

Not bad I wouldnt be upset with this draft. I would rather have D Butler at 15 than Alphonso Smith. IMO he is the second best DB in this draft. I know a lot of people will dissagree with me on tht one. :brando:

I'm not against Butler, but I think he has some holes in his game. He lets receivers get too much separation, and never seems to make real impact plays. In 4 years of college he has 19 passes defensed, and 7 INTs. Smith had 40 PD and 21 INTs over the same period, with 4 TDs. He also forced 7 fumbles.

Something the defense didn't do enough of last year was force turnovers. That's something that Smith, Johnson, and Hamlin would quickly rectify. Those 3 guys combined for 18 INTs last year. Those type of plays can change the course of a season.

I'm just not a big back-end guy, too heavy there for my liking not a particularly strong draft class in area.

I really like Smith and if we are gonna take a corner, a "pure corner" and not a watered down version who dosen't have to play a lot of man-coverage most of the time, Smith is my top pick for a CB. OK he's short, but I'll take his superior speed and athleticism over the taller Jenkins.
Now if they want a more versitle defensive back who can play some corner but the Texans are using the less demanding Cover 2 type scheme and a guy who can also play some FS, then Jenkins is the choice (if the 2 would somehow both be available).

Man, I would be thrilled with that! The problem we're getting to in the 1st round are "guys that slip to us" vs. "nobody worth the 15th". There's a whole slew of guys that fans think would be better if we trade down and only a couple players that we're hoping slip to us. The problem arises when we CAN'T trade down, we'll be forced to take a player at 15 that everyone would rather see at 25... be that Alphonso Smith, Clay Matthews, etc.

This would solve our secondary problem once and for all... that's for sure.

I think this is a great draft to complete the secondary but so much is left by the wayside in doing so I don't know that it would be worth it. Ringer not the correct choice either, we need more size at backup RB...a goalline/short yardage type. I like both S and think they would be starting by year's end but the Smith pick I just can't swallow. If we looked at LB Matthews, Laraunitis or if Jenkins slips, or hell I'd rather have Wells or Moreno there instead of reaching for a CB. So to completely cherry pick your draft:
1. Matthews (I can't help myself anymore. It's automatic, sorry)
2. Johnson FS
3. Hamlin SS
4. Gartrell Johnson RB
4a. CB Here, a few guys fit the mold of CB that Smithiak takes
5-7 I like. Maybe I would go after Oline depth before I went after another OLB or Dline depth (Miller) but these guys are projects no matter what and I like who you went after.

Interesting mock going for DB's in first 3 rds. I would go for a larger punishing RB however. Overall not to bad.

I think this is a great draft to complete the secondary but so much is left by the wayside in doing so I don't know that it would be worth it. Ringer not the correct choice either, we need more size at backup RB...a goalline/short yardage type. I like both S and think they would be starting by year's end but the Smith pick I just can't swallow. If we looked at LB Matthews, Laraunitis or if Jenkins slips, or hell I'd rather have Wells or Moreno there instead of reaching for a CB. So to completely cherry pick your draft:
2. Johnson FS
3. Hamlin SS
4. Gartrell Johnson RB
5-7 I like. Maybe I would go after Oline depth before I went after another OLB or Dline depth (Miller) but these guys are projects no matter what and I like who you went after.

He is the guy I would sub for Ringer in Goat's mock.

Goat, what do you think about Darius Butler or Vontae Davis? I think this mock draft is another example of why we must trade down, even if we can only get 80 cents on the dollar. If we trade down into the late first and pickup a second, or a third and fourth, it will allow us to address the interior line... something we MUST do!

I like your mock, but we'd be going into minicamp with Chris White and Kasey Studdard as our primary backups inside... not to mention the fact that Pitts is scheduled to become a FA after '09 and we have a ton of contracts coming up at the same time.

I'm not against Butler, but I think he has some holes in his game. He lets receivers get too much separation, and never seems to make real impact plays. In 4 years of college he has 19 passes defensed, and 7 INTs. Smith had 40 PD and 21 INTs over the same period, with 4 TDs. He also forced 7 fumbles.

Something the defense didn't do enough of last year was force turnovers. That's something that Smith, Johnson, and Hamlin would quickly rectify. Those 3 guys combined for 18 INTs last year. Those type of plays can change the course of a season.

I totally dissagree with youre assesment of Butler. Stats can be decieving. Most teams stayed away from him because he was such a playmaker. Everytime I watched Butler he made big plays. Dont get me wrong I like A Smith too I just think Butler is better and has better tools to work with.

Goat, what do you think about Darius Butler or Vontae Davis? I think this mock draft is another example of why we must trade down, even if we can only get 80 cents on the dollar. If we trade down into the late first and pickup a second, or a third and fourth, it will allow us to address the interior line... something we MUST do!

I like your mock, but we'd be going into minicamp with Chris White and Kasey Studdard as our primary backups inside... not to mention the fact that Pitts is scheduled to become a FA after '09 and we have a ton of contracts coming up at the same time.

No team in their right mind is going to give up a 2nd round pick just to trade up a few spots. We'll be lucky to even get a 3rd round pick with a trade down in this year's draft. It's a very weak year for 1st round talent.

No team in their right mind is going to give up a 2nd round pick just to trade up a few spots. We'll be lucky to even get a 3rd round pick with a trade down in this year's draft. It's a very weak year for 1st round talent.
Sometimes that can actually work in our favor. If the supply of 1st round talent is low and one slips to us, there may be a huge gap between him and the next player on that teams board. Strictly from a supply/demand standpoint it could help.

With that said, I think more teams are willing to trade down this draft because of that. So a team could get into negotiations and not pay as much for the move. Overall, I think there will be less teams looking to trade up, less players available that are exactly who they want so the phone may be quiet.

Sometimes that can actually work in our favor. If the supply of 1st round talent is low and one slips to us, there may be a huge gap between him and the next player on that teams board. Strictly from a supply/demand standpoint it could help.

With that said, I think more teams are willing to trade down this draft because of that. So a team could get into negotiations and not pay as much for the move. Overall, I think there will be less teams looking to trade up, less players available that are exactly who they want so the phone may be quiet.

Didn't really think about that. Good point.

I really like the idea of taking a cornerback first. However, if it is going to be Alphonso Smith, he can probably be had later in the first round. If he is going to be the pick, then the Texans should really trade down a bit and pick him up a bit later, like they did with Duane Brown last year. That would also add at least one more draft pick, possibly enabling the Texans to spend more resources on the secondary as you have suggested.

I think as long as we stay in front of NE at 23 we have a pretty good shot at him. There's a line starting with them and continuing for the next few picks that could take a corner if their bigger needs aren't available.

I'm just not a big back-end guy, too heavy there for my liking not a particularly strong draft class in area.

I kept trying to find a spot to fit a pass rusher like Sidbury, but the 2nd seemed too high, and the 3rd too late. If he was there in the 3rd I'd strongly consider him. I think a great secondary like this will improve the front seven. We had very few/no coverage sacks last season, and having guys that scare QBs away from making risky throws is going to make them hold onto the ball longer. Mario was a split second away from having 25 sacks, and Okoye was just one step away a dozen+ times.

Of course I'm one of the few who thinks we're solid at all our starting LB spots, and just need depth.

2. Johnson FS
3. Hamlin SS
4. Gartrell Johnson RB

Interesting mock going for DB's in first 3 rds. I would go for a larger punishing RB however. Overall not to bad.

I haven't been impressed with the power backs after Wells and Greene. I think Ringer is a guy who just has a nose for the end zone. 22 TDs in 2008. He's a lot like Dom Davis, or Priest Holmes in that he can break the arm tackles, or just squirt through that little crack and slip in for the score. We have to get a guy who could be a starter if Slaton goes down, and I don't feel confident that the day 2 powerbacks can be effective as the feature back the way Ringer would.

A big bruiser would be great, but I don't think we can fix all of our needs in one draft. Unfortunately something is going to get left out.

Butler in coverage is a more athletic, but sloppy version of Alphonso Smith. His fundamentals aren't as polished as Smith, and he needs to improve on his backpedal technique. He has good hands/ball skills, but doesn't do the best job of getting in position to use those abilities. He sticks to his man most of the time, but will sometimes lose focus and let his guy get too much separation. He's not as physical as Smith at the line, or in run support, but he will still make the effort to tackle the ball carrier, even if not highly effective at it.

If he gets with a good coaching staff he could really developer into a good pro. If he goes somewhere with poor coaching he's just going to be exposed and waste all of his talent.

Davis is a guy I liked in 2007, and watched him early in the year. After a couple of games in '08 he just really didn't strike me as a good football player, and he seemed to have regressed. Instead of working hard to improve his core skill set he just tries to get by on athletic ability. Sure he has almost everything you look for athletically (except the T-Rex arms), and is really strong for a corner, but there's more to being a corner than strength and speed. He's physical within 5 yards of the line, and could end up better than Jenkins in run support. He doesn't seem to have great awareness, and his ball skills are just ok. He doesn't always give his best effort, and will quit on some plays that he doesn't think he can make(but probably could if he went 100%). He will often let a guy get past him and end up chasing the play instead of being in the middle of it. In other words he gets burned.

Then there is his attitude. He has clashed with coaches over his effort, and he has a big ego that makes him hard to teach. I think he can be a good corner, but he's almost as likely to be a bum like his worthless kin.

I agree that we need some more depth in the middle, and a more physical starting center would be great, but we only have so many picks. There's a good chance we trade down in the first and still get Smith, while picking up a couple of day 2 picks where there's O-line depth(Maybe a 4th and 6th from Detroit). I don't project trades in my mocks though since it's pretty much impossible.

I love both your first 2 picks. Alphonso Smith looks to be a good one. Saw a piece on him saying in college he actually sat in on QB meetings to see what the QB's looked for on tape.

I honestly think we are looking at bigger backs to draft. Not sure Ringer fits into that. But, you never know...

I love both your first 2 picks. Alphonso Smith looks to be a good one. Saw a piece on him saying in college he actually sat in on QB meetings to see what the QB's looked for on tape.

I honestly think we are looking at bigger backs to draft. Not sure Ringer fits into that. But, you never know...

Definitely agree on Smith. You see a lot of corners who watch the QB to try and find out what he's going to do, but at times Smith just seems to already know. I also love the way he often runs the route better than the receiver he's covering.

I think the Texans would love to have a bigger back, but unless they take one early or spend multiple picks I don't see one that I would want starting as a rookie. That's why I went with Ringer. He could step in right away and give you everything Slaton does as a starter except his break away speed. The big backs in that range don't strike me as really dynamic, and teams will be able to shut them down more easily if they're the feature back.

I would be for the trade down that you suggested Goat. With the trade down we probably would have our choice of A.Smith or Butler. I would prefer Butler but would be OK with Smith.

With th extra 4th & 6th we could draft Ringer & G. Johnson & a OLB or P with the 6th.

I would love to get G.Johnson & believe he will be available in the 5th.

The punter we can get late is Dustin Colquitt, he is from the punting family of Colquitts from Tennesee.

I would be for the trade down that you suggested Goat. With the trade down we probably would have our choice of A.Smith or Butler. I would prefer Butler but would be OK with Smith.

With th extra 4th & 6th we could draft Ringer & G. Johnson & a OLB or P with the 6th.

I would love to get G.Johnson & believe he will be available in the 5th.

The punter we can get late is Dustin Colquitt, he is from the punting family of Colquitts from Tennesee.

I forgot Detroit traded their 4th to Dallas this year. Whoops. :gun:

Not a huge fan of spending your 1st 3 picks on a weak class of DBs. I like the Alphonso Smith pick, I even like the Rashad Johnson pick, but getting Hamlin in the 3rd is just overkill.

The coaches are high on Domonique Barber and we just resigned Nick Ferguson. That pick would be better used on a RB/C/DE/OLB imo.

Otherwise, good mock!!!

Not a huge fan of spending your 1st 3 picks on a weak class of DBs. I like the Alphonso Smith pick, I even like the Rashad Johnson pick, but getting Hamlin in the 3rd is just overkill.

The coaches are high on Domonique Barber and we just resigned Nick Ferguson. That pick would be better used on a RB/C/DE/OLB imo.

Otherwise, good mock!!!

If Sidbury is still hanging around in the 3rd I'd probably go with him over Hamlin. I see him going late second-early third though.

Chris Baker is still a possibility there, but they already have Okoye, Johnson, Cody, Robinson, and Okam, with Smith rotating inside on passing downs.

I see Brown, Greene, and maybe Jennings being gone by the time we pick. My next rated RB is Ringer who I took in the 4th.

Luigs is the only C I see going in the third. He got pushed around at the senior bowl, and lacks the kind of strength/power that everyone wants in the middle of the Texans line. I could see us taking him on his potential, but I don't think he'll be an immediate upgrade over Myers.

I don't know what the coaches saw in Barber that makes them happy, but I clearly missed it. Ferguson is a stop gap as a starter, and isn't strong in coverage, or much of a playmaker.

Otherwise, good mock!!!

thank you.

You are dead wrong about this. First of all, for a team to trade up 10-12 spots to #15, the chart says that we are getting about 20-50 points too little. Besides that, there is almost always someone in the middle of the first round that teams see as good value. Who expected Baltimore to trade up for Flacco last year? Odd are good, that a team will be enchanted with one of the three QBs still on the board, one of the top 3 RBs, a WR like Maclin or Bey, one of the OTs, or somebody else. We certainly will have an opportunity to get a reasonable deal. The question is whether we take it or not.

1. Smith, love this pick, possibly the best man cover CB in the draft along with Darius Butler. Great pick and gives us leverage with Dunta.
2. Johnson, love the player but question the pick since we've got Wilson as starting FS and the 2nd round is too early to be taking backups at any position.
3. Hamlin, love this pick, good SS especially in pass coverage which is what we need.
4. Ringer, ehhhhh, right position wrong player. I'd rather have James Davis but Ringers not a bad pick.
4. McRath, great pick but I doubt he's still available in the late 4th, super value if he still is though.
5. Miller, I don't know much about him but the little I've read is positive.
6. Levy, great pick and value if he's still available but I doubt he's still there in the 6th.
7. Vollmer, I don't know much about him but he definetly fills a need.

Overall very good draft but I think FS in the 2nd is to early for a backup and there's no interior O-line help. The 2nd or 3rd round would be a good place for a C/G. McRath and Levy would both be great picks if we could pull that off.

1. Smith, love this pick, possibly the best man cover CB in the draft along with Darius Butler. Great pick and gives us leverage with Dunta.
2. Johnson, love the player but question the pick since we've got Wilson as starting FS and the 2nd round is too early to be taking backups at any position.
3. Hamlin, love this pick, good SS especially in pass coverage which is what we need.
4. Ringer, ehhhhh, right position wrong player. I'd rather have James Davis but Ringers not a bad pick.
4. McRath, great pick but I doubt he's still available in the late 4th, super value if he still is though.
5. Miller, I don't know much about him but the little I've read is positive.
6. Levy, great pick and value if he's still available but I doubt he's still there in the 6th.
7. Vollmer, I don't know much about him but he definetly fills a need.

Overall very good draft but I think FS in the 2nd is to early for a backup and there's no interior O-line help. The 2nd or 3rd round would be a good place for a C/G. McRath and Levy would both be great picks if we could pull that off.

I think Wilson is just an ok starter who the Texans overpaid to keep. Last year was his first multiple INT year since 2004, and he came here after not being able to make the Bucs roster as their 5th corner. I think he would end up as Johnson's backup, and insurance in case of injury at safety/corner. At 29, on a three year deal without a lot of guaranteed money he's probably going to be cut in a year or two anyways. I'd rather grab a guy I think can be here playing at a Pro Bowl level for the next 7-10years while I have the opportunity.

Consensus Draft Services has the Texans taking Malcom Jenkins at #15 in their mock draft.

http://cdsdraft.com/

If the Texans cannot trade down and get someone like Smith, I hope that Jenkins is available and that the Texans take him at #15.

Back