Who is going to have the best season?

• Jimmy Smith

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Andre Johnson

Votes: 89 93.7%

• Total voters

Jagsbch

Waterboy
Jimmy Smith or Andre Johnson? Who is going to have the best season?

Andre 2003 16 66/976 14.8 46 4
Jimmy 2003 12 54/805 14.9 4
Andre 2004 6 33/591 17.9 54 4
Jimmy 2004 7 33/586 17.8 65 2

I'll think the Ol man will have a better season, and a better game tomorrow. :popcorn:

texan279

Hall of Fame
Don't forget Jimmy Smith has played in one more game this year and Johnson still has better stats. And the game is not tomorrow, it's on SUNDAY.

Jagsbch

Waterboy
Byron throws to more receivers than Carr thats why Jimmy has the same amount of receptions as Andre, even though he has had more games. Jags still don't have a legit #2 guy at this point so if anything that just makes Jimmy's stats that much more impressive. :cool:

You must not of watched any of our games, cause if so youd see that carr dows spread the ball around quite a bit. And johnnson has those great numbers because he is just that good He will finish with better stats than jimmy even though both should have great years !

texan279

Hall of Fame
Byron throws to more receivers than Carr thats why Jimmy has the same amount of receptions as Andre, even though he has had more games. Jags still don't have a legit #2 guy at this point so if anything that just makes Jimmy's stats that much more impressive.
That makes no sense, Byron throws to more receivers yet the Jags do not have a legit #2 guy? If the Jags do not have a legit #2 it seems to me that Byron would throw to him more instead of throwing to the #3 or lower WR. Carr has 4 legit threats at WR and all of our WR's have 200+ yards total so far this season.

TexanExile

A New Hope
texan279 said:
Carr has 4 legit threats at WR and all of our WR's have 200+ yards total so far this season.
And I think we're the only team in the NFL that can say that, right? It's pretty remarkable, only 6 games in.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
AJ will definately have better stats than Smith at seasons end. Maybe if you combined Smith and Wilfords #'s at seasons end then you'd have a legitimate question.

Jagsbch said:
Byron throws to more receivers than Carr thats why Jimmy has the same amount of receptions as Andre, even though he has had more games. Jags still don't have a legit #2 guy at this point so if anything that just makes Jimmy's stats that much more impressive. :cool:
I have watched every Texans game. The top 4 WR in the Texans offense could start on many teams. AJ is a #1 WR, Gaffney and Armstrong are #2 WR's. The only borderline #2 might be Bradford. IMHO. AJ will get more yards and TDs.

Jagsbch

Waterboy
texan279 said:
That makes no sense, Byron throws to more receivers yet the Jags do not have a legit #2 guy? If the Jags do not have a legit #2 it seems to me that Byron would throw to him more instead of throwing to the #3 or lower WR.
Here's how it works, most DC's double Jimmy virtually the whole game, thats pretty much been the story ever since Keenan left. They leave the rest of the pack of nobodies that Byron has to throw to one on one or in zone coverage. Byron is hitting 9-10 receivers a week.

Now that the players are getting dialed into the system Byron is able to utilize more of Bill Musgraves ingenious offense, as players are actually where they are supposed to be. This means Jimmy might see more single coverage in the future, as Byron is proving that all he needs is a body to throw too, not a #.

Ephram Sallaam, was picked up this season, he's a vet who's been around the block, he was even surprised at just how complicated our offensive game plan was. One of the reasons it's taken our offense so long to be a collective unit is because a lot of the players were not on the same page as Byron. It will be another year before we see, what this offense is actualy capable of IMO, this offense is still in second gear. :headbang:

The reason why I posted this thread is to show just how underrated one of the best WR's to ever play the game was, even to fans in his own division. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Jimmy Smith 2 7.14%
Andre Johnson 26 92.86%
Voters: 28.

lol:

Grid

All Pro
he isnt underrated :) He is worthy of the position he has.. #1 receiver for the Jags.. but he is not some diamond in the rough, he isnt a Moss.. he isnt an Owens.. he isnt a Ward.. and he surely isnt a Johnson.

As for your team spreading it around "so much more" ive already made posts on it.. and the numbers are not THAT MUCH greater than ours. You have hit more receivers.. but for the most part those extra receivers you hit have been for crappy yardage.

The most important stat is this. We have 9 receivers who average more than 10 yards per completion (most in the 15 area). you have 5 (most in the 10 and 11 area)

So.. yah.. you are throwing to ALL KINDS of receivers.. and getting negligable yardage.. we are only throwing to 10 receivers and getting first downs :P.

TexanExile

A New Hope
C'mon, bch, you've made some good posts around here and I've enjoyed seeing the game from your POV. But you can't seriously be surprised that a poll at HOUSTONTEXANS.COM turns out that way, right? And it doesn't mean we don't respect Jimmy.

Remember the question you asked. I know how good Jimmy is. I still think Andre's going to blow him out this season. Nothing to do with respect.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Jagsbch is a world-class homer guys. Frankly, he is the Mother of all homers so get used to it. He will see everything thru teal colored glasses.

As for my opinion...

I think Jimmy Smith is a borderline hall of famer, but I think AJ is very special and Smith is very old. Do the math.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS

Hall of Fame
bottom line is Jimmy Smith is 35 and wont get any better

Andre Johnson is 23 and hasnt even reached his full potential yet

but that is all a moot point since AJ is already better than Jimmy Smith ever was

Vinny

shiny happy fan
STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
but that is all a moot point since AJ is already better than Jimmy Smith ever was
I don't think I'd go that far just yet. In 1999 Smith had 116 catches for 1636 yards (14.1 ypc) and 86 first downs. He has around 11 thousand yards in his career. He may end up in the HOF before his career ends.

JDizzle

I'm a dude
Andre Johnson is also doubled nearly every route he runs. Most - if not all - of his highlight reel circus catches have been in double coverage. I have much respect for Jimmy Smith but Andre Johnson is clearly the better receiver this season (so far).

Hey, if it means anything to you, Fred Taylor is better than Jonathan Wells :yap

RunninRaven

Practice Squad
Whatever disadvantage Jimmy Smith battles from not having a legit #2 WR is at least equaled by the Texans having no recognizable ground threat. Davis has been sub par this season, Hollings has been hurt and Wells has overachieved, but is still average. Teams KNOW our offense has to do the majority of our damage in the air.

And while Fred Taylor hasn't been wracking up the yards so far this season, I guarantee you opposing defenses still gameplan against him. No one worries much about Jonathon Wells.

Rosusu

Rookie
I think they will both have a great seasons. AJ will have a better year though. Its just that simple, he is still getting better with every game. I dont see jimmy getting any better throughout the season.

Jagsbch

Waterboy
Jaguars have 1 WR in the top 50 WR's in the 20+ Yards catagory; Texans have 3.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort...ar?&_1:col_1=10

Player Team Rec/Yds Lng TDs 20+ 40+
1. Javon Walker GB 41/726 79 6 11 5
2. Jimmy Smith JAC 33/586 65 2 11 3
3. Andre Johnson TX 33/591 54 4 10 2
4. Terrell Owens PHI 34/596 55 8 9 6
20. Jabar Gaffney TX 17/237 30 2 6
40. Derick Armstrong TX 16/249 35 1 5

Jagsbch

Waterboy
I guess one could easily get that interpretation by looking at this stat. One thing is for sure Texans have 2 legit #2 guys who pose a deep threat, while the Jags on the other hand do not. This pretty much ties into my argument of why Jimmy's stats are much more impressive than Johnsons. Did I mention that Jimmy was old enough to be Andres Daddy. :rofl:

Beastlyman2003

Waterboy
Hey Jagsbch, Why post this? You make yourself seem incompetant in asking the question," Whos better, Andre OR Jommy?" NO CONTEST! Just ask ANYONE WHO WATCHES THE GREAT GAME OF FOOTBALL. Andre in a landslide.

texan279

Hall of Fame
That makes no sense. You are saying we have 2 legit #2 WR's and that is why Smith has better numbers. Don't you think Johnson would get LESS balls thrown his way with 3 other LEGIT THREATS at WR? You have no argument here. Smith is the only decent WR you guys have so he will get a lot of balls thrown to him, as for us we have 4 threats at WR and the ball is spread. Why don't you even post this on the Jags MB and see who gets the most votes...

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Beastlyman2003 said:
Hey Jagsbch, Why post this? You make yourself seem incompetant in asking the question," Whos better, Andre OR Jommy?" NO CONTEST!
Nah, he is just more fair than you guys want to believe. He is a total homer but he isn't blind. I've read Jagsbsch for years. He is total-jag, but he can be reasonable....in a strange, homer-laden way.

Jagsbch

Waterboy
texan279 said:
That makes no sense. You are saying we have 2 legit #2 WR's and that is why Smith has better numbers. Don't you think Johnson would get LESS balls thrown his way with 3 other LEGIT THREATS at WR? You have no argument here. Smith is the only decent WR you guys have so he will get a lot of balls thrown to him, as for us we have 4 threats at WR and the ball is spread. Why don't you even post this on the Jags MB and see who gets the most votes...
Nothing more I'd rather do, but my hands are tied. They booted me off the official board when the season ended last year, guess they got tired of my homer antics. :confused:

You cannot leave Jimmy one on one, he is a DC's nightmare. :headbang: Jimmy gets doubled just about every snap he takes, because we don't have such as big of threat any where else in our WR core. If he is not open Byron will not throw it to him.

BTW Jimmy is 14 receptions away from passing James Lofton for #12 all time. :cool:

Jagsbch said:
Jaguars have 1 WR in the top 50 WR's in the 20+ Yards catagory; Texans have 3.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort...ar?&_1:col_1=10

Have the Jags had their bye week yet? Stats right now are off a little. Wait until after week 10 and see where the dust settles. I believe that having the pro-bowl voting while bye are happening also scews the perception a fan might have when voting. Nevertheless wait til week 10 or week 16 when we travel to Jax.

Jagsbch

Waterboy
texan279 said:
Are you saying we have better WR's?
74. Troy Edwards JAC 23/236 26 0 2
85. Corey Bradford TX 11/163 47 1 2 1
86. Darius Watts DEN 14/173 28 0 2
87. Ernest Wilford JAC 14/161 38 2 2
109. Keenan McCardell SD 1 5 65 23 0 1 0
117. Reggie Williams JAC 7 12 115 19 0 0 0
127. Devard Darling BAL 3 2 5 1.7 4 2.5 0 0 0
135. Rashaun Woods SF 6 2 35 18 1 0 0
136. Cortez Hankton JAC 3 4 35 14 2 0 0
139. Jerry Rice OAK 6 5 67 18 0 0 0
140. Jermaine Lewis JAC 6 1 4 4 0 0 0

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Get started eating your crow :hehe: ......... 20-6 Texans . SCOREBOARD is all that counts :hehe:

their stats for today

A.J. 9/74/0

J.S. 9/117/0

For the season .....

A.J 33/591/4 in SIX games

J.S 33/856/2 in SEVEN games

Jagsbch

Waterboy
:coolb: Looks like a tight race...
Player Team G Rec Yds Lng Avg TDs 20+ 40+
1.Andre Johnson 57/859 54 15.1 4 15 3
2.Jimmy Smith 51/841 65 16.5 3 14 3

Jagsbch

Waterboy
You wouldn't know it by this poll 4-71? Jimmy leads in every catagory but the poll. :rofl:
No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD :bguitar:
Johnson 73/1083 14.8 54 5 18 3 49
J. Smith 69/1133 16.4 65 6 19 4 50

TheOgre

All Pro
There is one fundamental reason for this discrepancy. Defenses are scared of Fred Taylor and will scheme to stop him AND Smith. Most of the defenses we face focus on shutting down AJ and dare DD to beat them. We basically face cover 2 defenses every week, even from teams that do not traditionally run that defense. Nobody bites on play-action passes. This results in a lack of big pass plays, particularly from our star receiver who is double-teamed most of the game.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
TheOgre said:
There is one fundamental reason for this discrepancy. Defenses are scared of Fred Taylor and will scheme to stop him AND Smith. Most of the defenses we face focus on shutting down AJ and dare DD to beat them. We basically face cover 2 defenses every week, even from teams that do not traditionally run that defense. Nobody bites on play-action passes. This results in a lack of big pass plays, particularly from our star receiver who is double-teamed most of the game.
I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that Carr is STILL running for his life. I don't see how we can judge AJ, based on his total catches, yds., etc. when Carr only has 2 seconds before he has to scramble.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Why are we arguing over which one of these guys is going to have a better year/career/game or which one is the better reciever. It's a comparison of one guy who's been doing this for years and another who's in his second season. Smith is a great reciever and I'm happy that people are saying Johnson can/will also be a great reciever. When AJ's played as long as Smith it will be time IMO to compare and contrast what they each did and talk about who was better. Right now one has had a great career (and is still having it) while the other's at the beginning of a promising career that shows signs that it could be great.