GM Ole Miss Texan's (unrealistic) Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ole Miss Texan, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

First off let me start by saying, I think there is a 0.01% chance of this happening - and that doesn't bother me one bit. IMO, this may NOT be the best thing for the long term success of the team, but would guarantee (barring key injuries) playoffs this year, no ifs ands or buts about it. Just thought I'd have some fun on this "lovely" saturday morning.

Offseason Happenings:
    Let Dunta Robinson walk (signed with ATL).
    Release: WR Andre Davis, Chris White, Ryan Moats, Frank Okam
    Re-signings: DT Deljuan Robinson, SS Bernard Pollard, LG Chester Pitts, LS Bryan Pittman
    FA Signings: Wade Smith C/G, Cory Redding DT

Dunta is self explanatory as is Wade Smith (provides quality depth, possible starter). White, Moats, Okam get beat out and there's no room for them. Davis gets replaced and is paid too much for what he contributes. Deljuan and Pitts provide quality depth at the very least, Pollard gets an extension and Pittman is our LS. Cory Redding signs with us to come back to his hometown Houston. Redding starts at DT and can rotate between DT/DE like Antonio Smith. We have to pressure the opposing QB.

Trades:
    Trade Jacoby Jones + 5th round pick to Carolina for Deangelo Williams.
    - Reasoning: Rick Smith has Marshall in mind and more importantly, we NEED a RB. Everyone knows Kubiak likes Deangelo, he would be a great fit here giving us a RB corps of Deangelo, Slaton and Foster. Hurts giving up Jacoby + a draft pick but this allows us to address another position early in the draft.

Trade 1st round pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall.
    - Reasoning: Marshall seems to be a bit of a headcase but he's a player. It seems that (a) he and Andre get along well, but I could be making that up and (b) he and Matt Schaub looked GREAT together in the Pro Bowl. I think Marshall's attitude would be in good form if he came to Houston. Although he wouldn't be #1, I think he would love to catch the ball from Schaub, play with Andre, and be on the #1 Offense in the league (I said it).

Draft:
    1st - pick used in trade to Denver for Brandon Marshall
    2nd - Mike Johnson LG Alabama
    3rd - Javier Arenas CB/KR/PR Alabama
    4th - Jay Ross DT East Carolina
    5th - pick used in trade with Carolina for Deangelo Williams
    6th - Brian Jackson CB/FS Oklahoma
    6th - Adam Ulatoski OT/OG Texas
    7th - James Starks RB Buffalo

Mike Johnson comes in and either sits behind Pitts a few games or starts at LG immediately. Javier Arenas is our nickle corner (Quin/Reeves start) and replaces Jacoby as our Returner, where he is excellent. Jay Ross is a DT that can contribute immediately in the rotation. Can hold up the run and pressure the QB. Jackson is the 2nd corner we take and primarily plays ST and sits behind Wilson. He will eventually take over at FS. Ulatoski is a versatile OLman that provides depth and replaces Studdard. Starks is "bigger" running back that sits on the practice squad during the season.

Depth Chart:
    QB: Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky
    RB: Deangelo Williams, Steve Slaton, Arian Foster
    FB: Vonta Leach
    WR: Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Kevin Walter, David Anderson, Glenn Martinez
    TE: Owen Daniels, Joel Dreessen, James Casey, Anthony Hill
    OT: Duane Brown, Eric Winston, Rashad Butler
    OG: Chester Pitts, Antoine Caldwell, Mike Johnson, Mike Brisiel, Adam Ulatoski
    C: Chris Myers, Wade Smith

DE: Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, Tim Bulman, Jesse Nading
    DT: Cory Redding, Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, Jay Ross, Deljuan Robinson
    LB: Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Zac Diles, Kevin Bentley, Xavier Adibi
    CB: Glover Quin, Jacques Reeves, Javier Arenas, Brice McCain, Antwaun Molden, Fred Bennett
    FS: Eugene Wilson, Brian Jackson
    SS: Bernard Pollard, Dominique Barber

K: Kris Brown
    P: Matt Turk
    LS: Bryan Pittman
    KR/PR: Javier Arenas

Practice Squad: Jeremiah Johnson, James Starks, Mark Parson, Adam Stenavich, Troy Nolan, Brett Helms

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Why in the world would Carolina be willing to trade Deangelo Williams for a low 5th round pick and Jones?

Jackie Chiles likes this.
  3. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Our secondary would still blow chunks, and give up huge chunks of yardage with their massive cushions on short yardage.

4. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I know the title says unrealistic but a fifth round pick and Jacoby Jones for Williams is one of the worst trade proposals I have seen.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Totally agree, just took it from a discussion in another thread.

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

LOL @ the Panthers letting us fleece them like that!!!

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I'll hit a minor point. If OD is healthy there is no need for Pittman. Dreesen was pulling long snapping duty just fine. They only re-signed Pittman when Dreesen had to become the starter and they wanted to reduce his load.

More major point, while Marshall and AJ would be great together and instantly become hands down the best duo in the league I don't think Marshall will be happy as a #2 and anyone playing opposite AJ needs to understand that's going to be their role.

8. Ole Miss Texan

I really have no rebuttal. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them but I went with it. That trade was proposed (however unrealistic it is) and I went on to what else would I do to make the team better and before I knew it, I had wasted WAY too much time. :)
    Good point on the Pittman comment. I wasn't sure how all that went down. And if Dreessen was doing well then it definitely saves a roster spot.

Agree with the Marshall comment too. I was really banking on him thinking about how good he was with Matt Schaub throwing to him. He'd be #2, which he wouldn't want to be, but I was hoping if it was #2 to Andre Johnson and this would pretty much guarantee the #1 passing attack (or offense) in the league: Schaub - Andre, Marshall, Daniels and Walter then he'd be willing to do it for a legit championship possibility. Or even possibly be a part of one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL. Maybe I'm being a tad presumptuous (spelling?).

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

oh dear, what happened to Ole Miss :wacko:

10. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

Why does everyone want Jacoby traded all the time:kitten:

11. Ole Miss Texan

:rake:
    Because he's a tradeable asset. Developing as a deep threat WR and has excellent return skills. Kubiak's patience is wearing thin (my opinion, not necessarily fact) and it wouldn't surprise me if he's off the team next year due to contract or attitude/work ethic, etc. This is the last year on his contract. I'm a big believer of trading someone while you can get value for him before he hits free agency (if you feel confident you can replace him and he won't be back). For what it's worth I am a fan of Jacoby and was supportive of the pick. I knew he was a developmental pick and yes, I knew who he was and Lane College before the draft:)

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I don't think the Panthers would trade Deangelo for Adrian Peterson let alone Jacoby and a 5th

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

The whole thing sounds awful to me. I see disaster in this idea, not playoffs.

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Really??? This is a franchise that signed HWSRN as their saviour (well according to their fans, anyway) :D

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Yeah, but they didn't have to give up a stud RB to do it. We screwed ourselves and just let him walk with no compensation.

16. Ole Miss Texan

I guess that makes me a damn good GM then! LOL

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Dude... You rock!!! So much more you - over SecondHoneymoon!!!

:D

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I haven't even been on my third honeymoon yet. Darn.

19. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Brandon Marshall is OK. He's no AJ, not by a long shot. We aready have a strong WR Corp.