Glenn is Goner

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tacoman_j, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

According to the quote by the coach; one can deduce that Glenn is gone; no need for him.

(on safety Ceandris Brown) “When you get to this point in the draft, you are looking for guys with good height, weight, and speed that have had good productivity. When you take a defensive back at this point, you want a guy who can contribute on special teams. While they are learning the system they need to contribute on special teams. We feel Ceandris has those capabilities. We like for our guys to be able to play either way. If you look at Glenn Earl, Jammal Lord, and the young guys we have in the secondary, they have the size and speed that allows them to play either side. As you look at our secondary, we have a young secondary with exception of Marcus Coleman who is coming back at 31 years of age. We have some players that we think are ascending and still learning the system. Of course two starters in our secondary were rookies last season. We have also added Phillip Buchanon, who is young. Ceandris is going to fit in well with that group. It is exciting to have these young ascending players.”

houstontexans.com

2. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Umm, yeah, I didn't see Glenn's name mentioned in that statement at all. . . Coleman, but no Glenn...

3. Beastlyman2003

Beastlyman2003 Veteran

this blows. if they wanted to cut money or something, they shouldnt have resigned seth payne for an ungodly amout and overpaid for over-the-hill Gary Walker. We needed to keep AG. Next year, Drob wont be as good and p buch will still be unrefined, but im not the GM. This is some attempt to make our team younger by removing the cornerstones. This team is gonna be havin a top 10 pick next year, i dont want it, but its gonna happen. :thumbdown

4. texans

texans Veteran

why would D-rob be worse next year with a increaced pass rush and you forget this will be buchanes 4th year starting

5. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I agree, we need to keep Glenn for one more season to develope and guide the young guys, after that?????? Personally, I would keep him around as the nickle/dime DB for a couple of more years and then make him the DB coach after Hoak becomes the DC. He would need to re-do his contract to make this work though. Not sure how likely that is.

6. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I'd just keep him around until he retired which will be sooner rather than last it seems. He is a great character guy and will help our younger players learn the position and the defense.

7. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

He has lost a step and won't become PB back up. Thats what the nickel back is, a back up. The Texans have DRob, PB and Faggins to be their nickel back.

8. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

Where is this increased pass rush coming from?

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I guess Capers doesn't want his job after this season.

10. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Pretty much...It seems obvious to me that if we don't make a playoff run this year, at the bare minimum, Capers is gone...Fangio and Palmer are possibilities, too...

I've tried to find a good reason to cut/trade Glenn, and I can't come up with one...He's going to be 33, wow, great reason to cut the leader of your D...

11. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

No the leader of the D was cut earlier. Now we cut our secondary leader for a premadonna.

12. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

From all the OLBs and Tweeners we drafted this year!!!...errrrr

13. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Sharper begged for someone to show him the way...Sounds like a leader to me :rolleyes:...

14. Rovator

Rovator Veteran

Am I the only one who doesn't think that Glenn "lost a step"? If I remember correctly, I thought he struggled early in the season (injury perhaps? or maybe Robinson and Coleman struggling?), but by the end of the year I thought he was back to playing really well.

15. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

It's hard to tell if he lost a step or just had trouble adjusting to the new coverage rules at the beginning of the season...

16. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like Glenn, but we also know that there could be some guys available after June 1st. This team is putting themselves in a situation to help themselves at that point and sign their draft picks easily. It didn't make sense to sign Faggins to a long-term deal to have him be the fourth corner. Maybe I'm naive, but it doesn't seem that wise to sign a player like Faggins to that kind of contract to serve a critical role in two games. Besides, if we were really that concerned with the Colts, why didn't we draft Barron to block Freeney?

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

When did Capers become the personnel man? That's CC and he seems to be in McNair's good graces. It does suck about AG. I really think we should keep him, but I'm not so sure it's as much about us wanting him gone as it is AG doesn't want to be a back up at this point in his career. And CC is pretty much adamant about taking BPA in the draft(except 1st round usually)and not drafting the "popular pick". Gonna be a heck of a fun time seeing how it unfolds this year.

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Barron wasn't as highly rated by a lot of teams as it sounded like. All 32 teams put out a lot of smoke in the draft. I would have been apoplectic if we drafted Barron.

19. Beastlyman2003

Beastlyman2003 Veteran

We only drafted one OLB and we got em in the 7th round. He wont even make the 53 man roster. Think first.

20. texman8

texman8 Veteran

Me thinks he was being sarcastic. Yuk! yuk!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.