Glenn Earl

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Doom Capers, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

Does anyone know if he will be a starter next year? I sure hope so, I think the kid has a lot of promise.

2. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i hope so...i know he didn't get a pick this year but he was learning a lot real quick and he shows a lot of promise...of course if for some reason we draft thomas davis in the draft he won't get his chance

3. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

Yeah, but I don't think they will draft T. Davis. Earl should get his chance. Dom Capers normally has a pretty good idea of talent when he drafts it. I remember watching that Green Bay at Houston game, Earl and Robinson were leveling some people. Those two make a good team in the secondary.

4. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

The fact Earl played this year is pretty good.He had knee surgery at Notre Dame in 2003. :banana:

5. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I like Earl and I think he plays well against the run and pretty good in coverage, but if T.Davis was to fall to us in the draft, I dont think that we would pass him up unless DJ also fell. Maybe we would start TD at FS and Earl at SS. I know that we have Coleman but he is getting old.

6. THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Rookie

Yeah I saw a lot of promise in Earl, like one of yall said, this guy wasn't supposed to see a lot of time with his knee injury that basically sat him his senior year and thats why we got him in the 4th round compared to a late first or early 2nd, what he would have been if healthy.

I like the way he comes up and stops the run, what I like in a strong saftey. He plays very phyiscal, and I think this is what this team needs. Getting better at pass coverage, not the best, what you would expect from a rookie. But getting his knee back to full strenght and an offseason of work outs and we could have ourselfs a very solid SS.

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:howdy: With Dunta and Earl thats a couple of rookies in the secondary who started .If I were to draft another DB in the first it would be corner at 13.I would deem him to good to pass up.

8. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

drafting another corner may not be a bad idea...if carlos rogers or antrell rolle somehow were there at number 13 it might be a good idea to pick them up since aaron glenn is pretty close to retirement himself

9. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Rolle is consisdared a top 5 pick and Rogers is a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. This darft is pretty deep at the CB position.

10. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I remember a little of Earl before he hurt himself at Notre Dame. I liked the job that he did this year and next season he will be 18 months removed from the knee injury so he should be even better.

11. TexSon

TexSon Hall of Fame

:twocents:
    Earl I like. I don't see any reason to draft a safety in the early rounds.

If we happen to draft a corner early, I think we bring him along slower than Dunta. Stick him in the nickel and let him learn this complex defense slowly. Glenn is still a good corner and I believe still has a couple of years left in him. I think the lack of push from the D-line, as well as the rule changes made it appear as if he had lost his edge, but I think he bounces back strong next year.

12. 281

281 Hall of Fame

Earl is a SS.

13. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

:thud: what have you been reading? the thought that earl would start at FS is pretty wild. at the SS position he is there mostly for run support and to cover TEs and such. at the FS he would need to excel in coverage LIKE coleman. and i believe that is one of his weaknesses

14. AndreJ

AndreJ All Pro

Yeah i thought that comment was pretty weird also. Why would we move Earl to FS where he would have to learn the game from a dif. position and waste a year of learning?

15. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

leave earl where he is. Our D seemed to play the run a lot better when he was in there, and it seems the scondary also improved as well for some reason, could be mcree and faggins helping that situation though !