Glenn Earl Probably Starts

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Based on Capers comments I'd say we can expect Earl to take the starting job for good starting Sunday. Earl would probably have been starting since the third game if not for his hip injury. Capers is giving Brown his respect, but I'd be shocked if he got the nod. He was horrible last Sunday.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2891376

2. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Cant say I didnt see that coming...

3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Looks to be the right move IMO.

4. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

I hope Earl does start, Secondary has looked much better with Earl in ! Plus myswell get all our young blood some time, They are the future !

5. |The.Brand0n|

|The.Brand0n| Rookie

SS Thomas Davis - University of Georgia

BTW, Would Antrel Rolle not make a badass SS?
    (Yes, I know we dont have shot at him)

6. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

The weakest links will always be exploited. Brown would have been hit harder, earlier by opponents if not for Dunta still getting his feet wet. As we upgrade different positions, the weakest of the group will feel the negative effects as the attention is shifted to them.

I like what I saw of Earl in the game (and when he played some earlier on) He seems to react really well to the run, and while I haven't seen him in coverage much he will only improve.

7. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

Browns just not fast enough if ya ask me, Earl looks very good !

8. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Good move. He deserves the job.

9. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Never liked Brown to tell you the truth and Earl was very physical in the Denver game. I wonder though if Marlon McCree will play significantly this week because we need veterans who know the game, specially this week with the game in Indy.

10. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I personally like the hard hitting of Jason Simmons, but with the lackluster performance of Eric Brown last weekend....Earl deserves the starting nod.

11. wags

wags Hall of Fame

:whoohoo:

12. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I've been impressed with Earl, and I was one of the people that didn't think he'd have a significant impact this season. I'll eat crow on this one, because he seems to play the run very well and he's shown pretty good awareness. He's made his run/pass reads pretty quickly, and he's just as quick to react. All this from a recently injured rookie is a bit surprising, and I felt he would show his stuff next season. So much for that logic. He could be even better next season, and that's saying alot. I definately wouldn't mind him starting this week at Indy.

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Earl is going to be a playmaker in our secondary for a long time, nice to see him catch on his rookie year. Him playing now will surely help us later.

However, I wouldnt be surprised to see Brown on the field in running situations....

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

off topic.. but id like to know why McRee isnt a starting FS. maybe they were just trying to keep all our playmakers on the field so they moved Coleman to FS so we could have Glenn and Robinson out there.. but really.. McRee from all reports before he joined us... is a great young FS. Still learning, but a good player. when we first got him he came right in and started basicly.. so you cant really judge him based on that, since he could not have known our system.

I just wonder if he has shown that he isnt ready for it in practice.. or if we just wanted Coleman on the field.. or what.. But id like to see Mcree out there.

15. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Capers and Casserly have mentioned that alot of the guys we have been accustomed to starting in the previous years may be seen less and less as the talent level increases on the team. Earl just may be showing that much more promise.

16. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Brown's coverage skills have always been suspect.

17. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

For sure! He was toasted yesterday, but in his defense, he wasn't the only one. The rollouts really screwed with our secondary, and I'm sure we will see more of that from even semi-mobile QB's until we show we can defend it better. Earl looked better to me all the way around. I think he is the SS of the future for sure, and maybe the present. Let's see how he performs against a master of the play fake in Peyton Manning. He will need to be quick in his reads, or he will be toasted as bad or worse than Brown.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

agree'd I wouldn't be surprised to see all the Texans cb's in & out, trying to confuse by showing multiple formations, staying fresh & containing a far more dangerous QB than Jake the snake Plummer. The AFC South seems pass friendly hopefully a SS like Earl will make the Colt WR's think twice, bring in Lord and get even more physical.

19. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

-chron

i dont know if i would risk starting him in all situations since he hasnt gotten much work. i think we will see alot of mcree in 3rd downs though. but i would like to see him on the field all the time eventually. he looked great against the run though

20. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Either him or Donte Nicolson from OU, but Im happy Earl is starting. I have never liked the way Brown played the pass. Did you see the way Earl was hitting the RBs.