Glenn Dorsey on the trade block

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by mussop, Oct 14, 2009.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Should we ake a look?

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/10/14/report-chiefs-down-on-glenn-dorsey/

Report: Chiefs down on Glenn Dorsey

Posted by Anthony Stalter (10/14/2009 @ 11:05 am)

According to NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora, the Chiefs are already down on former first round pick Glenn Dorsey and are willing to trade him. La Canfora writes that the new coaching staff isn’t high on Dorsey and that the salary cap ramifications wouldn’t be a deterrent in dealing him before the October 20 deadline.

This isn’t shocking news considering that Dorsey isn’t a fit for the Chiefs’ new 3-4 defensive front. He excels at shooting the gaps as a 4-3 tackle, which is what he played at LSU. He isn’t big enough to play nose in a 3-4, and his pass-rush talents are wasted as an end in a 3-4.

If the report is true and the Chiefs do plan to trade him, one team that could be interested in Dorsey is the Falcons. They were reportedly deciding between Dorsey and Matt Ryan in last year’s draft and there was also a rumor that the Falcons were interested in trading for the D-tackle before this year’s draft.

The Falcons addressed their defensive tackle need in April with the selection of first round pick Peria Jerry. But he suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2 and the Falcons could use an interior pass-rusher to go along with Jonathan Babineaux. Once Jerry is healthy, the Falcons could have a fantastic defensive tackle rotation in Babineaux, Jerry and Dorsey (assuming they trade for Dorsey).

But would it be worth it for the Falcons to part with draft picks next year to acquire Drosey? Again, they’ve already addressed the need with Jerry, who will return to health next year (hopefully) and they also don’t have a second round pick in 2010 because of the trade for Tony Gonzalez. I doubt the Chiefs would part with Dorsey for a third rounder, so would the Falcons part with a first rounder? It’s doubtful.

Man I wonder if they would take a second rounder for him?

2. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Saw it on NFL.com, depending on what kind of trade they're suggesting we should take a look?

Do I remember correctly that he has a pretty heavy contract one would have to pick up in a trade?

3. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Interesting. Dorsey looked like a for sure stud to me coming out of college. He looked like a can't miss type of player. I don't know if I'd want to reach with any of our draft picks for a guy that even the Chiefs don't want. Plus, if Kubes isn't here next season we could possibly hire a coach that doesn't want to run a 4-3. Seems like bad timing to me as far as the Texans would be concerned.

Plus the guy's got an insane rookie contract.

4. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Seems a bit redundant to have two underperforming 3-tech DT's and he doesn't address our need of a big space-eater in the middle. But, he does fit this regime's M.O. of athletic linemen.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Problem is that he's too big to play DT here.

Don't know or understand why. It just is.

6. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

He's worth a first rounder.

7. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

NFL forum imo.

We'd have the same problems with Dorsey that we have with Okoye and they play the same position. Plus, Okoye is starting to put together some consistent games. We dont need basically the same player taking reps from him and slowing down his growth process. We need a DT who can drop anchor and not give up ground at the LOS. Dorsey doesn't fit the bill.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Does anybody understand this philosophy? Where did it come from? Where has it been successful? Who's responsible for implementing it?

I'm seriously puzzled by it.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I would think the old man would impose a no-trade sanction on Smith-Kubiak during this season given how shaky the teams doing in Kubiaks 4th season, especially for a deal for a player like Dorsey that's gonna involve some serious consideration in cash, draft picks, and/or players.

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah, I would think so as well. I hope so any way.

11. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

From my understanding, it was popularized by the Tampa 2 defenses that values penetration and getting up field by the front four to be effective.

Mr. White likes this.
  12. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I understand it, I just think its really freakin stupid.

13. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I think its just been a bad situatoin from the beginning in KC. He wa injured alot his first year now he is coming along but having to play out of position and in the doghouse with a new coaching staff. If we could get him for a second round pick we would be crazy not to go after him. He was widely considered the best player in the draft when he came out.

Despite several injuries Dorsey made his average run tackle last season after a gain of just 1.5 yards, the best figure of any of the Chiefs' defensive linemen. Remember Mario didnt blow anyone away his first year either. We should be taking a long hard look at him if these rumors are true. Its not like he isnt an upgrade over what we have.

14. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Just goes to further show that truly great DTs are almost impossible to scout. I read somewhere that more 1st round DTs turn out to be busts than any other position, including QB.

I'd be happy if we never drafted another DT in the 1st round.

15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

It's a crazy failure rate.

16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Yep. I facepalm everytime I see another person on the board wanting ANOTHER 1st round tackle.

17. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Would not give up more than a sixth. They know more than we do about him. My theory on Dline high draft choices is your in a coin flip on whether the guys got HEART and DESIRE and is going to turn into something or if the something he is going to turn into is Fat and Lazy. Dline you gotta have HEART and DESIRE. Really don't want to give up any draft choice for him. Money only is no problem

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

He is 6'2" 295 range. I don't understand your comment.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Based on what?

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

There you go. Good Post