Givens signs with Titans

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Errant Hothy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Browns | Team wastes no time in signing Givens
    Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:01:46 -0800

Zac Jackson, of ClevelandBrowns.com, reports the Cleveland Browns wasted no time in free agency by signing free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) to an undisclosed contract.

per kffl

I'm willing to bet the Browns threw a big bag of money at him.

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

there is a Patriot connection there as well you know.

3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Damn at 11pm I had forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder.

4. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Umm, don't jump the gun too fast....according to KFFL.com:

Dolphins | Team will visit with Givens
    Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:20:03 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the Miami Dolphins have arranged a visit with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) for Saturday, March 11. Apparently, earlier reports of Givens signing with the Cleveland Browns were premature.

5. samomin

samomin Veteran

Yeah that was wayyyy too quick to sign somebody (within an hour?). I remember Jeff Posey signed quickly but it wasn't that quick i think.

6. samomin

samomin Veteran

Good news finally if true. Givens scheduled to visit Texans Sunday, if he escapes Miami that is. From espn:

7. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

good news for us in that he's scheduled to visit. Bad news is the amount of money we will have to throw at him. It would be a huge booster to our receiver corps though. My prediction is that if we sign him, I could see Gaffney/Bradford not back.

8. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Nice to see him come for a visit...may fall in love withthe system, facilities, and town

9. wenskek

wenskek Rookie

this would be a huge sign if we could get him and he could be a major factor opposite of aj, hopefully they can get it done

10. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

he's from here (humble, i think), so hopefully that is not an issue.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Humble H.S. is correct. This is home.

He's worth a look but they need to make sure his knee troubles are behind him. He's also looking for a big pay day since he's only one year removed from a rookie 7th round contract (RFA mid-level tender last year). Dude is built like a SS - can't help but think of his HS protege David Boston. He's not a burner but was very productive in the Pats scheme the last two years.
    [​IMG]

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130003

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The fact that Givins is even willing to come and talk about being a Texan is a good sign after the dismal season they had last year . :twocents:

13. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I hope that's the case, but some players tend to start off their FA trips by visiting with the cellar dweller teams in hopes of increasing their market value if one of those teams offers a juicy contract. They can then go around and see if any team with a brighter future comes close to matching or beating that offer. If so they sign with the better team, and if not they might still sign with the better team that offers less $$. All depends on the player's perspective.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Do you know of any specific young/2nd contract kind of guys (at least not guys looking for a last contract like a Ty Law) who definitively have taken less money to go to a specific team after receiving multiple offers? Tom Brady took a cap friendly 2nd contract but never visited anyone else or got any other offers and quickly ended up with a 3rd contract.

It makes perfect sense that if all things are equal a player will go to a winner, but what is commonly stated is things have to be really unequal for players not to go to a winner. There should be some specific examples of that if it's commonly true.

15. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Hopefully someone offers him good money and he does not make it here. I dont want to spend big money on any FA unless they are a stud. Givens is a mid level player at best and is not worth big money.

16. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Agreed.

17. Aussie

Aussie Rookie

yup......would be a major upgrade for us but he will be too expensive.

18. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

We need to go after some D-linemen, unless we plan on taking Mario. It would be nice to have Givens, but we have to be smart with our money.

19. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Gives would be a very solid numbe 2 receiver. Ideally I would like to bring him in at a fair value contract and possibly resign Gaffney as the third WR. However, it is likely that Givens would mean the end of Gaffney, thus, making Mathis our third WR.

Weaver and Givens, are we looking at anyone who did not go to ND. I know Shanahan values players with smarts, looks like Kubiak might be following the same mold.

20. Aussie

Aussie Rookie

A trade down to get more picks and mario would be awsome, he is gonna be a freak. as far as leber who i didnt address in my previous post i just say why?? why spend money on leber? draft anoth LB in the mid rds and ull get comparible talent for less money.